NPC´s cause Stutter/Stutter-spikes (might be interesting for authors)

StillInMemory

This is old but I have some new infos to share.

After many many years, finally.

Yes, we were correct, it's related to facegen.

Why? You might ask, well...

Every NPC has it's FACE data prebuild by the CK and saved in the texture ba2's. If you now manipulate a NPC who has face data or create a new NPC with it's own face. There is no face data! This leads to stutter! Because everything is done on the fly, ingame! Yes!

Everytime you overwrite a NPC that has face data, the original face data is no longer used! It looks like that:

(We assume that ID: 00012233 is a raider face NPC. This one is referenced as trait template for others. )

Original:

Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\Fallout4.esm\00012233_x.DDS

Changed:

Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\YourMod.esp\

The game now tries to find the related face data within the 'Changed' path, which probably does not exist, if you didn't regenerate the data with the CK.

The result is, depending on how many NPCs the engine has to progress: Stutter.

Easy, isn't it?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is old but I have some new infos to share.

After many many years, finally.

Yes, we were correct, it's related to facegen.

Why? You might ask, well...

Every NPC has it's FACE data prebuild by the CK and saved in the texture ba2's. If you now manipulate a NPC who has face data or create a new NPC with it's own face. There is no face data! This leads to stutter! Because everything is done on the fly, ingame! Yes!

Everytime you overwrite a NPC that has face data, the original face data is no longer used! It looks like that:

(We assume that ID: 00012233 is a raider face NPC. This one is referenced as trait template for others. )

Original:

Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\Fallout4.esm\00012233_x.DDS

Changed:

Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\YourMod.esp\

The game now tries to find the related face data within the 'Changed' path, which probably does not exist, if you didn't regenerate the data with the CK.

The result is, depending on how many NPCs the engine has to progress: Stutter.

Easy, isn't it?

I'm really sorry for my poor english, but I need you to be patient.
I have a question about your explanation. If it is true, then how can I avoid stuttering when I modified NPC's face templete such as random spawn raiders?
1.I modified raider face templete such as encRaiderFace01~05 using Face Ripper. (called RaiderFace.esp)
2.I made facegen files using CK(Ctrl+F4) and compressed them to RaiderFace - main.ba2 and RaiderFace - textures.ba2
(Path of facegen files are same with vanila Fallout4. ex)Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\Fallout4.esm\000XXXXX_n.dds)
3. I Installed them using MO2
But, heavy stuttering still exist when my character entered the specific cell(raider spawn cell). Removed the mod, then stuttering has gone.
I also make copies of facegen files and put them into changed path(ex) Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomiztaion\RaiderFace.esp\000XXXXX_n.dds), but nothing changed.
Is there something I missed? How can I avoid or remove that facegen stuttering? I look forward to your reply. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to confirm from the beginning of this discussion that face textures mods and NPC's mods are indeed incompatible sometimes.

In my case I've had a lot of stutter recently (between Red Rocket and Concord) so I disabled ONLY Raider Overhaul WIP and the stutter was gone. Then I disabled ONLY the 2k face texture mod and again stutter was gone. So Raider Overhaul and the texture face mod obviously didn't work well together. Unfortunately I had to choose between one of them.

An easy way to fix Raideroverhaul, delete all NPC records. They are not needed to get the joy of the mod. I fixed the ESP and added it to my Better Locational Damage mod as replacer ESP.

• 2 weeks later...

An easy way to fix Raideroverhaul, delete all NPC records. They are not needed to get the joy of the mod. I fixed the ESP and added it to my Better Locational Damage mod as replacer ESP.

Do I need to do anything else besides delete them with FO4Edit? also wouldn't that cause a CTD? I would use your replacer but with all due respect, I do not use BLD.

Edited by FireStar999

Delete all NPCs and then check the record for errors. xEdit will tell you, where NPCs are missing as reference.

• 2 months later...

It applies to all mods, which change face appearances by an ESP. This also counts for companion overhaul mods.

(This does not include texture overhauls, like body replacer.)