[LE] [Papyrus Help] Obtaining forms from another script

Preface: I am going to simplify my scripts to ease troubleshooting.

I have script "A", which is used to declare properties that global functions in script "B" can use.

Script "A":

ScriptName rsAPI_Properties Extends Quest
    {Contains all the properties for rsAPI scripts}

MiscObject Property myMiscObjectProperty Auto

Script "B":

ScriptName rsAPI_Functions Extends Quest Hidden
    {Contains all the functions for the rsAPI scripts}
    ;This function gets the forms from Script "A"
    rsAPI_Properties Function GetFrameworkProperties() Global
      return (Game.GetFormFromFile(0x294A97, "MyPlugin.esp") as Quest) as rsAPI_Properties
    EndFunction

;This function gets a specific form from Script "A" with the help of the above function.
    MiscObject Function GetMiscObject() Global
      return GetFrameworkProperties().myMiscObjectProperty
    EndFunction

;This function is an example of how I would like to handle the miscobject passed from Script "A"
    Function GivePlayerMiscObject(int howMany) Global
      Game.GetPlayer().AddItem((GetMiscObject()), howMany); I have tried declaring a MiscObject outside this command as well, but neither worked.
    EndFunction

The second function in Script "B" is used to return a miscobject, but it only returns NONE. This way of obtaining a property from another script seems to only work for certain types of forms. The properties have been defined in the CK in Script "A".

Any pointers papyrus wizards?

p.s. The reason I am approaching it this way is because Script "A" and Script "B" are an API of sorts. I want to use a function in Script "B" that references properties in Script "A" after passing parameters directly from Script "C", which would utilize the third function in Script "B" like this:

Script "C":

ScriptName GivePlayerItem Extends Activator
    {Utilizes the rsAPI framework to give the player 2 MiscObjects}

Event OnActivate(Actor akActionRef)
      rsAPI_Functions.GivePlayerMiscObject(2)
    EndEvent

Has anyone had any luck returning a form aside from Globalvariables in this context?

You may need a slight change. Pretty sure that you cannot have a script return as the result of a function.

rsAPI_Properties PropertyScript

PropertyScript = (Game.GetFormFromFile(0x00294A97, "MyPlugin.esp") as Quest) as rsAPI_Properties
    EndFunction

;This function gets a specific form from Script "A" with the help of the above function.
      GetFrameworkProperties()
      return PropertyScript.myMiscObjectProperty
    EndFunction

;This function is an example of how I would like to handle the miscobject passed from Script "A"
      Game.GetPlayer().AddItem((GetMiscObject()), howMany); I have tried declaring a MiscObject outside this command as well, but neither worked.
    EndFunction

However, it may simply be that you do not have enough digits in your GetFormFromFile call. You are missing the leading zeros. It should be: 0x00294a97

0x tells Papyrus that it is a hex value

00 is load order position and must be present. In this case, it is viewed from the perspective of the target plugin irregardless of any other loaded plugin. Thus it will always be 00.

The last 6 digits are the object's editor ID number as found in the target plugin.

I would test again with the corrected hex value before doing anything else.

I've used properties to pass all kinds of form information back and forth, ranging from ActiveMagicEffects (which don't even inherit from Form!) to Quests to custom extensions. That is probably not the problem. I think your issue is likely in the GetFrameworkProperties function; does it return correctly? Have you instrumented it or looked at a debug log?

It looks like those calls should all work. Yes, you can return any form type including those defined by scripts.

Are you getting any errors in the Papyrus log?

You can try adding some Debug.Trace lines to get a better idea of what exactly is failing.

Form mp = Game.GetFormFromFile(0x294A97, "MyPlugin.esp")
      Debug.Trace("Form: " + mp)
      Debug.Trace("Quest: " + (mp as Quest))
      Debug.Trace("Props: " + ((mp as Quest) as rsAPI_Properties))
      return (Game.GetFormFromFile(0x294A97, "MyPlugin.esp") as Quest) as rsAPI_Properties
    EndFunction

Debug.Trace("FWP: " +  GetFrameworkProperties())
      Debug.Trace("MOP: " +  GetFrameworkProperties().myMiscObjectProperty)
    EndFunction

EndFunction

You may need a slight change. Pretty sure that you cannot have a script return as the result of a function.

The quest that script "A" is attached to is the object being returned by GetFrameworkProperties(). This allows me to reach into the quest and get the properties.

However, it may simply be that you do not have enough digits in your GetFormFromFile call. You are missing the leading zeros. It should be: 0x00294a97

0x tells Papyrus that it is a hex value

00 is load order position and must be present. In this case, it is viewed from the perspective of the target plugin irregardless of any other loaded plugin. Thus it will always be 00.

The last 6 digits are the object's editor ID number as found in the target plugin.

I would test again with the corrected hex value before doing anything else.

I will most certainly try this, although I can return Globalvariables as it is right now anyways.

I've used properties to pass all kinds of form information back and forth, ranging from ActiveMagicEffects (which don't even inherit from Form!) to Quests to custom extensions. That is probably not the problem. I think your issue is likely in the GetFrameworkProperties function; does it return correctly? Have you instrumented it or looked at a debug log?

When I used this process to return Globalvariable objects, it works. When I try to return a MiscObject, it returns NONE instead. Very strange though I admit I should be running checks more often.

It looks like those calls should all work. Yes, you can return any form type including those defined by scripts.

Are you getting any errors in the Papyrus log?

You can try adding some Debug.Trace lines to get a better idea of what exactly is failing.

Form mp = Game.GetFormFromFile(0x294A97, "MyPlugin.esp")
      Debug.Trace("Form: " + mp)
      Debug.Trace("Quest: " + (mp as Quest))
      Debug.Trace("Props: " + ((mp as Quest) as rsAPI_Properties))
    EndFunction

Debug.Trace("FWP: " +  GetFrameworkProperties())
      Debug.Trace("MOP: " +  GetFrameworkProperties().myMiscObjectProperty)
    EndFunction

EndFunction

I will check the logs and get back to you.

Edited by TripleSixes

When I used this process to return Globalvariable objects, it works. When I try to return a MiscObject, it returns NONE instead. Very strange though I admit I should be running checks more often.

You're certain the property is filled out? Have you instrumented that as well?