Creation Kit NPC Facial Textures Help

LieutenantHawk

A small question (a bit out of discution) : How to convert ESM to ESP? TESVnip doesn't seems to do the job

Just load the .esm in TESnip, open the TES4 record and un-tick the .esm box, save that window, then just save the whole thing as an .esp instead of an .esm.

Ow that was easy enought :). Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small question (a bit out of discution) : How to convert ESM to ESP? TESVSnip doesn't seems to do the job

Wrye Bash will do this task. It has esmify and espify commands on the menu you get when you rightclick on a mod.

For this workaround to work, it has to be an .esm. If the actors are loaded from an .esp, it won't work even if you have the exported meshes. At least, I haven't gotten it to work.

Are you sure? Does this mean that they have fixed the Oblivion bug where if you have one .esm editing the main .esm such as Skyrim.esm, you get horrendous bugs like the ground disappears below you and all the actors and loose objects fall into the underworld and then splat when they land. In a milder version of the bug, all the non-persistent objects in Tamriel disappear and the world is rather empty. You mostly just see actors walking around on a moonscape dotted with doors. This is why Oblivion modders never have another .esm edit Oblivion.esm, that is work for an .esp.

I followed most of your advice except for the part about leaving the file as an .esm. When I play-tested on my machine, the two-colored skin problem with my NPCs was fixed. Are you saying that it is only fixed on my machine, and when I upload the mod it will not be fixed on other people's machines even if I package the proper files?

I don't really know much about the intricacies of modding, but I haven't encountered any of the problems you mention with my .esms. I didn't in F3/NV either, as far as I can remember.

Just to be clear, your fixed NPCs are custom NPCs, right? Not merely edited vanilla ones? And they are loaded from your .esp and not only left in-game from a save that relied on an .esm? If you resurrect them, they stay fixed and do not revert? If this is the case, I'd very much like to know what you did, because I have not managed to get it to work.

Eeh do I have to add anything to IA Packages in order my followers not leaving me after I load a save? :/

It also causes me troubles with "Jordir: Seems like u've got a follower already" and Jordir is the same follower I had before the load >.< (also respawns to the cell I have set him to spawn by default/start).

Edited by sanwyrth

I'm trying to modify the facial appearance of existing vanilla NPC's. Namely, Lydia and Muiri. I've tried to follow the instructions given previously in this thread but my ctrl-f4 doesn't work. I looked through the hotkey links in the CK menu bar and nothing is linked to ctrl-f4. So my question is what is the actual command/function that ctrl-f4 is supposed to be linked to? Can't I just use the menu bar and click on the appropriate command to export the textures and whatnot?

Here's what I've done:

1) load Skyrim.esm into the CK, modify the facial appearance of Lydia and Muiri, save as ModifiedActors.esp

2) load ModifiedActors.esp into TESVsnip and save as ModifiedActors.esm

3) load ModifiedActors.esm into the CK, navigate to the modified Lydia and select (dark blue highlight), press ctrl-f4 [nothing happens. what's the actual command?]

As I understand it, once I solve this ctrl-f4 problem, a new file will be created in a new folder called FaceGenData which I will then place in my Data/Textures/Character folder? Will there also be a meshes file that I place in my Data/Meshes/Character folder? I'm unclear about this part.

Then, do I only load my ModifiedActors.esm into the game? What do I do with the .esp file? I might need to respawn Lydia and Muiri using their new ID codes?

If anyone knows of a clear tutorial to link to or can CLEARLY list the steps in this process, I would be very grateful. I'm not an experienced modder (obviously). I did some level building in Half-Life a loooong time ago but I'm new to Bethesda modding.

Thanks!

To be clear, if you modify an NPC that exists already in Skyrim, you DO NOT need an esm file. Go ahead and keep the changes in an esp. This will insure that the texture and mesh changes are saved into a folder that includes "Skyrim.esm" in the path. And it works.

If you have problems with Ctrl-F4, it's probably because you need to navigate through the object parent "Actor" to that NPC. Ctrl-F4 will not work from the "All" selection in the object editor (another editor WTF). This ability is undocumented, so I wouldn't be surprised if it stops working altogether in the future. :wallbash:

Eeh do I have to add anything to IA Packages in order my followers not leaving me after I load a save? :/

It also causes me troubles with "Jordir: Seems like u've got a follower already" and Jordir is the same follower I had before the load >.< (also respawns to the cell I have set him to spawn by default/start).

I'm having exactly the same problem! Would be grateful for any help/advice regarding this issue as it is extremely frustrating to always fast travel back to the follower's original location to pick him up every time I reload. Any ideas?

David, the NPC's could be in the .esm and everything else in the .esp. That would be the best solution to prevent issues with the worldspace. i have the same issue with my mod. It affects about 10 cells scattered throughout Skyrim and I have near 30 NPC's. Funny thing is I saved my esp as an esm without checking the esm box, loaded it into the CK and exported the data. then I renamed the meshes and texture folder to esp instead of esm. played the game without the esm loaded, just the original esp and all the NPC's had the correct face tint and there was no changes to the esp at all and the esm is not its master.

Go to Character>Headpart>Male/Female>Extra Part/Head Part, find the scar you want and drag it to the Additional Head Parts field of the Character Gen Parts tab in the Actor window. You may have to delete the NoScar entry that's already there if the actor has no scars (I can't remember if it's required). Note that the scar will only be visible in the CK if you use the Full body view; it doesn't show up in the Head view.

Thanks! that fixed one of my Problems but is anyone having a Problem Changing skin color Eye makeup and Lip colors? i cant quite figure those out?