Settings problem after new 1440p monitor (21:9 ratio)

Karmamuscle

Hi,

I got a new monitor with 21:9 ratio at 3440x1440 and I'm running into a problem with FPS and adjustment of the settings.

With my old 1080p monitor I just used the FO4 launcher, turned everything to Ultra, disabled Lens Flare and Motion Blur, don't like either.

However, if I do this with the new monitor, my FPS tank to an average of 20 with the best being 29.

Here's the odd part, if I fire up nVIDIA Experience, go to custom settings, crank it to maximum quality and press Apply, I get 50-60 FPS, with some dips to 40 at certain areas.

As long as I don't do anything else, it will stay like this.

Now, as mention above, I'm not a fan of Lens Flare or Motion Blur.

But if I open the launcher, go into settings and disable those, then the game will be back to the ~20 FPS.

I'm hoping someone has some insight into this. :smile:

-Karmamuscle

Hi

I use a 3440 X 1440 monitor.

My GTX 980 TI was fine at 1440 but it struggled when I went widescreen. I replaced it with a GTX 1080 & it is running fine if I don't use Reshade/ENB(potato).

3440 X 1440 is a lot of pixels(4.9 million). 1080 is only 2 million pixels. You need 2 GTX 1070s to get really good performance.

I also run a 4k rig with a GTX 1080ti. At that resolution it is a potato also.

To get decent frame rate switch off Anti analyzing. You don't need it at that resolution.

Have shadows set to medium.

Set anisotropic filtering to 4 or less.

Ambient occlusion set to high.

DoF low.

Decals, lighting & godrays ultra.

Use adaptive vsync in the driver.

Distances on ultra

That should put you in the 50s & the game will look fantastic.

When modding the game stay away from Reshade/ENB. If you want a different look try something like Vivid Weathers.

Also there are some great wide screen mods on this site. You don't need Flawless Widescreen for this game.

Later

Thank you for the reply, had no clue I needed a mod to fix the Ultra Wide UI. :)

Got it running 60 fps on my 1070, with a dip into the high 40s in central Boston.

Disabled SSAO and NVHBAO, and dialed down the numbers by a third in the [TerrainManager] and [Grass] settings.

Disabled two mods I had for more trees and grass, they seem to demand a lot from shadows and light settings.

Tried disabled TAA, but I can't play with that, saw jagged edges everywhere. :smile:

If anyone stumbles upon this thread looking for similar answers, here's my Fallout4Prefs.ini https://pastebin.com/wxTGC9J1

-KarmaMuscle

Hi

I really don't see much difference between the AA settings at 1440. It may be my old eyes.

Here is a full screen test of all 3.

463226-1502660741.jpg

463226-1502660823.jpg

463226-1502666843.jpg

For some unknown reason I get screen tear with TAA.

Later