Creation Kit Editor Window - Bold Font Problem ?

A couple weeks ago, my computer decided to go all death-screen on me and I had to reinstall the OS. All my files were recovered, no problem, but even since I reinstalled the Creation Kit, the font for the editor window, object window, etc. have all been bold. I don't mind the way it looks, but it makes the windows too large to see the whole thing and I can't actually read half the text in some windows (like actor editing, for instance). I'm doing my best to work around it, but it's making me crazy. I tried making the font smaller for my whole computer, but it didn't affect the Creation Kit font. I've searched and searched, but it seems I'm the only person with this problem. Does anyone know what I can do? (See attached pictures for what I'm dealing with here.)

Thank you in advance!

This might be a long shot, but do you use any sort of font management software like Suitcase, for example? If you are, that might be something to look at. It's not uncommon for some font managers to activate the wrong weight of a font and cause the wrong font to display in an application. And if you are using a font manager and have been "upgraded" to the Windows 10 Creator Edition, it breaks font activation...in Suitcase, anyway. The fix for that it to uninstall, then reinstall Suitcase. Not sure about other font managers.

If you're NOT using any font management tools, you might try removing (don't delete it yet in case this doesn't work) your CreationKitPrefs.ini file from your Fallout 4 game folder and seeing if that helps. If there is no change, then put it back so you won't have to recreate any preference changes you've made. I don't know if there are any interface font settings in the CreationKit.ini, but that might be another thing to try temporarily removing to see if that clears it up.

This might be a long shot, but do you use any sort of font management software like Suitcase, for example? If you are, that might be something to look at. It's not uncommon for some font managers to activate the wrong weight of a font and cause the wrong font to display in an application. And if you are using a font manager and have been "upgraded" to the Windows 10 Creator Edition, it breaks font activation...in Suitcase, anyway. The fix for that it to uninstall, then reinstall Suitcase. Not sure about other font managers.

If you're NOT using any font management tools, you might try removing (don't delete it yet in case this doesn't work) your CreationKitPrefs.ini file from your Fallout 4 game folder and seeing if that helps. If there is no change, then put it back so you won't have to recreate any preference changes you've made. I don't know if there are any interface font settings in the CreationKit.ini, but that might be another thing to try temporarily removing to see if that clears it up.

I'm not using any font management software, but maybe that would fix the problem. I'll try downloading it. As for CreationKitPrefs.ini, I'll go check that. I tried looking up if there was anything in CreationKitCustom I could change, but to no avail. Thank you so much, and I'll post here if I get it solved for anyone else who might have this problem.

Also, sidenote, your videos on YouTube have helped me a lot. I started making mods about two months ago and you got me out of more than a few jams (and now, one more), so thank you! You're awesome. <3

If you aren't already using a font manager, chances are you don't need one. No need to go out and install something to add more complexity. If it isn't part of the equation, no need to potentially make it part of the problem. :wink:

I only grasped at the font manager straw because I use Suitcase every day at home and work and having it turn off fonts or display the wrong weight of a font is something is deal with a on regular basis. That's not what's going on, so my only other wild guess would be a problem with your system font cache that is causing the CK to load the wrong font weight...only a W.A.G. though. If you happen to notice any other programs doing the same thing, that would point to a system level font issue.

Glad to know the videos have helped you out. I'm still new to a lot of this too, so take what I "teach" with a grain o' chainsaw. :laugh:

Hey Hello !! I am new in modded games, I am playing skyrim almost for a entire year and I love it, but now I want to create some stuff for the game but I cant get the creation kit, I download the one from bethesda page but I cannot make it work, can someone help me??

Hey Hello !! I am new in modded games, I am playing skyrim almost for a entire year and I love it, but now I want to create some stuff for the game but I cant get the creation kit, I download the one from bethesda page but I cannot make it work, can someone help me??

@gargolon1980: If you're having trouble getting the CK installed, please start a new thread rather than ask for help in a thread that has nothing to do with the problem you're having. You will also need to be more specific with what you need help with. Just saying that you can't "make it work" doesn't really given anyone willing to help an idea what your issue actually is.

• 5 months later...

Hello BlahBlahDEEBBlahBlah
I apologize if I'm misunderstanding, do you mean ini files like CreationKit and the like? I already tried to look for something about fonts in those files but I didn't find anything :confused:

Edited by ghzfba

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I've been having the bold font issue as well, and its driving me insane. I have no idea what to do about it. The only difference is I'm having difficulty with the Skyrim creation kit instead of the Fallout 4 one. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Grimboldt