AMD overdrive?

SleepyDoll1

I'm getting very close to achieve perfect balance between performance and aesthetic. I was wondering if anyone knows which settings my computer could handle when I'd overdrive my TESV profile in AMD settings since I'm a total noob, or if I should stay the f*#@ away from them and start chucking some of my mods.

GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @

Memory: 3 gb

System: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

You'd be doing yourself a big favor by upgrading your system RAM. A Core 2 Quad may also be nice - if possible. As for GPU, do you have the specific GPU name? I'm no super familiar with AMD GPU's older than the R9 series - so I would need the actual name of the GPU to get an idea of where you on the spectrum.

I had an R7 260X 2GB for a few years. I had some issues with it and needed to manually alter some things in the Radeon Settings, power settings and fan control mostly. It wasn't a heating issue just the annoying 'driver stopped responding and has recovered' annoyance with almost every game. I've since upgraded to a better card.

It ran Skyrim really well (60fps solid except for Solitude of a night during a thunderstorm where it'd drop to 40-50) although most ENB's were a no go. Instead I used Imaginator, ICBINE (a sweet fx preset) and Dynavision.

More RAM, as mentioned above, would be an idea. Doesn't Win 7 use 2GB on its own? So that wouldn't leave you with much afterwards. I'm only going from what I've read in the past.

I've not seen many people with the R7 200 series of GPU so thought I'd add my experience with my card as much as I hated it others may have had better luck :)

Another way to find your system specs is run a dxdiag. Also, assuming you're using current Crimson drivers there's tab at the top that will get you to a page with details on what card you have. I'm not at my PC to check exactly what buttons to press.

Edited by star-mystyk

Not in the position to buy extra parts at the moment unfortunately

And am I missing something because this was all it said under GPU's name? I'll have another look in the morning and get back to you

What star-mystyk said is very helpful. Basically, "200 series" is not the specific GPU. As star-mystyk pointed out, they used to own a R7 260x which is a "200 series" GPU. I have an Nvidia GPU, so how I would access system information about my GPU would be to right click on my desktop and click "Nvidia Control Panel". From inside the Nvidia Contorl Panel I would click "System Information" on the bottom left corner of the window.

You have an AMD GPU, so I believe it is called "AMD Catalyst Control Panel" or something like that. It should be accessible in a similar way to Nvidia's Control Panel. Where System Information may be for AMD though, I'm not very sure. I think it's somewhere in the toolbar at the top of the screen. I do believe you need the latest AMD Drivers in order to access this control panel though.

Edited by DaddyDirection

The latest drivers are called Crimson Relive. I don't install the Relive part as I don't use it. I think it's for video capture and playback. I'm on version 17.4.4 There is a newer one out but I haven't updated yet.

I think it was just called Crimson before.

If you're using Catalyst Control Centre then that's really old and it's best to update.

Like the previous poster accessing the control centre is the same, assuming it loads when you boot up. Right click the icon down in the bottom right of your taskbar, near the time, then Open Radeon Settings.

I'm no expert or anything, lol, I just fiddle with settings until I get something that works for me. I don't use all the features just what I've picked up in other forums while looking for answers on my issue. I'll try almost anything.

Edit. Some images:

Crimson2.jpg

Crimson.jpg

Edited by star-mystyk

• 1 month later...

Sorry for replying so late, had exams and s#*!

Thank you both for helping out, I'll look into all of the things you said when I can, but there is only one problem with my card: I can't update it

I don't know why, do I quit too soon or something but I click on it to upgrade and then it just upgrades infinitely

Also in the meantime, I have been constantly tweaking my skyrim to gain more performance but keep it as good looking as possible

Along with several boost background programs, Ordinator textures did the final and most boost on performance without it noticeably changing appearance

Hopefully when I tweak my card as well, I won't be required to open all those programs every time I start the game