Oblivion crashing when entering combat

Hate to be a pain and of course this has probably been asked a billion times with a billion different problems to address which is why I'm making a new topic. Oblivion seems to be crashing here and there as it does anyway but in a few instances it's frozen (and crashed) immediately on combat startup. I thought it had something to do with bows as it did crash consistently when several npc's fired their bows but recently there's been a crash outright on combat startup. It happened with one character in the area but the last 2 NPCs I've fought in my playthrough have produce the instant freezing as they draw their weapon (both added from "The imperial legion" become a guard mod.) I have just testing fighting the guards and the same thing, I can swing my weapon just fine...it's when they draw theirs it freezes instantly. When it freezes the ambient sound and combat music continues and I can hear the weapon drawing sound play as it's freezing. Again note this wasn't happening earlier.

I've isolated one of the problems, it's Duke Patricks archery mod...specifically the addition of crossbows. They don't seem to be working properly at all and there's nothing about it I can find in his crossbows readme. If anyone has any idea what the issue is that'd be much appreciated.

Load order below

00 Oblivion.esm
01 Oblivifall Master File.esm [Version 1.2]
02 Enhanced Daedric Invasion.esm
03 DA Run Fatigue.esm
04 Alternative Beginnings.esp [Version 1.4.5]
05 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.4.2]
06 DLCShiveringIsles.esp
07 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.1]
08 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
09 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]
0A DLCOrrery.esp
0B DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]
0C DLCSpellTomes.esp
0D DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]
0E Knights.esp
0F Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.2]
10 Oblivifall - Losing My Religion.esp [Version 1.43]
11 Enhanced Daedric Invasion.esp
12 MannimarcoRevisited.esp
13 Duke Patricks - HammerBlade.esp [Version 3.2]
14 DA Fatigued Running.esp
15 DA Sprint.esp
16 UVIII.esp
17 MidasSpells.esp
18 Duke Patricks - Melee Combat NO RECOIL.esp [Version 5.9]
19 300_Lore_Dialogue_Updated.esp
1A Idle Dialogue.esp [Version 1.3]
1B Duke Patricks - Combat Archery.esp [Version 7.3.5]
1C RenGuardOverhaul.esp
1D tbskGuardsFeatures.esp
1E Guards.esp
1F Kvatch Rebuilt.esp [Version 3.0]
20 knightsandrealism.esp
The bottom mod is mine, the only scripts it comes with are ai packages for a small group of NPC's over in Bruma, it's crashing in the Imperial city though (I assume it wouldn't matter where I was.) this is an issue that seems to have just developed. It does add a lot of NPCs (but not to the game world.) and basically packages a lot of people's armour and weapon assets (It's a personal mod, I do it this way so I can fix their weight and armour values for my liking and to reduce the number of ESPs.)
I assume this is a problem with my save but I've had so many broken saves on so many different computers (and xbox 360 even.) that having to start again would absolute crush me. Plenty of other things I'd love help with in relation to modding as well (modeling ----> putting things into Skyrim.) if anyone's interested. I'm making a post on Skyrim forum now.
Edited by technicalbrutaldeathcore

I think your problem comes from at least one of your mods starting at n°13 until the bottom of the list.

Disable a group of them, start a game and check if the problem remains.

Also check if any of your mods replaces any vanilla .kf file.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

• 1 month later...

I think your problem comes from at least one of your mods starting at n°13 until the bottom of the list.

Thanks for the response and sorry for the very late reply. The problem is like anything in Oblivion this slowly crept up throughout a playthrough, I don't think I could go through the pain of having several 8+ hour playthroughs testing each mod 1 by 1 to see which one over time is slowly destroying my game. Bows weren't crashing the game early (although there was definitely animation errors specifically to do with the newly added crossbows from Duke patricks archery mod.) and the game started crashing almost immediately after save start up regardless of which actions were taken.

That's what's so frustrating, it's not just a when this happens 'bang' crash...the game just becomes unstable over time.

How did you install these mods and what do you primarily use to launch the game, aka wrye bash or OBMM?

Have you tried uninstalling UVIII? If not, then uninstall it and see if that helps.

Thank you for your reply, I can't believe I was so impatient I stopped looking at this post after only 3 days. I launch the game with OBSE by clicking the exe. I installed them manually I believe because OMM and TESMM installing is just so messy for me (the programs can be extremely unresponsive and frustrating to deal with.) which I'm sure is part of the problem.

As for UVIII I might start another game with it uninstalled at some point despite really wanted to play with it for once, the problem is as I described above though. It would absolutely break me if I started again and just as before just half a dozen or a dozen hours in I discover that the game is an unplayable mess. It's why I spend most of my time these days with Skyrim and Oblivion just f*#@ing around in the creation kit and testing my forever unfinished mods when I get time to. I'm actually very disappointed I didn't get any replies at all on my post about problems I was having importing a model of mine into Skyrim despite posting it around this time, apparently dozens viewed it.

Sorry for the double post and the quote, No idea how to tag you or anything. You've got a nice list of different kinds of mods to your name in your signature. Would it be annoying If I asked you a few questions to do with both assets and Skyrim and Oblivion?

While this first question might be redundant by tomorrow who knows. I want to find a way in Skyrim to multiply with a spell or perk actor values like Health, magicka, stamina ...etc.etc as well as movement speed..if I'm unable I'll instead have to go through the frustrating process of making multiple effects that edit these values with player magicka checks which I'd prefer avoid...especially as I hate flooding spells with dozens of effects.

I tried a similar tactic as above when trying to outright overhaul the melee combat system with one enchantment for each weapon class (had like 150 effects or something crazy.) but whenever the spell activated it lagged the game badly enough that playing with it on would make it unplayable. So many different things the ability to multiply actor values would allow me to do.

The second is I'm stumped on trying to import a helmet I made into Skyrim, the textures are completely non-functional, I can never get it attached to the correct bones...it's a complete nightmare. I actually made a thread about it on these forums, shame I got no replies.