Send a courier to finish quest

lafemme

Hey guys,

First time on this forum. I was wondering: has anyone ever been annoyed that NPC's can send you letters, but you can't send any yourself? Especially since so many side quests can only be finished by reporting to the questgiver.

I'm currently playing a traveler/explorer type character and while I like tot ake on some side-quests, I thought it quite silly that sometimes you have to travel to the other side of Skyrim for something and then report back to the quest giver before you can finish a quest. I try not to fast travel so it makes it incredibly inconvenient to have to travel back and forth.

My idea was this:

Every Inn has a courier sitting somewhere inside or maybe on the front porch. You can talk to the courier and ask to send a letter for 50 gold or something. The dialogue options would then maybe sift through the active questlines that are about reporting back (they should probably be selected indivudually or hardcoded by the modmaker), so you'd have dialogue options such as:

- Report back to the Jarl of Whiterun (50 gold)

- Tell Maven Black-Briar about Honeyduke Estate (50 gold)

- Report Leifnarr's death to his family (50 gold)

- All of the above (200 gold)

After selecting one, the courier would take off to deliver the letter. A couple of in-game days later you'd receive a UI message saying 'Your letter has been delivered', after which the quest would finish.

Optional addition: you could still use the dialogue option of reporting to the quest giver if you meet them in person, even after the quest would be finished - so you can still talk about the results or maybe receive a follow-up quest.

I have no experience whatsoever with mod making although I do have a little programming experience. I'm thinking of trying this myself but I have no idea how complex this would be to make for Skyrim.

Thoughts and ideas are very welcome!