WIP - Jerall Mountains Citadel - The Largest Project I've Ever Undertaken as a Modder

Roadhouse699

Public Opinion of this Mod  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play Jerall Moutains Citadel?

• I'm hard/wet for it.
    • I will.
    • I probably will.
    • I can't really say.
    • I probably won't.
    • I won't.
    • I'd rather nail my dick to a table.

Yeah this mod's been finished for like 6 months now. Stop posting on this thread.

Some of you may know me, Roadhouse699, from my Fallout 4 and Skyrim mods, or more likely, the douchy descriptions I write for them. Up until this point, I've only made small, simple mods. I've decided that its time to have some patience and make something real, so here we are.

Jerall Mountains Citadel, if I even wind up naming it that when I'm finished, is a fairly large player home with its own Worldspace. Now, a player home by itself is pretty simple and easy to make - it's usually the first thing that new modders make when they burst their Creation Kit cherry. This mod will differ in the sense that it won't just be a house mod, but much more like Hearthfires, with a twist: You will not only have to build furnishings for your home, but also build a settlement around the fortress itself.

Preston Garvey would be proud.

As the village grows, more NPCs will appear in it, all of whom with unique personalities and many with unique quests. The outcome of these quests will largely determine the outcome of a quest that occurs at the end of the mod, Mass Effect 2 Style.

Oh, there's also going to be a decent amount of custom-textured armor.

Here are some screenshots I've taken, both in-game and in Creation Kit. There aren't that many of the Worldspace because I haven't made the LOD yet.

http://i.imgur.com/xtoozjf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yIX8I6u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZOA6kzE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QfG89Tv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Gih1yn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VyPbUkE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SkT028o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kTA7kCZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DqYAjNf.jpg

FAQ:

Q: Can I have the housemod without the quests and stupid s***?

A: Absolutely. I intend to make the world, buildings, armor, and other resources part of an .esm while the quests are an .esp, in case, for whatever reason, I decide to make part 2 of this.

Q: When will this be released?

A: It's hard to say. Maybe in about a month or two. Hell, I can't even guarantee the release of all the quests and s***, but I can tell you with certainty that the .esm will be finished soon enough. If the .esp can't be finished, for whatever reason, I will definitely release the resources. Don't worry, though - I'll probably release it all.

Q: Why is there a static horse in that picture of the bedroom?

A: Don't be coy, you know what its for.

Q: I really don't.

A: Play the Witcher 3 and you'll understand perfectly.

Q: Will I actually be able to, *ahem*, use that horse?

A: No. I'm not THAT good of a modder. Besides, there are plenty of erotic mods already. Get one of those.

Q: ...You're disgusting.

A: This mod will be full of Easter Eggs like that.

Q: So it won't be very lore-friendly?

A: It will be 100% lore-friendly, just dotted with Easter Eggs.

Q: What will the quests be like?

A: I'm not saying anything about them yet.

Q: What will the Easter Eggs be?

A: Small stuff - mostly characters with names that are references to other games.

Q: Why do you reference other games so much?

A: Mans1ay3r made me do it.

Q: Why are there so many firewood piles, crates, and mounds of hay in the pictures of the interior?

A: I want to make this look authentic. I can't stand player homes that are designed to be really OCD and perfect. Usually, the greatest compliment a modder can get is "This looks like Bethesda made it." Actually scratch that. "This looks like CD Projekt Red made it." is better.

Q: Why are you so obsessed with the Witcher?

A: I was enamored with Geralt of Rivia when I saw him get out of that bathtub. Mmmm.

Q: Ew, gross.

A: Okay, two questions: do you have a problem with that? Do you think I'm being serious?

Edited by Roadhouse699

Jeez, you're, like, doing the same thing I'm doing (sort of, I don't have the time to work on my project a lot). I'm also working on a house-and-quest mod with Mass Effect-style decisions and tough choices with potentially catastrophic consequences. Phase I (making the house fully functional) is nearing completion, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to release it anytime soon. Funnily enough, I also want to make a pre-release page for playtesting and organizational (and hyping) purposes. Can't stand when (especially new) modders release half-finished stuff and designate it WIP (while the title suggests it's a full and stable release) but it never makes any more progress because they're hitting some snag that makes them stop. Patience is a modder's greatest virtue.

So, yeah, I'm hard for it. Mostly for the quests, if you can actually pull off a good storyline with little to no cringe factor. Castle style player homes aren't really my thing, but I guess if the quest is good enough (or rather, I care about the NPCs), I'd still use it because I feel connected to the people there. (Like it was with The Forgotten City, where I was pretty sad when I couldn't move into a decent player home after finishing the questline - every single one of the characters in that mod gets more exposition and therefore sympathy than any Vanilla character, except maybe Serana.)

Jeez, you're, like, doing the same thing I'm doing (sort of, I don't have the time to work on my project a lot). I'm also working on a house-and-quest mod with Mass Effect-style decisions and tough choices with potentially catastrophic consequences. Phase I (making the house fully functional) is nearing completion, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to release it anytime soon. Funnily enough, I also want to make a pre-release page for playtesting and organizational (and hyping) purposes. Can't stand when (especially new) modders release half-finished stuff and designate it WIP (while the title suggests it's a full and stable release) but it never makes any more progress because they're hitting some snag that makes them stop. Patience is a modder's greatest virtue.

So, yeah, I'm hard for it. Mostly for the quests, if you can actually pull off a good storyline with little to no cringe factor. Castle style player homes aren't really my thing, but I guess if the quest is good enough (or rather, I care about the NPCs), I'd still use it because I feel connected to the people there. (Like it was with The Forgotten City, where I was pretty sad when I couldn't move into a decent player home after finishing the questline - every single one of the characters in that mod gets more exposition and therefore sympathy than any Vanilla character, except maybe Serana.)

I'm certain I can make good enough characters with minimal cringe value - I might even release small amounts of information about each one before the mod is released. And I'll be honest; coming back to Skyrim, castle style homes aren't my thing either, but I think I can make something that doesn't feel like it's the player's castle that they got for doing nothing (like it is in the pre-release).

Anyway, I'm excited to see what you have in store.

Edited by Roadhouse699

Anyway, I'm excited to see what you have in store.

Gonna be some time coming still. Imma be on vacation until mid September, and I'm not taking my laptop, so no modding progress to be expected. ;) Here's a photo gallery from my development process though. It's incomplete in that I have by now (visually) finished the interior (some script-dependent functionality and a bit of reverse cleanup to make it feel more lived-in is still missing, and I gotta re-do the lighting for the 4th time because I still can't get it flicker-free thanks to the open layout and big wall/roof tiles) as well as much of the exterior. Still gotta navmesh the exterior though, and that's gonna be a nightmare.

I'm really curious as to how your project will have developed by the time I get back. I'm also gonna play-test it and give you feedback on the layout or whatever I feel like mentioning, if you want.

Looks pretty damn good - I can even tell that different features from the SSE CK were used. As much as I refuse to give any credit to SSE, it has a much better creation kit.

And I would be pretty damn glad to let you test this. Having someone testing this in SSE would save me a buttload of trouble.

Edited by Roadhouse699