Stuttering when turning camera

Watercrown

Hi folks,

Getting this game running decent has been a pretty big problem but it's mostly working well now. The last remaining issue is the camera jerking when turning.

This is the basic behavior I am seeing.

After loading the game for the first time everything works well. After loading 2-3 areas that turning the camera will cause some light stuttering. After 2-3 more areas the stuttering is really bad. Complete slide show. However, this only happens once when transitioning to new areas (or using fast travel).

For example. After playing the game for a hour or so I enter a new areas. Turning the camera causes lots of stuttering as I make a 360 degree turn. After that, no more stuttering until I enter a new area (and this is limited to larger areas. Entering smaller rooms doesn't seem to cause this issue).

I have the 4GB patch, but I'm not actually anywhere near the 4GB limit (I'm not even at 1.5 most of the time). I only use NMCs medium texture pack, few weapons and armor texture replacers.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
FCOMaster.esm
SpeedE Wheels Travel Systems.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
oHUD.esm
NevadaSkies.esm
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
FCO - NPC Changes.esp
Vicious Wastes.esp
Improved Sound FX Merged.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vicious Wastes - Complete.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
IMPACT.esp
357retex.esp
boa ncrpahelmet.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
FCO - OHSB NPC Edits.esp
Real Recoil.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
FOVSlider.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
Disable Couriers Stash.esp
tmzLODadditions.esp
Nipton Fires Extinguished.esp
Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware).esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
Tutorial Killer Merged.esp
ShutUpHUDSounds.esp
FP gun follows crosshairs.esp
KeyBoy Hotkeys.esp
Manual Reload Merged.esp
Assassin Freq14.esp
Enhanced_Sensors_Rebalanced.esp
NoFastTravel_NV.esp
CompanionEquipment.esp
Reload Speed Game Start Fix.esp
NoBlurMenus2.esp
hz_1 by 1 Reload Fix.esp
Rebuilt Sequoia.esp
TakeYourTime.esp
MiscItemIconsNV.esp
Better Pickup Prompt.esp
CombatEnhancer.esp
Enhanced NPC Awareness.esp
Bandage Hand.esp (Made this to have boxing tape as a pair of gloves)
Harsh Item Rarity.esp (Tweaked some existing rarity mod)
Limited Game Savings.esp
HZNovacCampfire.esp
HZSmoothLight.esp
mojave music radio expanded v1.1.esp
FNVLODGen.esp
JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
PipBoyCounters.esp
Pipboy Light Amber.esp
merged1.2.esp
NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp

This is the rest of my load order.

I should point out this behavior happens in vanilla too. Though it doesn't feel as severe.

EDIT: I am using NVSR of course.

Another aspect of this behavior is if I am out in a larger worldspace I can reload the same save and begin to experience this behavior.

Edited by Watercrown

"Stuttering" of any nature is pretty much always an indication that the system has to load from the disk drive instead of memory. Which means it is pushing the available memory limits.

Please see the 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' and 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed' entries in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

My suspicion would be that you have an INI setting that is wrong for your setup. When you turn your character's facing, you are bringing adjacent cells into your FOV. While the game preloads adjacent cells to "pre-render" them, when you turn it may need to load cells it thought were not needed. Take a look at your "uGridDistantCount=20" and "uGridsToLoad=5" default values. If you do change them, remember that "uGridsToLoad" must be an odd number value (e.g. 5, 7, 9, etc.). See the 'Issue: Game in slow motion' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. The TweakGuides reference discusses the effects of changing those settings.

You didn't mention which mod manager you are using. Note that if you are currently or have used "Mod Organizer", MO uses its own copies of "Fallout.ini" and "FalloutPrefs.ini" (from when the MO profile was created), located in "\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\profiles\<Your Profile Name>". These files need to be changed as well.

Finally, I am generally suspicious of "broad reaching" overhaul mods; especially those that affect the entire world space such as Weather and Lighting mods. They can have an adverse impact on lag and FPS. When someone has such problems, they are something to consider testing without.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Went ahead and tested with vanilla .ini files. I have never touched anything related to ugrids since they are notoriously unstable. I also disabled Nevada Skies... the problem still persist however.

I am using MO but I have been working with the .ini files in the profile folder for that.

Someone reported that turning their "water multisampling on low" fixed the same problem for them.

You don't mention ENB, but you might want to check out ENBoost and some of the multi-sampling settings in the 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section of the "Troubleshooting" guide I linked previously.

Also, this "FNV Quirks and Posible Fixes" thread in the STEP Guide forum has some suggestions you might want to try as well.

Do let me know if any of these solve your issue so I can update the "Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

You should compare the ENB settings against your INI files and your video card settings where they have the same ones. Lowering sampling rates, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, and such will reduce the load on the GPU when turning rapidly, which would seem to be the reason for the stutter. ENB has those reduced or disabled so it can deal with them without interference. If you find they make a difference, then you can try restoring them one at a time.

Be sure you have enabled both the "Cause-2", "Solution-3" purge settings from the 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu ' section previously mentioned in the "Troubleshooting" guide.

Try using a lower video quality resolution and or monitor resolution as a test just to see if they have an impact.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I am currently out of suggestions. I'll let you know if I come across anything else later on.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

So I think I found a remedy for the issue.

You mentioned that it seemed like the game was loading data from the HDD so I disabled page-file and superfetch.

It feels like load times are a bit slower, but...

1. There is no more stuttering when turning the camera (I played for about 2 hours and this behavior usually starts happening within minutes).

2. When loading large chunks of approaching land the slow down that does happen feels like a much more normal kind of FPS drop. Not a huge stutter.

I know disabling these two options isn't the best for windows stability, but at least I can play this game more comfortably now.

I'm surprised by that. Disabling the page-file mean Windows has to fetch from the disk drive every time the file it needs is not in RAM. Super-fetch (for hard drives; not SSDs) optimizes that process by predicting the next 3 files likely to be requested and preloading them into memory. That should all be happending in the OS portion of memory, not the game portion. The swap file contains files swapped out of RAM, which means it doesn't have to fetch them from all over the disk again, but instead from the contiguous stretch of disk used by the swap file.

But ... whatever works for you.

Given you said you had been through the previously mentioned sections of the wiki, I had been assuming you were using NVSR. (It doesn't show up in the "load order".) You might want to look over the 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide for some tweaks that might help.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent