Artecus

I went into VCG01 (Ain't that a Kick in the Head) and I wanted to edit the items Doc Mitchell gives you. I went into Topics and went to his dialouge "Here, these are yours, bla bla..." I scrolled down to the script, and I got stuck. Would I simply add "player.additem ****" line after line? Note that I also want to be able to run this along Character Creation Streamlined, so would I edit that mod's .esp or make my own .esp and overwrite that mod?

That's where a bunch of other stuff is given to the player, so yep, that's a good place to add some more stuff. Just make sure you don't add your new items inside one of the if statements (between the if and the else and the endif). You can add your "player.additem..." stuff down at the end of the script or right after the "player.additem caps001 18" and any player will get the items regardless of whatever skills the player tagged during character creation. And yes, you can just do line after line of player.additem ****.

The way the script works is that "SetObjectiveCompleted VCG01 50 1" sets that objective completed for stage 50, so then you look over on the quest stages for stage 50 (Doc speaks and it turns off the animated camera).

These lines give all players the same starting equipment, some stimpacks and some caps:

; Basic starting equipment for all players
player.additem Stimpak 4
player.additem caps001 18

These lines give the player 12 lockpicks if they tagged the lockpick skill, otherwise the player only gets 6 lockpicks:

if (IsPlayerTagSkill Lockpick)
player.additem Lockpick 12
else
player.additem Lockpick 6
endif

The rest of the script is similar, giving different items depending on what skills the player tagged.

Hopefully that will give you enough of an understanding of the script so that you won't be stuck any more.

I'm not familiar with the internals of Character Creation Streamlined so I don't know if it runs through the same dialog options. If Doc Mitchell still says that "Here. These are yours..." line then it's probably a safe place to add stuff. If it were me doing it, I would just modify the Character Creation Streamlined mod to add the items that I wanted. If you make your own esp you'll overwrite the VCG01 quest with whatever you put in for your own which might break the Character Creation Streamlined mod.

Edited by madmongo

I went into VCG01 (Ain't that a Kick in the Head) and I wanted to edit the items Doc Mitchell gives you. I went into Topics and went to his dialouge "Here, these are yours, bla bla..." I scrolled down to the script, and I got stuck. Would I simply add "player.additem ****" line after line? Note that I also want to be able to run this along Character Creation Streamlined, so would I edit that mod's .esp or make my own .esp and overwrite that mod?

That's... odd. After editing exactly what you told me to edit, the GECK won't let me press "OK" to save my changes to the topic script. Now because I have a DLC file, I made Lonesome Road a master of Character Creation Streamlined (which I am editing to get my desired items at the start of the game).

Under

player.additem Stimpak 4, 1, 1

player.additem caps001 18, 1, 1

I added

player.additem DLC04ArmorDusterOldWorld, 1, 1

player.additem OutfitNCRRangerHat01, 1, 1

player.additem WaterPurified, 3, 1

I noticed that the scripts were using player.additem (editor id), (amount), (can someone explain what the 3rd number is?)

So I just copied the original starting item's parameters.

After doing this, I can't compile scripts, I get an error. I can't press "ok" after pressing "edit text" and adding in what is shown above. And I can't save.

When I try to save, it acts like it saves (it doesn't) then when I try to exit GECK it says "Save Changes?" and when I press "Yes" the GECK doesn't close, it goes back as if nothing happened.

What in the heck...?

Edited by Artecus

That's... odd. After editing exactly what you told me to edit, the GECK won't let me press "OK" to save my changes to the topic script. Now because I have a DLC file, I made Lonesome Road a master of Character Creation Streamlined (which I am editing to get my desired items at the start of the game).

Â

Under

player.additem Stimpak 4, 1, 1

player.additem caps001 18, 1, 1

Â

I added

player.additem DLC04ArmorDusterOldWorld, 1, 1

player.additem OutfitNCRRangerHat01, 1, 1

player.additem WaterPurified, 3, 1

Â

I noticed that the scripts were using player.additem (editor id), (amount), (can someone explain what the 3rd number is?)

So I just copied the original starting item's parameters.

After doing this, I can't compile scripts, I get an error. I can't press "ok" after pressing "edit text" and adding in what is shown above. And I can't save.

When I try to save, it acts like it saves (it doesn't) then when I try to exit GECK it says "Save Changes?" and when I press "Yes" the GECK doesn't close, it goes back as if nothing happened.

Â

What in the heck...?

I think it's the commas causing the hangup.

Yeah, get rid of the comma between the item name and the item count.

For what it's worth, if you install the GECK powerup you'll get more informative error messages instead of the GECK's annoying default "I won't let you compile this and I won't tell you why so nya nya nya" behavior.

I swear Bethesda went out of their way to make the GECK as unintuitive and difficult to use as possible. Either that or it's some sort of secret vault-tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels.

Here I am getting all confused about why GECK won't tell me what the hell is wrong, and it turns out I mistyped a goddamn editor ID (Thanks GECK Powerup). And I agree Madmongo, GECK seems like an inside dev program that they acted like no one else needs to know how to use but them. Well now I know; don't glance at an ID like a dumba** and then beg for help when something goes awry!

There is no item called DLC04ArmorDusterOldWorld, the correct name is NVDLC04ArmorDusterOldWorld. And here I go answering to a thread without reading the latest post, lol.

The third argument is used to prevent the "(item) added" message.

The commas are harmless, I included them because I think having arguments separated makes things more readable.

Edited by Ladez

Using commas to separate function parameters is actually preferable, especially when you use advanced NVSE scripting (CO, arrays, UDFs with dynamically constructed parameters in the call line). Much like extensive use of parentheses, it not only keeps things more readable for yourself, but prevents errors at compile or at run time. It isn't usually needed for simple code, but it's a good practice to get into for when it is needed, so let's please not advise against doing it.