Is it possible to raid sanctuary without minutemen quests?

saintgrimm92

I also wanted never-even-talk to preston douchebag, went through painful process of becoming overboss first thing out of vault 111 and guess what, main questline broken, game unplayable

he also made me start new game twice or thrice in mid-late playthrough because his script did weird things and perma-broke questlines

to address issue if you can fix it? true answer would be - no, not really - he sometimes fires off wrong and breaks even if you start as bethesda wanted you to

nevertheless I had one success on restoring his regular dialogs with console, ie moving from quest stage to stage back and forth in between Out of Time (MQ102) and When Freedom Calls (Min00), there was also fun with enabling and disabling preston in the process, but I can't recall exact steps, I googled most of the stuff, so you may find some solutions out there

but be warned if your're far with other related quests this may break things even more

edit:

to sum things up - do the minutemen until you get preston to castle and then go raider, it works for me so far, this way I made some pretty decent and populated labour camps to feed my soon to be raider strongholds I planned in vicinity, before I even moved Nuka World raiders to commonwealth

also you'll need to move all the essentials somewhere, because you won't be able to raid sanctuary even with preston gone

I've already reverted to an older save, but I WOULD like my settlements back that i'd built in my save that I abandoned due to my issue. I didn't even think about quest stages though... So I'm gonna try completing the first steps quest with console on the save i abandoned, and see if it'll get to where I'm able to move him like other settlers.

I really hope you just saved me a TON of boring ass building lol thanks :tongue:

What kind of mainstory breaking are we talking about? My plan was vault 111 > nuka world > build up all settlements > raid them - and THEN do the main story, but if that breaks the main questline to be overboss, 90% of my saves for this character is useless :sad:

@Creationkid, theres multiple places that can NEVER be raided, the castle, the brotherhood airport place, bunker hill and I think there may have been 1 more.

Essential npcs means ones that dont die when their hp hits 0, they just sit on the ground for awhile, then get back up. this includes most quest npcs, and i think all followers. Sturges and preston are both essential, but the other settlers that came with them, marcy and her brother or husband, w/e are NOT essential, and if you kill them, they're dead for good, so you could technically leave them in sanctuary and still raid it.

@TheMightyArchaon, I HAVE tried using the setessential (ID) 0 command on them. I was able to successfully kill all of them, but could still not raid sanctuary.It's probably worth noting though, that turning essential flags off doesnt work with the ref ID. You need the BASE ID, clicking an NPC with the console open gives only the ref id in this game. You can type "help -npc name- 4" to get the base ID, or if you're lazy like me, just search the npc's name on the fallout wiki and they list base IDs.

Thanks for the idea though :tongue: In theory it really should have worked... But it never listed quests failed when he died, so they were probably still active and running, which is what I'd assume still prevented me from raiding sanc

Gives me an idea though... If I complete those quests with console, they shouldn't still be running, and if I THEN kill preston and sturges with console and move codsworth, it may actually work. :D

Edited by saintgrimm92

I know double posting is frowned upon, but that last message was getting long.

None of that worked. I could be missing one of the quests, even though I just did the quests on an old save, I had to google their names and may of just missed one or something, but I don't think so...

Using console to complete, I was unable to move preston out of sanctuary in build mode. And his dialogue was the same ("kill the raiders!"), so I was unable to move him with dialogue as well.

I set him and sturges and mama murphy to non-essential, killed all 5 people, moved codsworth to a different settlement and was still unable to raid sanctuary.

You would really think they'd give some kind of warning... They do on the other factions don't they? It's been quite awhile, but I think I remember a pop-up telling me if I continued that specific quest for the institute, I would no longer be able to do quests for the brotherhood.

A nice little pop up saying "If you continue this quest, not only will you not be able to do quests for the minutemen, but you won't be able to raid them either" would of been exactly what we needed. Wasted more time building settlements for that save than I usually even spend on a game period. Then again, at the time I was led to believe if I just left him in concord, it wouldn't stop me from raiding sanc, so I probably would of ignored the pop-up anyway. >.>

It doesn't effect raider quests. I just wanted sanctuary as a raider outpost.

As long as you haven't already claimed a settlement for the raiders in the commonwealth (you can claim all 5 nuka world territories though), it's not too late. The save I reloaded to was on the quest to do so, and I went and did the crap for preston and sent everyone away.

Edited by saintgrimm92

What kind of mainstory breaking are we talking about?

I could not progress with main quest without talking to preston and preston got stuck on dialoge and I needed that to talk to Sturges who was in his non-talking stage, because preston dialoge was not done and so on it might be playable to some degree, but I scrapped bugged saves

Using console to complete, I was unable to move preston out of sanctuary in build mode. And his dialogue was the same ("kill the raiders!"), so I was unable to move him with dialogue as well.

in that case his disposition dialogue is somehow overwriting his questline dialogie, try changing his disposition towards your survivor

setrelationshiprankplayer <target> <#>

for # try inserting 2 or 3

relationship rank similar to affinity? I tried resetting affinity and also setting it to 1000.

but at this point I've discovered that there's such a thing as blue print mods now and the save I reverted to has nicer settlements than the ones I didn't want to lose on the original save lol.

Also you can do the mainquest without preston. Just go to diamond city as if preston sent you there and you'll still meet piper outside and continue the story from that point. If you remember where you meet Nick, you can actually go there, save him and start the main quest from that point.

I imagine you can start it from just about anywhere before things get too questy... I can't say for sure, Nick's the furthest I've ever started, but I'd guess that the latest part you can start at is finding Mercer.

Edited by saintgrimm92

• 1 year later...

With this mod i can raid Sanctuary!

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36989

Before install mod, just accept Preston's propose (Open season).. then do some Minutmen quest and you can move their to another settlement (like The Castle).

Before you do that, you can raid Sanctuary.

PD: If you can't move Mamma Murphy, you need to use console commands:

open console, click on Mamma Murphy and write this 3 line:

addkeyword WorkshopAllowCommand
addkeyword WorkshopAllowMove
addkeyword WorkshopAllowCaravan

after this you will have the option to move mamma murphy

Edited by MKUrra