SKSE Discussion

Zac1993

Read through https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5206865-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse64/page-79

man, that was a lot of stuff to read.

Uhm... some takeaway from the previous thread.

1) paying the developers of SKSE ain't going to help.

2) a niche skillset is required to help out in the development

Then I went to search around and found this reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6cbmw9/pc_skse64_update_of_sorts/#dhthkdq

I guess this guy was part of the team, "Qazyhn".

He said, and I quote,

"[–]Qazyhn 150 points 3 months ago
We have plenty of offers, but we have yet to have anyone with the actual skill set and motivation we need. The skill bar is higher than some actual development jobs out there so it's not easy to get people who are interested and obviously won't be paid. Knowing C++ is a basic requirement, but it's not going to help with the development of SKSE64.
The C++ code is already all there, what we need someone who can:
decode classes (from memory)
verify class alignments (and fix them)
update addresses (this is actually easier than alignment fixing)
SKSE64 isn't something that can be realized by throwing developers who lack the required skills at it. Additionally these skills aren't something you can just learn in a few days like transferring to a new programming language. I can point people with prior C++ experience in the right direction for getting started but none of us really have the time to teach."
Some guy said to make it open source multiple times which resulted in this.
[–]Angus_McFife13 39 points 3 months ago*
The issue with putting it on git is that Bethesda doesn't want them open-sourcing Bethesda's executable - they're already on pretty wobbly legal footing anyway (see the final thoughts paragraph). Bethesda looks the other way but I wouldn't expect that to remain the same if they open-sourced their work.
[–]ousnius 56 points 3 months ago
The source code of xSE has always been public to everyone. It's included in the 7z archive that you download when installing it. It's just their repository history that's not public, but the entire code is and has always been.
The reason nobody new is going in and doing all the work is because it's very, very complicated and knowing how to do C++ isn't enough.
[–]StonedBird1 14 points 3 months ago
Also, i believe we're not allowed to go redistribute our own version.
For any outside help to happen, theyd need to be able to talk to teh devs and find out current progress and what needs done and etc, that takes time. And then code needs to be coded, and then sent to them to review/include and whatever else, which takes more time.
[–]Qazyhn 28 points 3 months ago
Redistributing your own version helps nobody.
Generally if you can show us you're capable and committed we will just get you the right permissions. This is basically where I started, I decoded and submitted classes to the team and was eventually given access to the repository.
I guess some really smart people were talking about it before, a guy named barcharcraz and hlp.
So personally, I always wanted to mod skyrim, been in love with it ever since it came out even before the mods. I remembered the times where I laughed with a friend about the old orc random events. I can't texture though, nor can I model. The only thing I can say is that I learnt c++ for game programming. I guess I know structure alignment, vtable etc. Can't imagine how the reversing is done though, never learnt that before.
Haha, anyone knows how to start contributing to SKSE? I feel like I have the basic skills required, just that I don't know what to direct it to.

I kind of know this query is going to get me slapped, and slapped hard (may as well start on a good note). Is this a project that might be taken into the Nexus Team itself? Robin and the others are building a fabulous team working on Vortex and site plans. Would a SKSE project be out of the question?

Apart from that, I agree nightscrawl we don't really need another SKSE thread. The poor SKSE team must feel pretty battered from the fuss people have made, I feel for them. Sadly I don't have any skills I can offer. Switching on my PC takes it out of me.

So that said I'll park the question here for mods to mull, and recommend people move to other SKSE threads rather than pursue this one. Thanks all.