Game CTDs at startup after last update.

ArmoredTroll

After the most recent update that added Creation Club, my game no longer runs at all. At first I thought it was an incompatibility with one of the mods I use, but after disabling all mods, F4SE and running Steam's "verify integrity of game files" without a fix, I have ran out of ideas. (Edit) I would just like to go back to the previous version that worked if possible. (1.9.4.) (Edit) I give up, I'm just going to reinstall Skyrim and enjoy simpler times before Bethesda screwed it all up.

I had the exact same problem. Fallout 4 was not launching no matter what I did, however I did notice that a couple of times, mainly after restarting my computer, I did get it to launch once but never again. This told me that it wasn't a problem with mods or F4SE or anything else, but something about the update. Sooo I thought about it after a few hours of trying to get it to launch this morning and I realized the problem had to be the Creation Club part of the update. See, that thing is accessing the internet on Fallout 4 which for me Fallout 4 has never done before so my anti-virus was seeing that and shutting it down. Well that's the conclusion I came too anyway, I mean what else could it have possibly been? Turns out I was right, after manually adding Fallout 5 to my anti-virus's exceptions list the game started to launch.

tl:dr

Try adding Fallout 4 to your anti-virus's exceptions list. It worked for me, and it might work for you aswell.

I had the exact same problem. Fallout 4 was not launching no matter what I did, however I did notice that a couple of times, mainly after restarting my computer, I did get it to launch once but never again. This told me that it wasn't a problem with mods or F4SE or anything else, but something about the update. Sooo I thought about it after a few hours of trying to get it to launch this morning and I realized the problem had to be the Creation Club part of the update. See, that thing is accessing the internet on Fallout 4 which for me Fallout 4 has never done before so my anti-virus was seeing that and shutting it down. Well that's the conclusion I came too anyway, I mean what else could it have possibly been? Turns out I was right, after manually adding Fallout 5 to my anti-virus's exceptions list the game started to launch.

Try adding Fallout 4 to your anti-virus's exceptions list. It worked for me, and it might work for you aswell.

Thanks for the reply, but I've already un-installed Fallout 4 and went back to Skyrim.

This mod was causing me CTDs after the last update: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11542/?

it isn't even an .esp, or a plugin, is just an "interface file" It seems some files like these could crash the game running on the last update, hope this helps someone else

Unbelievable! I tried almost literally everything else, spent my whole weekend, and this was the simple fix. What a waste of my time.

• 3 weeks later...

@post_offline.pngD7Rock88

Yusss! exactly the same problem and exactly the same solution! many thanks!!!

Added 'Fallout4Launcher.exe' first, didn't work, so added 'Fallout4.exe' as well. works like a charm!

I still have this problem. I have done everything I can think of. This is what I have done

1. Verified game integrity

2. Uninstalled the game deleted any loose files that were left over after uninstalling. This would mean all mods.

3. Uninstalled Nexus mod manager.

4. Deleted Fallout 4 files in my documents.

5. Turned off everything on my antivirus and fire wall.

6. Reinstalled a previous version of my graphics drivers. (I use the graphics driver uninstaller to make sure)

Did I miss something? It is still crashing just trying to play with no mods whatsoever. :sad:

Weird thing is it does it with skyrim too.