NMM "An exception occured in the script" [New Vegas]

Mjoker

Hello. I've recently started to get "An exception occured in the script" messages from NMM while I try to activate New vegas mods.

Description of the problem:

I installed NMM 0.15 and when it turned out to be in need of further fixing I uninstalled it and installed 0.14.2 again. With Skyrim there was no problems whatsoever - everything worked fine. Unfortunately problems started with Fallout New Vegas.

Every single time I try to activate mod [either downloaded from Nexus site using NMM or some fomod I made some time earlier using FOMM] I get this "An exception occured in the script" message. And on the Windows' tooolbar there appears some nameless "ghost" window with NMM icon that cannot be interacted with. The more times I try to activate mod [and get "exception" message] the more such "ghost" windows appear... They all disappear only when I close NMM.

This situation occured with many mods I tried to activate except "DarnifiedUI" [actually DarnUI is the only mod I managed to activate using NMM].

I reinstaled NMM 0.14.2 - no changes.

I installed NMM 0.15.8 - no changes.

I uninstalled New Vegas, deleted all game-related folders, remains of mods, everything and then I installed it again - no changes.

I wonder whether it's program related thing or the problem is on my side... If it's the latter I would be grateful for any info how to proceed.

Attachment:

screenshot with whole message I get from NMM every time I try to install any New Veags mod.

My system: Windows XP Pro SP3 English

Version of Fallout Nev Vegas: 1.4.0.525 [ultimate Edition]

Greetings.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

security exception -- repeated almost every line

therefore

what directory is steam installed to

and what directory is your game installed into

STEAM:

C:\Program Files\Steam\

GAME:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas enplczru\

[game directory is "fallout new vegas enplczru" because I use East European version of the game]

best guess is that this is a common UAC issue

caused by Micro$haft

and is cured by reading in the steam forums

how to move your steam install out of the UAC infested directory

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I went through Steam forums and also read a bit about UAC and all help and advice I've found is for Vista and Windows 7 users since User Account Control was for the first time introduced in Vista.

I use Windows XP Pro and have never used Vista or later stuff from Microsoft. Correct me someone if I'm wrong but Windows XP doesn't have UAC.

There are two things about that situation I do not comprehend:

1) why NMM with New Vegas chosen behave in that fashion while at the same time NMM with Skyrim [which is installed also in Program Files, in Steam folder] works perfectly and there are no problems with activating mods whatsoever.

2) why problems started when I migrated from FOMM to NMM - location of FNV etc. didn't change, just program for managing mods - how exactly is it related to UAC?

Hello again,

I went through Steam forums and also read a bit about UAC and all help and advice I've found is for Vista and Windows 7 users since User Account Control was for the first time introduced in Vista.

I use Windows XP Pro and have never used Vista or later stuff from Microsoft. Correct me someone if I'm wrong but Windows XP doesn't have UAC.

There are two things about that situation I do not comprehend:

1) why NMM with New Vegas chosen behave in that fashion while at the same time NMM with Skyrim [which is installed also in Program Files, in Steam folder] works perfectly and there are no problems with activating mods whatsoever.

2) why problems started when I migrated from FOMM to NMM - location of FNV etc. didn't change, just program for managing mods - how exactly is it related to UAC?

Just out of curiosity, what version of Skyrim do you have? Is it the same as your FNV (East European) or is it the plain English version? I'm wondering if there is a region conflict somewhere and NMM just isn't able to work with your FNV because of that. It would be kind of like how NVSE doesn't work with certain regions of FNV (namely the no-gore German version). It would seem odd that FOMM would work fine but not NMM. That's my best guess.

My Skyrim, New Vegas and New Vegas Ultimate are all East European editions [they have been bought not via Steam but from a shelf in a shop].

New Vegas' directory is named "fallout new vegas enplczru", however Skyrim's is named plainly "skyrim" without indication that it's a version for East European country [in this particular case for Poland].

[i don't know whether it matters in any way but current installations are both made completely via Steam [i actually used DVDs only once during the very first installation when I was activating/registering those games on Steam] and I install/use/play only English version of both games.]

Region conflict sounds like quite reasonable explanation for those problems. But if that would be the case, I wonder why DarnifiedUI can be activated and deactivated in NMM without any problems. Shouldn't NMM be "unresponsive" to all FNV mods without any exceptions?

And yes, FOMM worked like a charm for me [with both first New Vegas edition and New Vegas Ultimate and with dozens of mods I used]: no problems with activation, no crashes, no error messages whatsoever.

Edited by Mjoker

• 3 months later...

Hello.

I ve got same system and same non-steam Vegas as OP.

I had the same error on several mods (Project Nevada, Cinematech, Director's Chair and some others).

One of them fixed after installing FNVToolkit.

For others I tried downloading manual versions and installed them via NMM.

Install went fine but after that Unified HUD project crashed with the same error.

Then tried unpacking .fomod files to vegas\data folder - same error in Unified HUD.

And then tried usual NMM installation of these faulty mods again and that's fixed the problem.

Summary:

- If this error occurs unpack mod file from Nexus Mod Manager\FalloutNV\Mods to Fallout New Vegas\data

- Install normal way via NMM, hit "yes to all" when asked.

This way i fixed all mods except Project Nevada, somehow it's not working for it.

Manual install went fine though and Unified HUD detected and installed fine.

Leaved it that way, don't want to experiment anymore.

Hope this helps.