Tracking 'tilt' on a creature

uhmattbravo

Is there a way to detect the X and Y angles of a creature that has 'tilt left & right' and 'tilt front and back' flags checked in GECK? I need the numbers, as they change in game, for a script, but GetAngle didn't appear to work. Edited by uhmattbravo

Oh so the car is tilting fine with the land , but since Actors can't tilt , their head is clipping through the windshield / side window when the car is on an angle ?

Could you place an invisible object , or set a small node point on the creature for the front and side window.

Then in your script check the actors distance to them adjusting their z position to keep the distances fairly constant?

Add edit: Oh wait , Z position? you mean up/down ? I was saying to adjust their X,Y offset to the creature center then? Why would you adjust their Z offset based on the tilt ?

I guess maybe I was assuming to much ?

Edited by Mktavish

Actually with a duh moment , I realized the creatures parts left and right of center do change their z position while the creature center does not when tilting. So now I see ... but still seems you can use get distance on 2 points to tell you the same thing as get angle.

Would it be possible for a seat node to be the new center for where to offset the actor ?

Albeit troublesome compared to getangle should just work , but doesn't for what ever reason.

Edited by Mktavish

"their head is clipping through the windshield / side window when the car is on an angle"

Basically, but more often through the roof and dashboard.

"Could you place an invisible object , or set a small node point on the creature for the front and side window.

Then in your script check the actors distance to them adjusting their z position to keep the distances fairly constant?"

Theoretically, but it'd be a lot easier if I could use those angles.

"Why would you adjust their Z offset based on the tilt ? "

So you can see over the dash/hood when driving a longer vehicle uphill.

"Would it be possible for a seat node to be the new center for where to offset the actor ?"

In some cases. I intend to re-rig and animate the flea in this manner, but with big trucks, it made them look funny when turning and made the collision (on the skeleton) crap out. The latter of which is an issue I've been having with wider creatures for a while, but it looks like it may be caused by too much length from center as well.

When you say re-rig ... you mean using a different piece as the center for the whole creature ?

So having an offset center like the drivers seat , would make it rotate funny.

But no , I was talking how creatures have weapon nodes which show up in the model list, I thought rotating around their center ???

So was thinking the drivers seat could be set up like that , and then offset the player position on that node center , while the creature itself still functions on its true center.

Or am I just talking out my arse ?

Edited by Mktavish

Rigging doesn't necessarily move the center, but in that case, I moved where it sits in relation to the center and re-rigged it in the new position.

Basically I have it turning based on the creature's center, and the flags make the creature tilt on it's own center, but the player doesn't sit at the creature's center when driving.

In theory, I could use projectile nodes and invisible explosions to check their positions, but that's a lot of additional scripting which could potentially cause stuttering.

Right now, I have a passable enough build in spite of the few issues i had to compromise on and hopefully, I'll have a sort of light version to tide me over for a playthrough before I go too crazy expanding the concept and implementation done and uploaded in a day or two and you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about if you're still curious.

Edited by uhmattbravo