CC Update & Broken Controller Support with F4SE

Flowerguy360

Hey There, :smile:

So, I've been keeping an eye out for it since the updates to everything, but haven't seen it yet, so it's time for me to post:

24 hours before the CC update (F4 v 1.10) went live, I lost controller support for my PC copy of Fallout 4. I had been playing my game most of the night prior, and it was only something like 10 hours that had passed since I had turned it off before I returned to it.

I was not opted in to Beta, but it happened any way. Given the time frame involved, coincidence seems highly unlikely. Hell, I even said as much on Discord in the Authors chat, and this was before we even knew it was CC being rolled out.

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller. I went through a bunch of steps to try and restore controller support (including rolling back and reinstalling the drivers, reconfiguring what the buttons do in not only Steam, but also on an individual by-game-basis), all pretty much to no avail. My controller had basically started to act like it was in Turbo Mode (if anyone remembers what that is), where if I pushed up on the D-Pad once, it was like I pushed it twice - and the same held true of all of the other buttons. Other times, in certain circumstances, I simply lose all control (such as with the joysticks, but not consistently) and some buttons stop working entirely. This remains the case today.

When I tried to launch the game the next day, things had gone Live and I played the waiting game and had to wait for F4SE to update. I was less than ecstatic at this development, especially in light of recent events, but these things happen. So I decided to load up my game without F4SE... and my controller worked! YAY! So I played the game for a little while without all of my fun-time F4SE mods that I adore. Then, finally F4SE updated. Hoorah, right?!? So I update that. I update all of my mods that rely on F4SE. I check my load order and all seems right with the world.

Start the game up with F4SE, and I am still boned on any kind of controller support. But it works fine without F4SE. WTF?

So I watched for someone else to have this issue. I've waited. And here I am, in a strange limbo between F4SE and no controller or no F4SE and a controller. Someone - Please help. Thank you.

Edited by Flowerguy360

That is really strange. I use a DS4 controller and it works fine with the game whether I use it with or without a program that emulates the 360 controller (sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to start InputMapper or DS4Windows). Do you have any mods installed that use F4SE and affect game controls? You might start by going through your mods and seeing if there are any and disabling them to see if it starts working again.

• 4 weeks later...

Flowerguy, you ever figure this out? Exactly the same thing happened to my game. Tried disabling gameplay mods, playing with Steam configs, reinstalling F4SE, etc. Nothing yet.

Nope. I've just been playing without F4SE. Fortunately, most of my mods that "require" it seem to work fine without it for the most part, but not all of them. I've just been making due. While I am sorry that this is happening to you, too, it is validating to hear that someone else is having the same issue.

Since we are the only ones (of which I am aware), would you mind PMing me your plugins list? It may behoove us to compare mods.

Edit: I just tried running Skyrim for the first time since before they released SE, and all controller support for both versions (Oldrim and SE) is gone on completely fresh installs. Until this is fixed, I am done with all Bethesda games and modding. F*ck this.

If they are going to destroy their own products that I've already paid for over a fast cash grab then they don't need my money on any future products.

Edited by Flowerguy360

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1471967615840235656/

So I found a stupid fix for my copy of Skyrim and Fallout 4 (which still does NOT work when running F4SE):

If I plug in a second controller after launching the game, I can use the second controller to play it.

...So, my single player game requires a "second player" in order to work now.

Way to go, Bethesda. Way to go.

Edited by Flowerguy360

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1471967615840235656/

So I found a stupid fix for my copy of Skyrim and Fallout 4 (which still does NOT work when running F4SE):

If I plug in a second controller after launching the game, I can use the second controller to play it.

...So, my single player game requires a "second player" in order to work now.

Way to go, Bethesda. Way to go.

Huh. Is your second controller fix still working? I'll get my mod list to you once I have some time. I'll try using other controllers, too.

The only mod I have that edits input (I think) is Bullet Time, but my controller doesn't work regardless of having that installed or not. Tried that with all my gameplay mods without luck.

Hey, Flowerguy, so far I've gotten it working using a Steam fix. (I kind of suspected it was Steam doing something weird; I've run into issues with it before.) Basically, I told Steam to not handle any controller duties for Fallout 4. Copied from a Steam thread about another game:

1. In the Steam client go to the menu Steam -> Settings -> Controller -> General Controller Settings
  2. Make sure PS4/XBox Configuration Support is checked
  3. Go to Big Picture mode and find Prey in you library
  4. Click Mange Game -> Controller Options and uncheck Use Steam Configuration for Non-Steam Controllers
  5. Uncheck the setting from step 1 again, depending on whether it was checked in the first place

Using this method (I mostly ignored step 5), my copy of F04 seems to work fine with F4SE: a single button press now only registers once, like normally. For now. I'll update if things break again.

Yeah. Unfortunately, trying this method only results in my controller emulating mouse movements. I came across this solution a bit before I came across the second controller solution while looking at the problem Bethesda introduced to Prey in THAT update. It doesn't work for me. :(

But thanks for trying. :)

Yeah. Unfortunately, trying this method only results in my controller emulating mouse movements. I came across this solution a bit before I came across the second controller solution while looking at the problem Bethesda introduced to Prey in THAT update. It doesn't work for me. :sad:

But thanks for trying. :smile:

Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what else to recommend. For what it's worth, I tried a second controller, but that doesn't work for me.

• 2 weeks later...