Computer lowered quality setting after update

OrangeSkull49

So before my computer automatically set my quality settings for NV to Ultra. The game ran pretty smoothly despite a few minor framerate hiccups so I set it to High with better results. So after my computer did an update for Windows 10 creators I decided to launch NV again to continue playing, but my computer now set my quality to Medium and when I set it to High or Ultra it runs considerably poorly. I tried turning off Game Mode and the Game Bar to no avail.

My specs:

Processor- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Video Card- 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)

Memory- 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)

Hard Drive-128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s

There was talk about a Win10 "Creators" update this fall (so perhaps that was part of your update) which would "fix" the VRAM limit accidentally imposed on DirectX9 games. Unfortunately, we have not heard any details about it's impact on FNV. Check through your "Windows Update" log for the latest "Knowledge Base" (KB) number and read up on the details of that patch. You may then need to track reports about that patch on the internet. Pay attention to your video card vendor support forums as they may need to update their drivers.

We would be interested to hear what you learn for others who may encounter the problem. (Please provide links if possible.)

Please see the 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup', 'Cause-1' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide in case it disabled your existing DirectX9 drivers.

[Edit: Oh, and welcome to the "bleeding edge" of computing. Their "edge", your "blood".]

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent