FO4 Modding Tutorial List

Deleted33373940User

Thank you so much for this list! It's a lot more convenient then going through a long video tutorial, and having to skip to find the answers to basic questions.

• 4 weeks later...

The two things I want to learn about; snap points and settlement object navmeshes, have broken links. Is @Stuyk still involved with the FO4 Modding scene? Anywhere else to learn these things?

I am wanting to fix the snap points between mods to be more uniform. Example: Vanilla Extensions>Structures>Wood>Outer Shack Wall. Clean Settlements has the exact model but textured differently (cleaner) and has a small piece that will snap to the side of it. That same small piece will not snap to the VE piece. On the flip side VE has Gap Fillers that do not snap to the Clean Settlement Pieces. They also don't snap to some pieces right. i.e. Snap to low. There are many inconsistencies to snapping in the game and across different mods that I would like to fix.

As for navmeshes I would like to see if it is even possible to fix settlement object issues and settlement nav meshes in general. Using Scrap Everything I think messes with the inbuilt nav meshes. I built a simple walkthrough area in TenPines that my settlers will not walk on. I know the pieces I put down are navmeshed but they won't walk there. I even used Navmesh Fixer though it didn't work.

Would like to learn these things through and through top to bottom to know how they work and see if it can be done.

The two things I want to learn about; snap points and settlement object navmeshes, have broken links. Is @Stuyk still involved with the FO4 Modding scene? Anywhere else to learn these things?

I am wanting to fix the snap points between mods to be more uniform. Example: Vanilla Extensions>Structures>Wood>Outer Shack Wall. Clean Settlements has the exact model but textured differently (cleaner) and has a small piece that will snap to the side of it. That same small piece will not snap to the VE piece. On the flip side VE has Gap Fillers that do not snap to the Clean Settlement Pieces. They also don't snap to some pieces right. i.e. Snap to low. There are many inconsistencies to snapping in the game and across different mods that I would like to fix.

As for navmeshes I would like to see if it is even possible to fix settlement object issues and settlement nav meshes in general. Using Scrap Everything I think messes with the inbuilt nav meshes. I built a simple walkthrough area in TenPines that my settlers will not walk on. I know the pieces I put down are navmeshed but they won't walk there. I even used Navmesh Fixer though it didn't work.

Would like to learn these things through and through top to bottom to know how they work and see if it can be done.

Here is a great tutorial on how to navmesh

Snap points are added / edited in NifSkope. Open NifSkope and select 'File / Browse Archive'. In the explorer window pop-up, navigate to Fallout4 - meshes (which in in your Fallout Data folder)

In the search box at the top in NifSkope, type 'shackwallflat'. From the list double click on 'shackwallflat.nif' to open it in the editor window.

In the box, on the left find and click on the word 'Block List'

Expand the tree in that same window by click in the arrow next to the word '0 NiNode'

Click on the word '2 BSConnectionPoint::Parents' in the same window.

You can see now in the editor window, lots of green circles have appeared around the shack wall. These are the default snap points used in-game.

In the bottom window, on the left are the snap points properties.

CJXZjQF.png

Here is a list of snap node names that you might find useful.

That should be enough to get you started on using / editing snap points.

Good luck!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for that. The snapping is something I'll dive into over the next few weeks.

I already watched that navmesh video and it looks like it'll be useful for general settlement navmeshing but it doesn't show how to apply navmeshes to settlement objects such as concrete foundation or the half size wood floor.

I appreciate the helpful response.

Thanks for that. The snapping is something I'll dive into over the next few weeks.

I already watched that navmesh video and it looks like it'll be useful for general settlement navmeshing but it doesn't show how to apply navmeshes to settlement objects such as concrete foundation or the half size wood floor.

I appreciate the helpful response.

OK, do you know you're way around the Creation Kit? If so, this will be easy.

Open the Mod's esp file that you want to add the NavMesh to.

In the Creation Kit Object Window's search box, type the name of the object that you would like to add the NavMesh to.

When you've found the object, right click on it and select 'NavMesh Object'. Follow the NavMesh instructions from that video and apply them to the object in the same way.

Once you've finished NavMeshing the object, go to the drop down menu at the top of the screen and click 'NavMesh'

From the list, first click 'Check NavMeshes' and if there are no errors (these will appear in the error window, if there are any). After that, click on 'Finalize Cell NavMeshes'

Do this for each and any objects that you would like to add NavMesh to.

I know my way around the CK well enough just really out of practice. I'll go through some of the tutorials to hammer it home again. That does sound simple to do. Is there a way to see if the piece is already navmeshed? So I don't end up doubling up on the navmesh, or will the CK tell me that if I try to add a navmesh on top of a navmesh?

Thank you for the help.

Yes, you will see if an object is already NavMeshed or not. When you click 'NavMesh Object', and the object is open in the render window, it will either have a pink surface (NavMeshed) or no pink surface (not NavMeshed). You can change this using the NavMesh icon panel (as seen in that video from above).

If you're doing simple shaped objects, such as squares, you can use the 'auto NavMesh' function which will automatically cover the object with NavMesh information.

Once the object is ready to be NavMeshed (right click on the object and select 'NavMesh Object') go to the drop down menu at the top of the screen and select 'NavMesh'.

From the list, click on 'Generation' and then 'Havok Based Generation'. A window will appear with lots of parameters. You can ignore all of those and just click on the OK box.

After that, repeat the steps from above ('Check NavMeshes' / 'Finalize Cell NavMeshes')

Depending on the complexity of the shape, this method can sometimes borg Creation Kit, so make sure to save before you try this.

Ok will do. I'm probably going the long and difficult route to try and figure out why settlers don't walk to some places/pieces. Reading a post a couple of days ago pointed out that using Scrap Everything can mess with the cells navmeshing as well.

In Tenpines SE will allow you to scrap a piece next to the crops called "Forest Floor" or something like that. I did so and placed some concrete foundations but the settlers will not walk there even with the navmesh fixer I linked earlier.

So I am wanting to try finding a way to make it all play well together.

Again Thank You for the help!!

EDIT: Are the settlement objects bunched in the same folder? Or is there a list of the file names somewhere that you know of? I don't mind the slow sifting through to find them but anything quicker/easier would be nice.

EDIT2: How do you add the snap points. I apologize for asking so many noob questions. This is why I was looking for a tutorial on the subject.

Edited by l0new0lf331

• 3 months later...

This would be my first mod so please bear with me.

How do I overhaul the amounts of bottle caps available as loot? I would like to have LESS bottle caps available at all. I would also like to have less available ammo to loot. (The raiders have to use their ammo... why would they have so much on hand?) This would have the net effect IMHO of making the choices about how you spend your caps more important. Weapons/ammo or the luxury accommodations of beautiful downtown Diamond City?

• 3 months later...

I can't seem to find any tutorials that show how to convert Skyrim armors to Fallout 4. Know of any? I've looked through this list and can't seem to find any that showcase this step by step. One was close on the nexus but it was poorly done and I ended up failing pretty hard.