change the vfx

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Alehazar

Alehazar

Speed Griffon

• Premium Member
  • 884 posts

Holy Smite, Mana Clash and Paralysis Explosion more often than not, crash my game and ruin the immersion and overall experience.

I read somewhere that this is mainly a graphical issue; has to do with the VFX attached to these effects? A blue cloud imploding?

Personally, I do not know how, but could somehow swap these effects for a different -less demanding- effect?

It could save my game.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: my system specs are not the issue.

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,731 posts

Try the "Personal Annoyance Remover" (PAR).

Alehazar

Alehazar

Speed Griffon

• Premium Member
  • 884 posts

Try the "Personal Annoyance Remover" (PAR).

Holy Smite, Mana Clash and Paralysis Explosion are not listed in this mod.

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,731 posts

<facepalm>  Forgot that PAR only affects persistent  VFX.

And every other VFX "remover" I found (including the one in IA) either only does the same, or only adds the removing of effects from weapons.

Sorry.  :sad:

theskymoves

theskymoves

Mrs Grumpy Girdle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Threw something together, though I've no way to test it in-game. (So caveat modder...)

Crashing is a Crashing Bore

<snippet from the ReadMe...>

...replaced VFX of three talents - Holy Smite, Mana Clash, and Paralysis Explosion - with some less visually intensive vanilla effects.

There are five different options. INSTALL ONLY ONE!!!!!!

v1 replaces

Holy Smite VFX with AntiMagic Burst VFX (90049/90050 > 90183/90184)
Mana Clash VFX with Cleanse Area VFX (90190/90191 > 90047/90048)
Paralysis Explosion VFX with Mass Paralysis VFX (90297/90102 > 90131/90132)

---

v2 replaces

Holy Smite + Mana Clash VFX with AntiMagic Burst VFX
Paralysis Explosion VFX with Mass Paralysis VFX

---

v3 replaces

Holy Smite + Mana Clash VFX with Cleanse Area VFX
Paralysis Explosion VFX with Mass Paralysis VFX

---

v4 replaces the VFX for all three with the Cleanse Area VFX

---

v5 replaces the VFX for all three with the AntiMagic Burst VFX

<end snippet>

It's totes based on a now-unavailable mod that I used to use, called 'Holy Smite and Mana Clash No Crash'. (Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.)

Edited by theskymoves, 13 September 2017 - 02:12 PM.

Alehazar

Alehazar

Speed Griffon

• Premium Member
  • 884 posts

I don't know what to say, but thank you -thank you very much. From what I've read, your solutions -don't worry, i'll pick only one- should [in theory] do the trick. Seems like my Warrior will now have a decent shot in successfully smiting evil mages.

Once again, thank you! I'll be sure to endorse once I've put the mod through its paces; this might take a while though -I scrapped my old Warrior and my new one is just starting her Origin story.

I hope that people who share(d) my frustration will check out your solution and give it go.

theskymoves

theskymoves

Mrs Grumpy Girdle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Was my pleasure and I've got my fingers crossed that it works.

My interest in this is longstanding, and very personal, after a particularly painful run in which playing through Broken Circle at a higher level than is my usual habit resulted in EVERYONE - Alistair, the Warden, Wynne, NPC Templars - constantly Holy Smite-ing and Mana Clash-ing. Ultimately, there was one encounter that I only got past by installing the aforementioned and no longer available 'No Crash' mod. (That room on the 4th floor with a blood mage and several Charmed/Possessed Templars, who will Holy Smite en mass as soon as the door is opened. Grrr. I hate those guys.)

balmz

balmz

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

My interest in this is longstanding, and very personal, after a particularly painful run in which playing through Broken Circle at a higher level than is my usual habit resulted in EVERYONE - Alistair, the Warden, Wynne, NPC Templars - constantly Holy Smite-ing and Mana Clash-ing. Ultimately, there was one encounter that I only got past by installing the aforementioned and no longer available 'No Crash' mod. (That room on the 4th floor with a blood mage and several Charmed/Possessed Templars, who will Holy Smite en mass as soon as the door is opened. Grrr. I hate those guys.)

thanks for the mod, might be an idea just to have that as a separate mod with its own page, otherwise people might not find the mod 

theskymoves

theskymoves

Mrs Grumpy Girdle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

thanks for the mod, might be an idea just to have that as a separate mod with its own page, otherwise people might not find the mod 

My apologies for the inconvenience. My preference is, of course, to upload things individually with a detailed explanation of what it does and all that, but I received complaints regarding the quantity/quality  of mods I've shared, and was asked to consolidate my releases onto one page.

Eventually, I'll be moving all my craptastic mods to one 'project page'.

Page loaded in: 0.711 seconds