Need Ideas for Mercenary Groups

Jinzor

Okay so, I'm currently working on a mod which aims to add in multiple hireable mercenary groups into the game (Warbands, Companies etc). If anyone has played the "Mercenary Company" mod, imagine that but on a grander scale (i.e. rather than just one mercenary company option, you have multiple - all with their own rules / requirements / unique style etc) and no essential NPCs. Each group has a captain / leader figure (not that powerful, not essential and, if they die, can respawn after a period of time) with weaker minions following them (can call on more to join if you pay for them). Once the captain / leader figure dies, the minions retreat back to their origin, and you'll have to hire the company through that respawned captain / leader figure again when he / she respawns. If the captain / leader figure doesn't die 24 hours after hiring them, you will have to pay an upkeep of -50% the initial fee, otherwise will return to their origin and require the initial fee to be paid again. I would also like to (after initial release) give the option for players to join them on temporary radiant quests provided that they meet the requirements to join if there are any (e.g. race, skills, purchased / using uniform etc).

I want to do one for every hold, each with their own distinctive look (custom content can be made by me - new 3D models and textures)/skills - but always oriented around loud combat (so no sneaking around). I do have a few initial ideas for two or three companies, such as the ones listed below, but for the rest I don't know what they ought to be like. I want each company to look and feel different to one another, so that the player can mix and match them to suit their (loud) play style, but I need some ideas since I'm not all down with the lore of the series as some others are. Once I get the mod working with vanilla content and unique functions for the different merc groups, I will start doing the custom armor/weapons and finally voice overs for them (since I have a good mic and an accent like some of the Imperial Legionnaires, I'll probably do an Imperial race captain - EEC probably).

1. Blackwood Company (Morthal) - Average

From the ashes of the former Blackwood company that existed during the times of the Oblivion Crisis, the Blackwood Company was revived during the time of the Great War. Headquartered in southern Cyrodiil, the ever increasing demand for fighters across Tamriel has the newly resurrected Blackwood Company exceeding their past glory through accepting many contracts other mercenary companies would not consider accepting - wherever there's a marsh, there's likely a group of Blackwood mercenaries ready to do one's bidding for the right price. Primarily consisting of heavily armored mercenaries of Argonians, Khajiit, some Imperials and even a few Orcs, they fight for anyone who pay their fees and welcome anyone into their ranks provided they're comfortable in heavy armor. Due to their predecessor's notorious use of the illegal magical drug known as "hist sap" 200 years ago, they have sworn to never use magic while on contract - instead relying on their own steely resolve to distance themselves from their past shame. Employers or those wishing to offer their services to the Blackwood Company must refrain from using any magic in their presence (if you do, they will require the player to pay the initial fee again if the player has employed them or risk them disbanding immediately, or tell the player to leave their party if accompanying them on a radiant quest).

2. Breton Band (Markarth) - Cheap

*TBD*

3. East Empire Company Marines (Solitude) - Expensive

You know of the East Empire Trading Company already, but what about their private fighting force? These guys are mostly disciplined former-Legionnaires employed by the company who are in Skyrim to protect the Empire's interests through the EEC on land. You can hire out these marines for a ridiculous price and are rewarded with their power, but they refuse to fight against other Legionnaires (EEC loyalties to the Empire) and/or Thalmor factions (in fear of sparking a Second Great War). They use Imperial-style armor/weapons and are pretty diverse, as the EEC recruits from not just current/former provincial Legions of the Empire, but also from members of the Imperial Navy and pirate groups from the Sea of Ghosts. Being a member of the Imperial Legion of Skyrim provides a discount towards their hiring fee and allows the player to join immediately. They cannot be hired at all if the player is a Stormcloak.

4. Talos Warband (Windhelm) - Expensive

Parallel to the EEC in that they are also disciplined former-Legionnaires. However, they are faithful Talos worshippers and therefore renounced their loyalty to the Empire, who have blasphemed against their patron deity by signing the White-Gold Concordat. They put faith in only themselves and Talos, taking on the role as sellswords to make a living. They warm to others who also put faith in Talos, therefore they will not fight those who fight for Talos (i.e. Stormcloaks). Being a member of the Stormcloaks provides a discount towards their hiring fee, and cannot be hired if you are part of the Imperial Legion. They are distrusting of non-Nord races (especially Mer), so the cost will increase if the player is not a Nord. They also cannot be hired if the player is an Imperial Legionnaire.

5. ? (Whiterun) - Cheap

Not sure what their background will be, but I would want to make these guys ideally suitable for starting players. They would be the most neutral and easily obtainable/joinable. They would also be the weakest individually, but stronger in larger, upgraded groups. If wishing to join, there will be no certain requirements to join on radiant quests - they're practically unorganised fodder.

6. ? (Riften) - ?

Maybe a thug-like group?

7. ? (Falkreath) - ?

Redguards, since the hold borders mainly on Hammerfell?

8. ? (Dawnstar) - ?

... no ideas yet.

9. ? (Winterhold) - ?

Mages or Spellswords?

So, anyone got any ideas for potential mercenary groups?

Edited by Jinzor

For the most part mine would work on a hold-by-hold basis as opposed to cities I guess (with where their HQ's initial placement are based), and I was approaching it with a public turned highly trained militia with mainly Nords with a few exceptions, those details I haven't ironed out completely yet - but basically all groups originating in Skyrim. I like your Blackwood company idea migrating from Cyrodil, and it leaves you with flexible design approaches for each team. None of them essential but Captains fairly hard to kill, with the other members being very expendable. Maybe a mini-quest where you have to generate interest in each group for people to join? I spent a fair while mood boarding/ pulling together different looks for each so if this ever becomes a reality I have a rough idea what each group will look like. A reputation system between the player and the groups would be good. Maybe some implementation of Ether dynamics AI stuff too? All stuff you've thought of I guess, our biggest varying component would more than likely be the design of the individual groups I guess.

If there's anything specific you wanna talk about, feel free :)