Preston Garvey - broken dialog "when freedom calls"

TurtleTy

Â

So didn't end up being a companion problem. Followed this advice and it worked.

Â

Turns out it's not enough to complete Open Season, you need to reverse the raider settlements and repopulate the settlements.

Â

You had raider settlements in the commonwealth? If yes, then sure - Preston won't talk with you. If you "convert" a settlement to a raider one this will lock up Preston.

Â

Yes but I did all of nuka world and Open Seasons before meeting Preston so he never even commented on it. I guess there was some behind the scenes variable blocking the dialogue with the raider settlements still up but not dialogue to react to that particular situation.

Â

After wiping out the settlements and getting rid of the raider flags though it worked perfectly.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Xilni

• 2 years later...

When i arrive to Sanctuary at the end of "when freedom calls" Preston runs through some dialog about how i lived there and then at the end he says he's glad to have me in dialog mode with no dialog to complete the quest. I've seen someone with this same issue who hasn't resolved it on another forum. I haven't run into the pines or whatever they're called yet and i've tried using console commands to recycle Preston (even myself). I've tried the remove faction cc too but it didnt make a difference. Does anyone know of any mods that conflict an npc like preston? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Okay folks, I did this and it worked. At the end of 'Freedom Calls', when annoying little Preston doesnt want any dialogue with you, you can try and finish the quest by console command. "setstage 001a001c 1000" -and it should complete. He still doesnt wanna talk, so i just started the quest (The First Step) Also by console, by typing "setstage 0011b36e 50" and then go to Tenpines Bluff and deal with their raider problem. After that,when you're supposed to head back to Sanctuary, teleport to Red Rocket and walk from there. The dialogue wheel popped up again, and I could continue on as normal. Hope this works for you too. I have plenty of mods BTW

Edited by Narkomarco

• 4 months later...

When i arrive to Sanctuary at the end of "when freedom calls" Preston runs through some dialog about how i lived there and then at the end he says he's glad to have me in dialog mode with no dialog to complete the quest. I've seen someone with this same issue who hasn't resolved it on another forum. I haven't run into the pines or whatever they're called yet and i've tried using console commands to recycle Preston (even myself). I've tried the remove faction cc too but it didnt make a difference. Does anyone know of any mods that conflict an npc like preston? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Okay folks, I did this and it worked. At the end of 'Freedom Calls', when annoying little Preston doesnt want any dialogue with you, you can try and finish the quest by console command. "setstage 001a001c 1000" -and it should complete. He still doesnt wanna talk, so i just started the quest (The First Step) Also by console, by typing "setstage 0011b36e 50" and then go to Tenpines Bluff and deal with their raider problem. After that,when you're supposed to head back to Sanctuary, teleport to Red Rocket and walk from there. The dialogue wheel popped up again, and I could continue on as normal. Hope this works for you too. I have plenty of mods BTW

I have high hopes for your fix because i've encountered this issue and i've been searching for ways to fix it for hours now and to see a fix in the year 2020 is really encouraging for this horrible bug. The only issue is that literally nothing happents when i try to start The First Step in console. Like I type in the setstage sequence and nothing pops up. and yes i did end when freedom calls in console beforehand.

wow.. came here looking for that "fix" well nice try all ....same problem here.... no companion mods no settlement mods...Have not been to Nuka World.Just the Awkward stare of Mr. Garvey. so did anybody find.....Anything?

I used the console commands and at first nothing happened, I ventured to Tenpines Bluff (which was really arduos, bc I'm playing with Horizon mod and healing items are almost nonexistent.. xD). In tenpines bluff nothing happened, except I could already access the workshop. As soon as I did that the quest started.

I couldn't talk to the questgivers though, because they were somehow already settlers, so I forced the next stage too and wiped the raiders.

Now I can't finish the "First Step" quest, but at least Preston talked to me again.

So maybe try travelling to the butt end of nowhere, rest there for a couple of days and try him again. Otherwise you can try get stuck at the next quest like me I guess.

Edited by Fekete7777

• 4 weeks later...

This Is really annoying for over 3 years this bug is still in this game. Mods or vanilla, Pc or Console its still a huge problem to get around early game. Even in 2020 picking up the game again for a run threw with some new mods I have the bug but it seems now even console commands cant get a fix. (also no nuka world playthrough brand new start)

Once I get all the clan back to sanctuary Preston wont finish the Freedom Calls quest but that's fine "setstage 001a001c 1000" fixes that problem no worries but from there nothing else seems to work. No dialog tree, No workshop access no new quest and even console commands wont force a new quest to start. 3 hours down the drain no fix. Bethesda really can create Bugs out of nowhere. FO4 on release wasn't this bad.

I think I just helped someone with this very problem recently. I may be mis-reading the first post, though.

So, you get back to Sanctuary with Preston and friends - talk to Preston - and he says "Anyway, i'm glad you're here..." and never speaks up again. Is this the problem everyone is experiencing?

That's a normal problem. Preston can take quite a long time to finish his sentence here, so sometimes all you need to do is wait. Maybe one or two minutes - if he doesn't speak up after that long, he's not going to speak up.

If that's the case, don't talk to Preston. Before you talk to him at Sanctuary, go to Tenpines. Go to Tenpines and either Kill those settlers, or do their quest independently.

The reason Preston pauses for so long, is because in that long pause, something is goin' down at Tenpines. Someone's getting kidnapped, or something's triggering in Corvega, or some ghouls are acting up. Sometimes Preston just can't figure out whatever hell is being wrought.

Not exactly the same but I found a similar dialog softlock condition:

"I just wrote a quick script that hops the player to each workshop so the references all load, take ownership and kill all linked actors. Ran it in a Fast Start New Game and then used Fast Start Minutemen to rescue the museum crew to Sanctuary (known to be 100% reliable with over 10K unique PC & Xbox users).

Player & Preston do the Quincy genaralissimo chitchat then Preston says "are you ready to help out" and the camera just pans around no more dialogue. The building stuff for Sturges at Sanctuary quest doesn't start either, so looks like Own All Workshops + Kill all settlers (including 3 invulnerable kids) is not a conditioned dialog path to kick the Minutemen quest line at The First Step.
Who'd have thunk it ?"

I might've misread your post SKK, but it sounds like you tried taking all of the settlements in the game before talking to Preston in order to kick off the Minutemen questline?
I'm pretty sure you can't do that, it'll bork things up. Preston NEEDS to send you to help a settlement. It doesn't have to be Tenpines - if you either kill or help them before talking to Preston, he'll send you to a different unclaimed settlement.