Oblivion CTD with ENB or ReShade or SweetFX under Windows 10

CocaineJohnsson

Righto, so I've been trying to troubleshoot this off and on for a while now - so I have a nice and fresh oblivion install, no mods and only OBSE installed (no point in playing without it), this runs like a charm in and of itself (no surprise there).

So I figure, lets install ENBBoost so we can use more than 4GB memory and benefit from some of the other features it offers. CTD. (d3d9.dll wrapper)
Righto, so the wrapper CTD's - let's try the injector, on the bright side we don't CTD. On the not-so-bright side we also do not have ENB (no overlay message telling us we have ENB, no log)

what about ENBSeries? Same story, CTD. (d3d9.dll wrapper)

SweetFX? Same story. (d3d9.dll wrapper)

ReShade? Same story. (d3d9.dll wrapper)

This leads me to the belief that it's a systemic issue, any d3d9.dll based injector seems to have the same problem.

Righto, so common solutions:

Disable XBOX Game DVR bloatware - done and done, didn't fix it.
Install DirectX June 2010 Redist - done and done, also didn't fix it.
Disable overclocking softwares and other overlays (including steam overlay), done and done for all the ones I could think of (nvidia driver has one, steam overlay, EVGA Precision XOC)

So that's a bummer.

What about compatibility settings?

The internet recommends XP SP3 or Vista SP1 as the settings, tried both (with and without run as admin, with and without DPI scaling, with and without fullscreen optimizations, I also did this for all other OS versions (95, 98/me, xp sp2, xp sp3, vista, vista sp1, vista sp2, 7, 8 (which if my math is correct is about 216 or so possible compatibility setting combinations), this did not fix it.

a more extreme approach is clearly needed.

Nuke XBOX Game DVR Bloatware from the face of the earth via Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage, done and done. (didn't fix it, more or less as expected)
Nuke Precision XOC from the face of the earth, done and done (also didn't fix it).
nuke drivers from the face of the earth and downgrade, progressively upgrade until back where we are. Also nuke bloat like 3d vision. This did not fix it.
the drivers is probably the most arduous of the debugging steps thus far (although 216 compatibility profiles was quite patience taxing as well)

step 1) download DDU
step 2) uninstall with DDU
step 3) reboot into safe mode, reinstall and uncheck everything except the core driver package
step 4) reboot, try.
step 5) go to step 2 and start over with the next progressive driver version.

This, also, did not fix it.

And thus I'm at a loss, something is interfering with d3d9.dll based injectors, I can't identify what, and all the common debugging steps have failed me. Hence why I'm here, did I miss some possible fix perhaps?

For specs, please see the CPU-Z report system specs(tl;dr i7-6700, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB ram) here: https://pastebin.com/ReVH4w1C
I was going to attach it (it's a bit on the long side for just embedding in the post, that paste is set to never expire) but the upload failed, the forum software has no apparent means of telling me why so pastebin it is.

Edited by LordHexahedron