first time ENB modding; Skyrim looks 'effed' up now

jmcclatc

I've gotten used to a number of mods for game play and whatnot, but ENB modding for graphics is totally new to me. Here's what my game is looking like now.

https://imgur.com/a/D3EkH

I'm gonna describe what mods I used, and what directions I followed(as well as where i deviated). Along the way, I'll also point out different areas that may or may not have caused a problem.

I used two mods so far. First, I used Reallikeenb

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22056/?

It worked fine, made the sun rays look neat. I used "quality version " not "performance version ".

And then I used enhanced shades NLA

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61206/?

Now, this second link tells me to download ENB v 265. But that version didn't seem to be available anymore. The first link had me download v. 0.221 so I just kept using that while following the instructions for the second link. Could that be what messed me up?

There are links there to mindflux's particle mods,but the links 404d, so I found mindflux's particle stuff on a mega drive site. Hopefully it wasn't the wrong one. And then I used Mod Organizer to install the Mindflux stuff. No obvious issues from MO. I also used what the page refered to as the "wrapper version", and the "high" performance preset.

Could it be that the two mods are conflicting? They were both listed on the same article, so I'd imagine that they should be used together.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-make-your-own-skyrim-special-edition-with-mods/

I have an 8 core processor, 16GB RAM and Radeon vCard with 8gig. If anyone needs, I can flesh out those details later. I'm typing on my phone from work so I don't have my PC details with me.

Am I missing any relevant info? Aside from any deviations I already mentioned, I followed the instructions for each mod to a tee.

If I can't get these mods to work, I'd also like advice on Uninstalling them. It involved a lot of file copying into the skyrim root folder and making a few changes to skyrimprefs.ini so I'm not sure how to undo all that if I actually have to.

By two mods conflicting, are you referring to the two ENB's? You only should use one, either RealLike or NLA. Usually when an ENB mentions a specific version and it's not available, you go up to the next available rather than down. It's very possible your 221 won't work with something based on 265. The current ENB is around 315, so 221 is pretty old.

As for uninstalling, click the eyeglass on both files you downloaded to see what they contain and remove them, pretty much every file that starts with enb... Since you're using MO, your data folder should be pretty clean and easy to find files that have been deposited there. The ENB files themselves to remove are d3d9.dll and enbhost.

If you want to try again with a more recent ENB, a good starting point is Grim and Somber. Even if you don't use one of the presets there, the instructions for setting up the ENB is the clearest I've seen anywhere. Also, you will find the Mindflux files there in the optionals. Once you have the basics figured out, Rudy ENB is an excellent choice closer to vanilla but with nice effects.

By two mods conflicting, are you referring to the two ENB's? You only should use one, either RealLike or NLA. Usually when an ENB mentions a specific version and it's not available, you go up to the next available rather than down. It's very possible your 221 won't work with something based on 265. The current ENB is around 315, so 221 is pretty old.

As for uninstalling, click the eyeglass on both files you downloaded to see what they contain and remove them, pretty much every file that starts with enb... Since you're using MO, your data folder should be pretty clean and easy to find files that have been deposited there. The ENB files themselves to remove are d3d9.dll and enbhost.

If you want to try again with a more recent ENB, a good starting point is Grim and Somber. Even if you don't use one of the presets there, the instructions for setting up the ENB is the clearest I've seen anywhere. Also, you will find the Mindflux files there in the optionals. Once you have the basics figured out, Rudy ENB is an excellent choice closer to vanilla but with nice effects.

Thanks! I weeded out the stuff from the second link and got it going with only the ReallikeENB one. Nice sunglares now.

I don't know if you have any insight on this, but the reason I used both was because they were both on this article.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-make-your-own-skyrim-special-edition-with-mods/

It kind of gives the impression that you're intended to use all mods listed in this article; perhaps it was just shitty writing?

Thanks again; I can actually play now :-)

Glad you got it worked out. Yeah, I think the article meant them mostly as individual options because quite a few of those mods would conflict as they do similar things. I wouldn't use Purity with those ENB's. He only mentions it for the water and there are plenty great water options that don't mess with the weather and visuals.

And hopefully you're seeing more than just the sunglares, as that ENB should be changing the rest of the visuals as well, bluer skies, darker interiors and nights, etc. from the looks of the screenshots.

Glad you got it worked out. Yeah, I think the article meant them mostly as individual options because quite a few of those mods would conflict as they do similar things. I wouldn't use Purity with those ENB's. He only mentions it for the water and there are plenty great water options that don't mess with the weather and visuals.

And hopefully you're seeing more than just the sunglares, as that ENB should be changing the rest of the visuals as well, bluer skies, darker interiors and nights, etc. from the looks of the screenshots.

Yes, darker interior and MUCH darker nights. In fact, too dark I recently noticed. I'll be checking the page for solutions on adjusting the brightness. I did install Purity but didn't really notice a difference. Perhaps i did it wrong but i'll try some other water mod later.

Yes, darker interior and MUCH darker nights. In fact, too dark I recently noticed. I'll be checking the page for solutions on adjusting the brightness. I did install Purity but didn't really notice a difference. Perhaps i did it wrong but i'll try some other water mod later.

The really dark nights are a feature of Purity, so with that mod it will be much darker than the ENB's own darkness. It won't matter what changes you make to the ENB itself, the nights will be darker because of Purity. The Purity author recommends not using an ENB with his mod because they will clash. If you like the water of Purity, then Pure Waters is a water only version of that mod without changing the visuals and weather.