A question reguarding reinstalling.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

So what would happen if I deleted my skyrim folder and Nexus still shows the green check marks in my list? Would unchecking them and rechecking them again reinstall it properly? And to add to that question. Some of the installers I know have pop up option menus. When you uncheck, and recheck them, it re-installs.. "I think"...  but how is it reinstalling? Is it remembering the settings I chose, or how does that work? Is it bad to do that? The reason I ask is because right clicking, and reinstalling the mod that way takes for flippin ever... Longer then if I re downloaded the mod its self and installed it manually... Some of them when you reinstall like that wont ever fully load. Or it will.. 15 minutes later... I just downloaded a fresh nexus so before you answer my question with a question, No, I'm not out of date...

DaddyDirection

DaddyDirection

Sic Parvis Magna

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

1. Deleting the Skyrim folder would delete the mods you installed as well.

2. Enabling and Disabling a mod is quick because you simply enabling and disabling it. It "remembers" what you did.

3. Reinstalling takes longer than re-enabling a mod because it's actually "removing" the files you previously populated the Data folder with so you may install them all over again.

What are you system specs? As in, CPU, GPU, RAM (and configuration), and Storage (HDD, SSD). I'm assuming you have such slow re-installs of files that are already present on your PC because there is some aspect of your system that is slowing things down.

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

Sorry for late Reply. Had an internet problem/ Still, why does it show up green checked, if it dont actually exist in my mods folder?

As far as my specs-

i7- 5820k 6-Core

32GB DDR4 RAM

2T Toshiba HDD 7200RPM <--- That might be the problem, lol.

Geforce GTX 1080 (8GB Video RAM)

Windows 10 64-bit

Waiting for SSD's to lower in price. I have way too much stuff to downgrade to 512GB

A LOW END, 2T SSD is as expensive as my graphics card... :/

A good one, from a solid manufacturer is almost $900.00, in other words.. I'll wait... If I know tech like I think I do, they will be $100.00 in 3 years.

DaddyDirection

DaddyDirection

Sic Parvis Magna

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

It's probably your HDD. Everything else in your system is top notch - you should be really proud of that. You could get a 256GB SSD just for the game(s) you're modding. The downloads would be located on your HDD. Not a whole lot of point in having an SSD for your entire system, at least not at this point. 

As for why NMM may still show green check marks, it may be due to the new way NMM works. It keeps the archives in a separate spot - which is what you reinstall. It should empty your Data folder if you delete it. Though I've never actually deleted the Skyrim folder manually before - so maybe I'm wrong. Giving this issue a second thought after all of this time, there is a chance that uninstalling the game could allow you to reinstall your mods. However, I am fairly certain you would need to reinstall them. I have just three mods installed currently in Skyrim Special Edition - and it takes no time to reinstall the game so I suppose I could test it out for you later, but that's assuming you haven't already done it yourself.

The green check may just stay there because that signifies you installed it. I'm not really sure if it runs on a smart system that actually detects if the files are actually present or not. For instance, that green check could be there - but the mod had been "unchecked" from the load order side. In other words, the mods is not actually loaded - but the install pane says it's good to go. Hopefully that makes sense.         

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

No, that makes perfect sense. Well, on my end I unchecked and then checked the green boxes. It seemed to have reinstalled the packages as if it were new. So thats good. I was just worried about it installing the .esp files without transferring the textures and meshes and scripts over too. Thats what I was worried about. But it would seem that it does install the textures and what not if you uncheck, and then check.

Isuue with SSD is that if I'm going to have one. It's gotta be large enough for everything I do. Not just games. Games are just a small part of my computer. My computer is also my work space. I'm a 3D artist, I have 6TB of data Spread across a few hundred programs. But only 600GB of it is for games. And even then a 256GB is still too small. Technically speaking I could be one of the best modders here but I just dont have the time to do that ontop of everything else I do... I have 30-50MB PNG Textures before Normal Mapping and skin textures and models that will make your pants wet...  lol

I could remodel this guy to be a drauger if I wanted to

https://www.daz3d.co.../exile_full.jpg

How about bringing back them Dwarven craftsmen? =D

https://www.daz3d.co...s-work_full.jpg

now Thats REAL HD haha

No but in all seriousness thanks for the help.

DaddyDirection

DaddyDirection

Sic Parvis Magna

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

No  problem - glad I could offer some kind of help. As for storage - you could just have a multi-drive setup. Like 2 256GB SSD's in RAID, and maybe 3 3TB HDD's. Just an example. This naturally depends on how your case is setup - and how many drives it supports and stuff, but not everything needs to go on the SSD.

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

What I might do is buy a 4T Drive and a 1T SSD. Use the SSD for my OS and my programs files and the 4T for my data. But that will be in the future. Their still a little too over priced right now. They used to be 2,000.00 for a 1T just a few years ago now their getting to be around 400.00. I'll wait until they are 200 for 1T. Then it will be worth the buy. Every year they seem to drop by 50.00-100.00... I mean its not like I cant afford 400.00 It's just that they drop in price so rapidly that from one month to the next I'm wasting money. When they find their home price, then I'll go for it.

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

No  problem - glad I could offer some kind of help. As for storage - you could just have a multi-drive setup. Like 2 256GB SSD's in RAID, and maybe 3 3TB HDD's. Just an example. This naturally depends on how your case is setup - and how many drives it supports and stuff, but not everything needs to go on the SSD.

Ok, You convinced me... Special you.  :cool:

Who ever said posts cant change minds.

I Just ordered the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. Was something like $340 on Amazon. I'll use it as my main drive. I have no idea how to install one though. Got any good links?

I ordered another 1080 as well. and a 1000 WATT PSU.... I just spent a thousand dollars today lol...

NO! I dont need 16GB of VRAM for games. It's for other things as well. Plus the power is distributed, so that not all of the video processing is banking on one device. Prolonging the life span of the GPU's because they are never used and abused into submission, causing overheating and frame loss. I can underclock both of them and have them last 15 years and still have 200FPS on even the most demanding games in the world. But mainly its for my profession... It's more of a business investment.

New Computer Specs will be

i7-5820k 6 core

Samsung 1TB SSD with a 4T HDD 7200RPM 128MB Cache

(2) GTX 1080 Ti 8GB = 16GB

32GB DDR4 RAM

Asus MBAS-X99-A Motherboard

1000W PSU

Windows 10 64bit

I should buy the 10-core when I get a chance but then I'm going to have to have some serious cooling and that can get expensive and high maintenance. I tend to stick with processors that don't require Liquid cooling while still being top of the line. Plus 10-Cores are still new and I dont think they have all the kinks worked out, like the do 6 and 8 cores.

With the new PSU, GPU and SSD. This PC should last me to 2025.

danwat801

danwat801

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 195 posts

And on that note I discovered that the green check marks can e refreshed by deleting your games profile in the NMM folder. Then rebooting NMM, which will automatically create a brand new profile.

-For Future Reference.

DaddyDirection

DaddyDirection

Sic Parvis Magna

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Sounds like you really went all out! Good for you. Installing a SATA SSD shouldn't all that different to an HDD. How it rests in the case is a bit different due to the size, but not too different. I'll a link a video I found where someone is upgrading an existing PC by adding SSD, and showing you how to bring your Windows installation over. They also have RAM installation in this video, but you can just skip that part. It's a long video - but it is very detailed.

SSD Installation:

Spoiler

This link is to an article that may also be helpful, as it will go over some details on PC's with data already in them, and some of the obstacles you'll face cloning Windows onto the smaller drive. It's important that you go over this article prior to doing the install. 

Migrating Windows to an SSD:

https://www.howtogee...id-state-drive/

Page loaded in: 0.691 seconds