General Liu Chinese Semi-Auto Rifle

Littlepip2299

I have an idea for the implementation of the General Liu rifle(no formal name). Developed in the early 20th century by Qing En Liu as China's first self-loading rifle. Chambered in the 8mm Mauser cartridge(7.92x57) and boasting a 6-round magazine it was an innovative and very modern design. Its only limitation being that of its "Bang" gas-trap system to cycle the action. Unfortunately, General Liu suffered a debilitating stroke and without his guidance the project failed.

Now, as for its implementation into Fallout 4, I have several ideas and even a lore-friendly backstory. As it pertains to gameplay purposes the rifle should be chambered in the .308 round as it's the only appropriate cartridge in the vanilla game(I'm sure a New Calibers patch could be made). I can't really say what the damage figure should be but being that it's a 6-shot weapon the damage ought to be fairly high, and of course damage modifiers ought to be included for user balancing. Modifications would be limited, likely just sight zoom modifiers and a bayonet. Since the rifle never had a formal name, it could simply be called Chinese Militia Rifle or even the General Liu Rifle in-game. Leveled list integration would be preferred, and it would show up in the hands of high-level raiders and low-level gunners.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-semiauto-rifles/general-liu-rifle/

Now, for the part you've been waiting for: my lore-friendly backstory.

In the world of Fallout, General Liu did not suffer that terrible stroke and went on to see the project finished. Adopted in 1920 as China's standard-issue service rifle the General Liu served the People's Liberation Army for 60 years, being replaced by a suitable AK-pattern in 1980. The Liu was subsequently relegated to rear-echelon use; artillery crews, truck drivers, installation guards/sentries, etc., for an additional 20 years, at which point it was declared obsolete by the PLA's standards and issued to the People's Liberation Army Militia(PLAM), and it served them for 35 years before finally being retired from all use and subsequently mothballed.

By the time of the Sino-American War the Liu was over 100 years old, and was not issued to any branch or service of the Chinese military. However, China, being a less-industrious nation than the United States, needed guns and it needed as many as possible. With the Type 93(the "Chinese Assault Rifle" from Fallout 3) being issued to every PLA grunt on the frontlines in Anchorage the PLA needed second-rate guns to outfit the rear-echelon forces, and once again was the General Liu pulled out of mothball storage and issued to the soldiers of the PLA. In addition to limited combat use, the rifle was also issued to partisans: Chinese spies and insurgent cells undercover in the continental U.S such as those at the Mama Dolce's food production plant, and L.O.B Enterprises, and to the Chinese Navy for defense against boarding parties and for use by shore parties in case they are forced to abandon ship(as such, a unique General Liu Rifle could be placed on the Yangtze). Through bring-backs as war trophies and through loss during the Great War the General Liu rifle ended up scattered across the wasteland, to be used by the survivors of the newly-born wasteland as a hard-hitting, accurate, dependable rifle.

That's going to do it for my mod request. I would ask that should anyone take up this request to bring the General Liu into the world of Fallout 4 that they please port the mod to Bethesda for the Xbox One, as that's what I play FO4 on and the console community is immeasurably grateful for the modders who are so gracious as to bring their work to us. I hope the linked reference materials aid anyone who embarks on this project, and thank you for reading.