Do NOT Clean Skyrim Master Files!

Fkemman11

At least 5 times now I have had to replace files though Steam somehow "lost" from my Skyrim game folder. This happens after I clean the masters (not including Skyrim esm). Some mods for Skyrim needs those ITMs in its master files in order to run properly. I strongly believe that this is the problem and that it is not reported by people very often because they either do not clean their masters or the mods that they have do not need those files.

Case in point, I recently rebuilt Skyrim again and had done everything I knew to get it stable- to no avail. It was only after I had Steam verify game cache that it runs completely stable now. I have read that some mods also need its ITMs to function properly and I believe that this is true for Skyrim as well. It is probably fine to un-delete deleted references, but I would suggest that no one remove ITMs from the Master files such as Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfires, or Dragonborn. As I said it is not always game breaking, but I do believe it happens to many without them even realizing what the problem is.

If you are having random stability issues with Skyrim- such as ctds in various spots or while loading different areas or saves, go to Steam and right click on your Skyrim game in your games list. Under properties go to local files and then click on verify integrity of game files. Steam will detect any missing files and replace them for you. I hope this helps anyone that are having similar issues. :smile:

Edit; I do not think this is an issue with Skyrim and its DLCs by themselves. What I think this is are mods that are somehow dependent on some of those ITM files- so when they are missing your game will not run correctly.

I don't think ITM's are the kind of things Steam verify's (and thus replaces) when you verify the integrity of the game cache. I've verified the game cache a couple of times recently, and just now checked TESVEdit - and the filter did not show that anything needed to be "re-cleaned" in the Skyrim.esm for instance. Regardless, this is something you may want to bring up over at the S.T.E.P. Team forums so some of the people there can be made aware of your potential discovery.

ITMs are exact clone of a record from a file's master(s). They are not needed, so we remove them. They serve no f***ing purpose. These are things we've been doing and recommending since Oblivion. You are the first person I've seen during the 2 years I've been in the community say that, and I've dicked around in a lot of comment sections and forums during that time.

Edited by Pabulum

Fine. Maybe I am wrong. But what stinking files would Steam need to be replacing?

Your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes there are little config files or other miscellaneous things within the Skyrim folder that Steam may just want to replace. Now, if it's only 1 file that needs to be replaced then ignore it. Steam always will validate 1 file with Skyrim - it doesn't mean anything.

Fine. Maybe I am wrong. But what stinking files would Steam need to be replacing?

Your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes there are little config files or other miscellaneous things within the Skyrim folder that Steam may just want to replace. Now, if it's only 1 file that needs to be replaced then ignore it. Steam always will validate 1 file with Skyrim - it doesn't mean anything.

So should everyone that installs Sky go back and verify their game afterwards you think as another step in the install process?

I don't think ITM's are the kind of things Steam verify's (and thus replaces) when you verify the integrity of the game cache. I've verified the game cache a couple of times recently, and just now checked TESVEdit - and the filter did not show that anything needed to be "re-cleaned" in the Skyrim.esm for instance. Regardless, this is something you may want to bring up over at the S.T.E.P. Team forums so some of the people there can be made aware of your potential discovery.

Steams verify system only looks for missing files, it doesnt if the files content is the same