Newb Questions re HDT & UUNP

TJHammersmith

I'm still trying to get my head around how UUNP and HDT are meant to work.

In my game, my PC is using a UUNP mesh with the HDT system that came with Bodyslide. That all seems to be working reasonably well as I can use UUNP HDT armors.

For some reason, when I put a UUNP HDT armor on a female NPC, the mesh of the NPC "explodes" in seemingly every direction.

My understanding is that, except where a mod forces an NPC to use a separate body mesh, NPCs and the PC use the same mesh. So why would an armour work properly on the PC, but not the NPC?

Can anyone help me?

I take it you play a female character? I have never played a female so i may be totally wrong with the following.

The files for female 1st person (pc) skeleton and body mesh are actually different to those of the female npcs. In my game the female pc skeleton is found in:

actors\character\_1stperson\skeleton.nif

The body mesh is in:

actors\character\character assets\1stpersonfemalebody_0/1.nif

actors\character\character assets\1stpersonfemalehands_0/1.nif

The skeleton for female npcs is in :

actors\character\character assets female\skeleton.nif

Their body mesh is in :

actors\character\character assets\femalebody_0/1.nif

actors\character\character assets\femalehands_0/1.nif

Check to see if you have these files, and make sure the npcs' skeleton is XPMSE and their meshes are HDT. They may be your solution.

Happy modding.

Edited by freddark

Thanks for the help, but I don't think the information you've provided is correct.

In game, my NPC's and PC's have the same body shape, despite the two sets body/hand meshes you reference being different.

I tried also replacing the first person skeleton with the one for my PC (which works) and it totally changed my first person perspective and then crashed the game.

I really do appreciate the effort though.

Edited by TJHammersmith

• 3 weeks later...

theirs only 6 things that would cause that explosion:

1. HDT being applied to a non HDT Skeleton

2. Custom body armor and or clothing being applied to a vanilla body type (or bbp armor for 1 body type is being applied to a different body type (so in other words, cbbe, unp or any other custom body type armor and or clothing is being applied to bethesda vanilla body type)

3. BBP is being applied twice to the female

4. Texture not being applied to a mesh (either the mesh is missing or corrupt, however this usually results in a pink texture, however we are talking a body here, so this explosion would be the more likely outcome.)

5. Framerate is going way beyond 60 fps (basically meaning the havok engine is going mental, however this would also happen to your character.)

6. FNIS is not being applied to the npc in question. (again this would mean that the female npc(s) are using custom folders) since FNIS applies to the main female skeleton folder (you own character, of which npc do share, but not custom)

i don't recognize the name of the npc in question so i can only assume it is custom, so you would need to copy your skeleton to the folder of the npc. and replace their skeleton with your own. also when running FNIS the animations would apply to the female skeleton for the player, which npc do share. unless their custom as they would have their own folder.

i honestly dont know what to suggest, however i do know that the explosion issue caused by 1 of the things above, which means it is very likely that the npc in question at least does not have a HDT compatible skeleton. which means that she would have a custom folder. or in creation kit, the folder paths are not pointing to your own character skeleton (for the npc(s) in question)

Edited by Guest

An explosion can also be caused by mismatched _0.nif/_1.nif (mesh) files. Judging by the pics, I'm going to guess that your character is weight 100 and the NPC has a weight between 1 and 99? If so, then try this:

Go into 3rd-person view and open the console.

Click on your character.

Type: setnpcweight 50

Does it explode?

Type: setnpcweight 100

Is it back to normal now?

Look at the NPC and open the console.

Click on the NPC.

Type: setnpcweight 100

Does it get fixed?

Type: setnpcweight 0
Is it fixed now too?

When a character is weight 0, it uses the _0.nif mesh. When a character is weight 100, it uses the _1.nif mesh. When weight is between 1 and 99, it's a morph of the two meshes. Any inconsistency between the meshes can cause an explosion of vertices. It can be fixed with Outfit Studio, but you have to learn how to use it.

I have good news (and bad news).

I swapped from using NMM to ModOrganiser and as a result of uninstalling/reinstalling everything, the problem now seems to have resolved itself.

The bad news though is that I can't properly report back as to what caused the issue, but I'd like to thank you all for your help.