Creation Kit Issues...

KuraiNekoMT13

I am sorry if this is not the right place to be asking this, this is the first time I ever posted a topic on here, so please have some restraint if I did post in the wrong category. So I have been learning all I can about the Creation Kit for Skyrim, but I seem to be having issues. So what I am looking for is maybe a list of things I could be doing wrong and a solution to it if it is the cause, These are my issues:

• Can't create custom followers properly. Let me get into some detail here to help you guys understand what exactly is happening, so I watched a very detailed video tutorial on YouTube along with a few other videos on the same topic for making custom Followers and I did everything exactly as I was shown, not a part left out, but then when I went ahead and got to the part where you put them in game, it did not work. What happened was I went through all the processes exactly as told but when I went to see my custom follower in the game (Or at least where they should of been in game) and they where not there...I checked the whole interior of where I put them and nothing...they where no where to be found. When I read the comments it seems not many are actually having this issue, other then a few, so this is how I know the videos where accurate and the steps do work along with the finished result for most, but me and a vary few other people seem to not be able to get it to work right no matter how well we follow the steps.

So far that is my only issue and I would like help resolving it, if I have anymore issues with other stuff I will list it here and hopefully some friendly community members will help out, or I will just make a new topic instead, if this topic gets locked once solved, though I would like to keep this open and use this for resolving issues. If they let me keep this open I will type "(Solved)" with the solution below that worked to fix it or solve it, this may help others having the same issues as me to find the solutions all in one area. thank you for your time and please help if you can.

Edited by KuraiNekoMT13

What AI packages are you giving them, and are they copied from any other NPC?

If you place a follower in the middle of say Dragons Reach, but they have an AI package borrowed from another follower, like Faendal, they'll be wherever Faendal is at that particular time of day. So it's entirely possible the spawn in the interior, then walk out and go somewhere else, prior to you getting inside to see them.

Try going to where you've placed them, in the editor, and load the game, see if you can glimpse them at all. Or, you could try deleting their AI package(s) out of the form (keep a list) and adding a simple default sandbox package, close to editor location, so they should stay precisely where they're placed. If that works, then you know your issue is AI package. There are other things it could be, also, like if you had set them to an enable marker (like post-civil war guards, they don't spawn until the marker is active) but the AI package seems a likely candidate.

What AI packages are you giving them, and are they copied from any other NPC?

If you place a follower in the middle of say Dragons Reach, but they have an AI package borrowed from another follower, like Faendal, they'll be wherever Faendal is at that particular time of day. So it's entirely possible the spawn in the interior, then walk out and go somewhere else, prior to you getting inside to see them.

Try going to where you've placed them, in the editor, and load the game, see if you can glimpse them at all. Or, you could try deleting their AI package(s) out of the form (keep a list) and adding a simple default sandbox package, close to editor location, so they should stay precisely where they're placed. If that works, then you know your issue is AI package. There are other things it could be, also, like if you had set them to an enable marker (like post-civil war guards, they don't spawn until the marker is active) but the AI package seems a likely candidate.

I have not given them an specific AI package, I left their AI package blank and they where made through clicking new, not editing any others. Thanks for the reply, I was starting to worry I would not be able to get my answer.

This is the second video tutorial that I used to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlepT3rQ8LI&t=325s&index=7&list=PLE3E7CC13B95E5AB6

The first one basically told me to do the same thing but went more into detail of explaining what each button does.

Though I don't believe AI packaging is the problem I will still try what you told me to but instead using a test NPC/Follower that is not as detailed, in other words I am going to make one and give this a try but this time not spend so long on making them unique since it is just a test to see if this is the problem. If you could, can you please list off what you think any other reasons I am having the problem could be. Thank you.

Edited by KuraiNekoMT13

Yeah I knew it, it has nothing to do with AI packages...Now I am getting annoyed I have tried making a follower, following EVERY SINGLE STEP that I am told to do when reading and watching tutorials and nothing, my follower never shows up! Why the heck can other people do this but I can not!? It is starting piss me off and drive me more then a bit insane. This is ridiculous that some how some way it just is not working for me!

Also guess I looked for help in the wrong spot, I hardly ever get any replies from people to help me on this forum as oppose to other ones, but I asked the steam community as well and never got a response from anyone and that was two days ago, my topic does not even show up on the first page of the Steam list anymore because of how no one ever replied and I have waited this long. probably no one is going to reply now that you don't see it when you first go to discussions.

Edited by KuraiNekoMT13

Take it easy. Try other locations in case the location is changed by a mod or something. I can show some video from a follower I've made, because it isn't impossible, they should be there.

As a last resort you can also spawn them with the console to see what happens when they spawn at you. Do they run away etc etc

I also made a new ai package for my follower but it just works and I can't say why lol. I barely changed any settings either.

The Tutorial I Used

It goes over some other stuff at first but you can scroll to what you need, same principle. https://levelskip.com/rpgs/Hot-to-Turn-Your-Skyrim-Character-into-a-Follower

NPC Energy

From the Creation Kit Wiki:

"Energy

A value from 0–100, Energy determines how often the Actor will move to a new location when in a Sandbox Package."

I have it to 60 on my followers, but the video where I first heard about it had it set to 10 so they would barely move at all.

CnM7pPA.png

kz2YxdI.png

Edited by Niborino9409

This sort of thing, creation kit in general, has always been a series of trial/error experiments, even when the exact same thing worked for someone else. I know it's aggravating, but I promise it's not easy and simple for most people, either. Even highly experienced modders deal with stubborn ck issues.

I'm not one of those highly experienced modders, so anything I suggest will be along the lines of "I'm guessing, but give this a shot," which is how I end up completing the small mods I make.

The place where you're putting them, is it navmeshed already?

Ummm this may be a very silly option - but did you double check that the mod you made is enabled? As thats what happened to me a couple of times (they are not enabled by default). Other than that, make sure that the are you place the NPC into has navMesh, otherwise they are likely not to spawn.

Good luck!

Ummm this may be a very silly option - but did you double check that the mod you made is enabled? As thats what happened to me a couple of times (they are not enabled by default). Other than that, make sure that the are you place the NPC into has navMesh, otherwise they are likely not to spawn.

Good luck!

Its not silly because I've done it a few times. :laugh:

This sort of thing, creation kit in general, has always been a series of trial/error experiments, even when the exact same thing worked for someone else. I know it's aggravating, but I promise it's not easy and simple for most people, either. Even highly experienced modders deal with stubborn ck issues.

I'm not one of those highly experienced modders, so anything I suggest will be along the lines of "I'm guessing, but give this a shot," which is how I end up completing the small mods I make.

The place where you're putting them, is it navmeshed already?

No actually it is not silly at all, how do I enable it? After numerous fails I check to see if it was in my mod list for Nexus mods and I did notice that it does not automatically enable it's self and I can not use the NMM to manage the follower mod I made or at least have not been able to figure it out.

Edited by KuraiNekoMT13