Nexus Mods Redesign - Link Inside

Dark0ne

I don't really like this redesign but it's just my opinion. I don't like the flat simplistic look every is trying to do lately, I'm now reminded of Windows 8/10 when I look at this site, I felt the previous design was much more appealing and original to look at. At first glance at a game's homepage everything you needed was right there, glance up, hot files, glances down the default tab you set such as more recent mods, glance to the side and you have the gallery, but now it's all this scrolling.

Here's a suggestion.

The option to allow people to revert back to the old design.

i pretty much agree w/ all that. it looked very flat. kinda business like. reminded me of a power point pres. and was not intuitive or user friendly

When hovering over a mod in any mod list (e.g. https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/), the mod darkens, and "VIEW MOD" appears. This is suboptimal UX in that it doesn't reward selection, rather it punishes the user by obscuring the very thing they are interested in. My user experience is that the topic of my interest, that which I have just moused over, is now less visible (covered by text) and has gone dark. I know I can click because the cursor is now a pointer, I don't need something in the shape of a button that isn't a button thrown in my face. One of the things which Google got right in their Material Design guidelines is that people respond better to their mouseovers popping up/out of the page.

One solution would be to have hoverable mod images at 0.9 opacity, and upon hover, do two things: (a) bring them to 1.0 opacity, and (b) add a dropshadow around the image box.

Simplest short-term workaround would be to hide the "VIEW MOD" (.view-label class) entirely, and reduce the opacity MUCH less than you currently are. Doesn't take much to trigger the perception of interaction.

Please tell me the new design is going to be optional

Its just.. i really, really, REALLY hate, tiles! They use more bandwith and slow down browsers with even more unnecessary cache. They use too much space, where you have to scroll down more to get all. Yes i am THAT lazy, so sue me.

As soon as i get access to a time machine, im gonna travel back and kill my grandpa (and both grandparents of that §&)$/§ who introducet tiles in Windows 8) to cause a paradox-thingy, just to spare me from ever experiencing tiles.

Whats wrong with the good old, stable, fast, not-that-much-bandwith-eating and clearly-arranged list-design? Nothings wrong with it guv'ner i tell ya.

I like it, a much cleaner look and in particular browsing through images of a mod is a lot easier now. I suspect this will be a lot more usable on mobile/tablets too.

I have a couple of observations that aren't really worth adding to the bug tracker:

• From a mod's images page there's no way to see how many user images there are until you click the "show items by" button, I preferred the older tabbed approach for that.
  • It looks like Skyrim and SSE have the same favicon now. It was more useful before when they were different, particularly when comparing multiple oldrim and SSE mods.
  • Having a game column in download history would definitely be useful if you're viewing your download history from the "all games" view.

But minor points really, overall a great redesign.

Edited by xtcrefugee