So I'm playing NwN2 with a controller and I need help changing the abilities bar :)

rafoca

It 's working pretty well with a xbox controller since there is a way to pause the game on battles. I've put some spells on the bar and I made a shortcut on my controller for them, so LT+A casts the first spell on the bar, LT+X casts the second, LT+Y the third and LT+B the fourth, and RT is used to cast the 5th to 8th spells/abilities. I cycle through the bar layers using LB and RB. It's pretty good, but I'm having a serious trouble associating the spells in the heat of the battle (i.e RT+A to the fifth spell). My mind is playing tricks on me lol

So what I want is a way to put on top (or under) the abilities bar the buttons I have to press to cast the spell. I.e.: RT+A on top of the fifth spell, so I would look at it and know exatcly which spell I will use when I press said buttons. That way I won't have to pause all the time to click on the spell or use the button layout I created on my controller.

Can this be done?

Thanks, mates!

The interface elements are in raw XML, so if you know some XML or are willing to learn enough to do it, you can put the button prompts on there. You can edit the existing bar, or perhaps more easily create a new UI element that overlays the bar, containing graphics of the button prompts. You could even create a diamond-shaped button arrangement on the side of the screen like modern games have, with the button commands in it, but that would take more work.

The main bar is called "hotbar.xml", and is located in your game installation folder, within UI/default/. Copy the file from there into the UI folder in your Documents folder NWN2 hierarchy, and then whatever changes you make to it will appear in the game. It can be opened with any text editor.

To learn the XML used for the NWN2 UI, especially for creating new UI elements from scratch, there is a tutorial manual here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/gui/nwn2-xml-gui-coding-beginners