Skyrim SE VRAM / RAM usage?

Kassu79

Hello

Can somebody explain how memory(VRAM / RAM) is used by Skyrim SE?

I have 8G system RAM and 11G VRAM (1080TI)

Why doesn't Skyrim SE use more VRAM but uses a lot of system RAM. I had low memory error when I was testing new setup!

VRAM usage about 3500 - 4000 and RAM 4500->

I have installed about 40 mods.

Lots of texture mods.

I thought that it would use more VRAM but it eats my system RAM??

I have 1080TI GPU with 11G VRAM and still I get windows memory low error??

Just about all aspects of the game have to be loaded into system RAM, before parts of it are cached and fed to the video card.

Generally you should have more system RAM than you have VRAM

Think of your slowest components being your HD or SSD, files are first loaded and decompressed into RAM so that when they are fed to VRAM on demand the transfer is as fast as possible, so all your graphics textures are shadowed in system RAM aswell as your graphics card VRAM.

If you want to monitor the behaviour for any particular area in the game try Skyrim Performance Monitor 64 for Skyrim SE.

Dont forget also that the OS and anything else you have loading when the machine boots up, is also using system RAM, if you have for example Google Chrome open and multiple tabs, and run the game, Chrome is notoriously heavy on using system RAM per tab that you have open.

I have 16gb System RAM, and 3gb VRAM, which is ample for using a fair few high res texture mods if I wish.

Typically for just the vanilla game without any High Res textures installed, you should be using similar amounts to the following screenshot ..

Yellow line = System RAM

Green line = Graphics card VRAM

3826-0-1486239494.png

Edited by Guest