Wveth

So I'm trying to follow this little guide here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3229344-ctds-maybe-this-will-help-steps-to-diagnose-skyrim-issues/

But I've gotten stuck. Where it says,

"If a mod is orange click on it and look at the right side list again. It should show which mods are out of order. You have three options here depending on your comfort level, one is to simply leave them alone and be content not having anything red. Second is to use WryeBash to make the edit, and third is to use TES5Edit. I prefer WryeBash myself because we are already in there anyway. If you click on those referenced mods you will be prompted to allow changes. If you say yes you can right click on the orange referenced mod names and choose "Change To", selecting the correct mod based on what the list shows."

First of all, I don't think it shows me what's out of order. I mean, it shows me what the selected mod depends on... maybe this mod has nothing out-of-order, so it's not warning me?

And my other problem is with clicking on a referenced mod to be prompted to allow changes. I'm never prompted, and the "Change To..." option is always greyed out.

What obvious thing have I missed?

I have always used TES5Edit to sort masters as it is very easy to do. Just open TES5Edit select none, by right clicking in the field, select the mod in question, click on ok, wait until TES5Edit has run, right click on the mod and click on "sort masters" . Then exit TES5Edit by clicking on the red exit at the top right of the page. A page will come up showing the mod, click on "ok" at the bottom of the page and you are done.

Thanks for the help! Follow-up question: do different mods want different master orders? If so, what do I do?

EDIT: Also I know I'm a serious noob at a lot of things, but I have actually used TES5Edit (and FNVEDIT and FO4EDIT) to change simple things for the games like weapon damage. Easy things like that.

EDIT 2: So I've just been opening every mod that is orange in Wrye Bash in TES5EDIT and clicking "Sort Masters" for all of them. Is that right? It made them all turn green in Wrye Bash, so I assume it's safe to make a bashed patch now?

Yes you should be good to go with a Bash patch. It is not so much that different mods need different master orders as it is that different mods often have different masters. At times when you install those mods the order in which those mods read their masters gets installed incorrectly. It is no real biggie I don't believe and as you have found is relatively easy to correct.

Thanks guys! I got it running and the game is quite a bit more stable now. Definitely a lot fewer crashes (i.e. none) and it clearly spends less time figuring out what all the mods are supposed to be doing.

Cheers.