Use of the "Report" feature

LHammonds, the actions speak for themselves. I've seen several vote one particular mod low and have every single dissenting vote taken away. Every single one. The reasons for each dissenting vote were carefully explained and were valid, but that didn't stop every one of them taken away.

If a person comes along, rates something low WITHOUT reason, then yeah, the vote should be taken away if asked. But if the reasons are listed and valid, they should remain. Do you honestly think people rank mods low just because they hate the modder? Or that they are simply being jerks? Or that perhaps they meant to give a 10 but their finger slipped? If a mod, as in the case of the one mentioned above, causes multiple "help me" threads and repeated CTD's and complete system shutdowns, and nothing is done then the mod in question is malicious in it's intent.

The only times I've ranked a mod low was when the mod causes massive trouble. Modders make FREE additions to a game, and thus should be respected, but not if the mod causes real monetary damage. Taking away dissenting votes and keeping this mod ranked high means every new to modding player who comes along will think it's foolproof.

Shadowcran, you are not aware of this (obviously) but we do not act upon EVERY single report.

Take your above statement for a point. I could take offense at your assumption that I'm too stupid to realize something. I don't care in reality, but I could make a case for it using YOUR analogies. I won't though, as it's beneath me to lower myself to that level

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in a sense i belive that people shouldnt rate a mod dispite its not working right i would just comment and say something like "hey man er look there is a problem with a load a of meshes they are missing can you help" or give a bit of a hand helping them get it right

i try mods before i rate 90% of the low posters i think don't bother

Shepard

LHammonds, the actions speak for themselves. I've seen several vote one particular mod low and have every single dissenting vote taken away. Every single one. The reasons for each dissenting vote were carefully explained and were valid, but that didn't stop every one of them taken away.
If you think a moderator acted inappropriately, then use the REPORT button or send a PM to Dark0ne for review. Nobody said we are infallible. Dark0ne and other moderators have overturned decisions in the past. Keep in mind that it is against the rules to "publicly" question moderator actions though. And please don't talk about generalities (non-specifics) and then say the vote system is a sham because of moderator actions. If there have been 99 actions taken by moderators in a single week and one of them is a bit harsh or not harsh enough, I don't think that is a bad average. But please feel free to act as outlined above for moderator corrections.

The only times I've ranked a mod low was when the mod causes massive trouble. Modders make FREE additions to a game, and thus should be respected, but not if the mod causes real monetary damage. Taking away dissenting votes and keeping this mod ranked high means every new to modding player who comes along will think it's foolproof.
Ditto what I said above.

Take your above statement for a point. I could take offense at your assumption that I'm too stupid to realize something. I don't care in reality, but I could make a case for it using YOUR analogies. I won't though, as it's beneath me to lower myself to that level
The "level" you refer to exists only in your head. I made no accusation you are "stupid" but instead, pointed out that mod authors do NOT get to have ANY vote removed simply because they "are not pleased" with the vote. It is the moderators that decide if the vote should be removed. The REPORT button directs our attention to certain areas but it does not dictate our actions.

LHammonds (Moderator)

• 1 month later...

Suggestion: When Reporting, automatically send a copy of the report to the person whose message are being reported. That way people will know who reported them and why. I find it rather offensive to have messages, where all I did was point out a conflict between two mod, reported and not know why it was reported or by whom.

Maybe then some people would be less inclined to hit the Report button.

Suggestion: When Reporting, automatically send a copy of the report to the person whose message are being reported. That way people will know who reported them and why. I find it rather offensive to have messages, where all I did was point out a conflict between two mod, reported and not know why it was reported or by whom.

Maybe then some people would be less inclined to hit the Report button.

The only problem with this, is that it would result in many personal attacks, and if what you said above would come true, NO ONE would hit the Report button ever. This would leave more pointless malicious ratings out there.

Plus, if someone were personally attacked via PM, the person who originally reported the attacker would most likely retalliate - it's human nature. This would most likely result in twice the amount of bannings; one flamer and one "innocent."

Just my two-cents worth. :yes:

Cheers,

gman021

The anonymous nature of the reports system...ensures questionable activity or posts get reported. All are investigated and actions taken as deemed appropriate.

This is quite a standard on forums, reports contents/reporters are only available to moderators and staff.

If someone does not like the system, they are free to go elsewhere.

Buddah

gman said the exact same thing I was going to but with one addition, we get many "reports" which are people simply trying to reply to a post. English is almost always not their primary language. So you will see some posts from time to time and think "huh? why did that get reported" when the actual case was a mistaken reply.

Removing anonymity would be a VERY bad decision and the reasons for such were already pointed out by gman.

LHammonds

gman said the exact same thing I was going to but with one addition, we get many "reports" which are people simply trying to reply to a post. English is almost always not their primary language. So you will see some posts from time to time and think "huh? why did that get reported" when the actual case was a mistaken reply.

LHammonds

Ah! That explains something to me.

Very, very few mods warrant ratings less than 5, I think.

Cheers guys, keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
I don't intend to commit thread necromancy or anything (sorry ahead of time if it is), but I think a topic as important as this one should be pinned. I had to go three pages back to find this info and newcomers would have to as well when it gets pushed back by newer topics. :mellow:

I don't intend to commit thread necromancy or anything (sorry ahead of time if it is), but I think a topic as important as this one should be pinned. I had to go three pages back to find this info and newcomers would have to as well when it gets pushed back by newer topics. :mellow:

Excellent idea. >DONE<