Am I the only one who feels Bethesda dropped the ball on the Fallout 4 beginning?

darkmage64

So in the beginning of FO4 you create your character, run to the vault, get frozen, see your spouse die and react appropriately to aforementioned spousal death. BUT where I feel they dropped the ball at is when you emerge from the vault. No reaction except for taking a deep breath. No words, no blurred vision, no dropping to knees, nothing. You've just emerged from a vault after being cryogenically frozen for two hundred years and watching your spouse being murdered and now you are seeing the world as it currently exists. The lush greenery and nice bright paint jobs you knew has been obliterated. Everything you had ever known is gone and your only reaction is to take a deep breath? What are some of the things you feel that Bethoosda has dropped the ball on in FO4?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The start had a negative impact on the whole game, you don't spend anywhere near enough time with the baby or your spouse to care about either, then for the rest of the game you're stuck with a player character who cares deeply about something that you don't.

The start had a negative impact on the whole game, you don't spend anywhere near enough time with the baby or your spouse to care about either, then for the rest of the game you're stuck with a player character who cares deeply about something that you don't.

Indeed kitten man

I 100% agree with you here. They rushed the intro for no reason at all. In Fallout 3 you had at least some time to learn about the Vault and your father and friends and stuff, in Fallout 4 you really didn't get anything at all.

I tried to think what is worse, watching my character pop out of a vagina with a first person view in fallout 3 or watching my character spouse get shot in the head in fallout 4 EVERY SINGLE TIME I start either game and I still can't decide yet. They are both just as bad and pointless and not something most people would want to see. With the start in oblivion you are in a jail cell well, ok fine I guess but they just got worse after that. The start to new vegas was more interesting and compelling to continue watching but the graphics are so horribly bad I just can't continue to play the game after getting out of the doc's house.

They could have made a game with many starts both in and out of vaults and a bigger game world too but nope we get this junk we have now. These annoying things won't go away they will continue to make these games more and more boring and annoying people will buy them less and less until the company goes under or the industry tanks again. Sports are in decline since 2015 gaming is debatable when the decline started and things like loot boxes are popping up like kudzu now so it won't be much longer before we see a big change down. I can't play this game anymore I keep trying with different mods but it is just so boring and repetitive I can't go through that whole start up again with all the settlement building and bugged out stuff I just can't do it. Nuka world offered some idea of free to do whatever but it is so small and limited.

They should have made a really big dam game with multiple starts and stories for each start that somehow worked out well together.

I actually kind of liked the settlement building aspect of Fallout 4 but it's not everyones cup of tea. I think it could have been done and implemented better than what it was but I thought it gave a nice diversion for the moments when you're kind of getting tired of running around blasting deathclaws in the face with mini nukes and just plain steamrolling most raiders.

Edited by darkmage64

I tried to think what is worse, watching my character pop out of a vagina with a first person view in fallout 3 or watching my character spouse get shot in the head in fallout 4 EVERY SINGLE TIME I start either game and I still can't decide yet. They are both just as bad and pointless and not something most people would want to see. With the start in oblivion you are in a jail cell well, ok fine I guess but they just got worse after that. The start to new vegas was more interesting and compelling to continue watching but the graphics are so horribly bad I just can't continue to play the game after getting out of the doc's house.

They could have made a game with many starts both in and out of vaults and a bigger game world too but nope we get this junk we have now. These annoying things won't go away they will continue to make these games more and more boring and annoying people will buy them less and less until the company goes under or the industry tanks again. Sports are in decline since 2015 gaming is debatable when the decline started and things like loot boxes are popping up like kudzu now so it won't be much longer before we see a big change down. I can't play this game anymore I keep trying with different mods but it is just so boring and repetitive I can't go through that whole start up again with all the settlement building and bugged out stuff I just can't do it. Nuka world offered some idea of free to do whatever but it is so small and limited.

They should have made a really big dam game with multiple starts and stories for each start that somehow worked out well together.

What are some of the bugs that you have come across? I haven't come across too many myself. The only ones I can think of is the area around Boston Common wanting to freeze up and npcs walking away when I'm trying to talk to them but other than that I haven't really noticed too many bugs.

There are some good things and some bad things about the beginning. Yeah, you leave the vault searching for a kid you don't care about and the murderer of a spouse you don't care about, but to be honest, I don't think I'd give a s#*! about that kid no matter how long the intro was. If anything, the more of my time Bethesda wastes trying to convince me that I care about some imaginary slobbering infant, the more annoyed I'd be. If you ask me, the problem there isn't with the intro but with the overall plot of the game assigning traits to the player character that the player base doesn't actually want.

Beyond that, though, I think there's a lot of good things going on. The pacing and the intricate scripting create a very rich experience--I still feel something when those bombs start to drop and when I make my way out of the vault for the first time. Besides that, despite being a relatively quick intro that gets you out there and exploring the world pretty quickly, it does a good job of teaching first-time players how to play the game whilst keeping you so immersed in the story that it really doesn't feel like a noob cave.

And personally I like that there's no falling to your knees screaming and crying after you come out of the vault. I mean. One of the things that have made Bethesda's RPGs successful in the past is their "less is more" approach to the player character. Maybe I don't want to play the kind of guy who's going to fall down and weep the instant he sees what's happened. Personally if I were in that situation, I'd likely stumble around in shock for a good day or two before I finally caught up enough emotionally to have any sort of reaction. Other people would just shut down entirely. Some people would keep going but cry the entire time. Some people wouldn't be all that surprised. Because there is so little going on on the outside--just a deep breath that could mean anything--you're free to decide how your character must be feeling on the inside. I honestly wish that Bethesda would have taken that approach to *more* parts of the story, particularly interactions with Kellogg and dialogue about Shawn, because those sections always leave me feeling alienated from my own character.

My main problem with the game is complete lack of choice.

Why must I help Preston in the Concord?

I can think of several possibilities to give the player a choice to join the raiders.

For example:player kills almost all the raiders in Concord

but the last one (the boss)begs for his life and offers the player to join him and become outlaw.

So many possibilites from there......

But no go help settlements....