Am I the only one who feels Bethesda dropped the ball on the Fallout 4 beginning?

darkmage64

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably the only fan of their games that loves their story writing. I don't like their coding habits though, having seen them all, and I know I can do better. But I can't write stories better than them. Thus no, I don't feel the beginning was ball dropping.

You actually don't need to be able to to write better stories. It's a common misconception that you are only allowed to criticize things that you can do better.

Normally it's enough to know that there is better storytelling in games out there - and not only in any games but in open world games, too (that's a big difference).

About the coding - I doubt that you've seen all of it, since there is no source code available for us to review. Otherwise there would probably tons of people working on improving the old engines (also getting rid of some of the awful core mechanics) and we would all be playing BGS games instead of complaining.

Another misconception is that people hate something because they criticise it. I do, in fact, love some aspects of their games. Bethesda Game Studios is still No. 1 when it comes to worlds that I want to explore. There is good lore in the games (though poorly fleshed out), the landscapes are beautiful, even if you don't slap a ton of mods on them but it all falls flat on the face once you start interacting with NPCs, dare to think about correlations or deeper meaining or do the fifth side quest with a boring story and three stages.

I honestly think the BGS could have done better with Boston than they did, as well as the Commonwealth, in general. However, I can say that at a good height they did an amazing job at the landscape. I need to check the night sky, but I do think that FNV does have an amazing night sky. I do like a number of games. One amazing game, believe it or not, and one I think is a bit better than the Fallout series at landscapes is actually Assassin's Creed games. Assassin's Creed 3, I believe, did an awesome job between changing seasons, and hampering, a little, the PC as you go about the heavy snow. I believe where BGS dropped the ball with Fallout 4 was in the actual writing of the story, and even some of the factions, and other things. Aside from the whole mess with the main story line, which is a mess of epic proportions, I feel that they just threw about half the stuff they had made canon through Fallout New Vegas, and created mew stuff for Fallout 4. The first big change was power armor. Changing if from a mechanized suit you can put on to one where you have to put in a fusion core, and get into it, that is one huge step. The other problem I have is the whole dialogue system. (I have said that a lot, and I apologize, but it does severely irk me to no end.) There are other things, but I will agree that the Fallout series, since 3, has had great landscapes. And even sky scapes.

I don't mind that part. What I mind is to have a shitty fortune teller character like Mama Murphy, who's just like "Uh duh bro just go 2 Diamond City 2 start main quest cuz game lol". That was dumb. I hate Mama Murphy. How about Preston or Sturges just going, "Hey, I heard there was this detective guy in Diamond City!" Having a folksy wise woman to just point you the next part in your Hero's Journey © is just lame storytelling. Would be okay in an Elder Scrolls game with magic, I suppose.
And yeah, I know Fallout 3 and New Vegas had psychic characters as well, and I wasn't a fan of them, either.

Okay guys, here's your chance to make a difference. https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1809

Apart from having no experience "in the industry", I'm no US citizen and my ideas would probably be way too radical for Bethesda's child-friendly breadcrumb policy. You know, the kind of "going out into the world and exploring it on your own" kind of radical.

Edited by metaphorset

Naive people.You think the company will just allow you to do whatever you want?

You never worked for big companies before have you??

Honestly I posted that job opening as a joke. Obviously not much is going to change in the writing unless you work your way up to lead writer or game director or something like that. Although it doesn't take much to simply remain logical and consistent in the stuff you do write.

Naive people.You think the company will just allow you to do whatever you want?

You never worked for big companies before have you??

Really? You take things way too serious here, mate. Is it the lack of emojis in my posts?

I'm over 50 years old and I have more than enough experience with big companies in general and software development in particular that every little bit of naivety in me died a long time ago.

I am so much the opposite of being naive that I don't want to work for any Game Dev Company out there.