Shiny, glowing mountain and snow

SDM01WOLF

Do you have the snow shader enabled ?.. That can cause some really weird results like shiny / glowing meshes, as well as ugly white spots on the surface of some snowy areas.

As far as I can tell the alpha channels on some diffuse textures are being used as a kind of additional (to the specularity channel in the normal maps alpha) specular effect, and while I was able to tame it for some meshes and textures, I was never able to fully sort it across the entire game... Despite going through every single snow / landscape textures (that were related to meshes I was seeing the issues with) that I could find in pretty much every folder and adding in subtle specular channels if they were missing (since it smells like a missing texture to me for some of the meshes), or editing existing ones to be more subtle... or actually giving them edited or custom specularity maps instead of just a black and white version of the texture (and some other oddities that I think I noticed, forget) that some bethesda artists used since I guess even they didn't fully understand how it was supposed to work, lol.

So for now I would just recommend disabling that broken mess :smile:... unless someone else has figured out a fix in the last 6 months or so since I last had a look into it, haven't checked.

Edited by spookymunky