Dragons Often Unable to Shout

Jamesui

I've run into an issue where about as often as not the dragons I encounter are unable to shout/breathe fire or ice. When they hover or land on a building, they just sorta sit there before the normal time has passed and then they resume their script. When they land, they relentlessly try to close to melee before rising to the air once more and continuing the usual script. When the bug occurs, it pretty much neuters the dragon as a threat and makes the fight utterly dull, but doesn't otherwise break the game.

Modwat.ch list is here.

Has anyone experienced something similar before? I've tried googling for an answer, but, if one exists, its hidden behind a deluge of threads about the player not being able to shout.

3 mods that stand out that may be causing this issue:

Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp <-- i don't recognize this mod, but its a possible cause judging by the name.
Deadly Dragons.esp <- i recognize this mod, this would be the most likely mod that could be the cause of your issue,. if it is indeed mod related, it might even be conflict with another mod. however it may even be a design choice of the mod, to make them use shouts less whilst greatly buffing their melee attacks, thats what i would assume if it is not a mod issue.

Ultimate combat overhaul <--i don't recognize this mod, but judging by the name it sounds like it might conflict with deadly dragons, assuming this mod also edits dragons.

as for your other mods, i either dont reconfinze them or they wont be the cause, basically start with disabling these 3 mods mentioned above, and see if the problem persists, if it does, then i would disable all mods, and enable 5 at time, until you start getting the issue again

also have you sorted your load order using LOOT, and Cleaned Dirty Mods (providing you researched each dirty mod before hand)

Edited by Guest

Hey, Twisted. Thanks for the input.

I'm only seeing ITM dirty records. I'll work on cleaning them, but I don't foresee that being the cause.

I don't think DSR is the cause. It doesn't affect combat, just adds a mechanism for redeeming dragon souls for things like perks and stats.

Disabling the two suspect mods didn't really alter behavior. I did dig down in testing a dragon fight and found a few things, though.

1) Properly timed wards and using the Become Ethereal shout as a dragon is just about to shout sees it sort of hiccup - you hear the opening half second of the fire/ice effect, and its head jerks forward and back, but otherwise the shout is stifled. It seems that this tends to shut down their shouting for the rest of the combat unless...

2) They seem to be able to shout at other targets, and after doing so, they can shout at me again until they sort of glitch out of it again.

So if an assault occurs with a lot of guards about, the dragon will shout at me, hiccup, fight dumb for a bit, shout at a guard, shout at me, hiccup, and so on.