CTD Issue Conundrum

ShadowDW

The worst part for me is I think maybe SKSE had to be updated to compensate for the CC update ? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere, not sure though... I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet since I was waiting to see if it caused any save breaking bugs, but I have been looking forward to it since day one like everyone else... and now i guess it might have to wait till next character maybe if it no longer works for the version I am on ? :sad:

Sorry if that seems self centered in a thread where you may have lost your character, but hey, maybe there's some new skse mods you have been holding out on installing ? silver lining and all that :smile:

Ok, my apologies for not responding to this in a day or two. I have been away dealing with life ... yay?

Anyways, pertaining to the replies (granting I can remember them all lol; if not, I'll edit and reply) ... and thank you to everyone for their input, much appreciated.

Yes, my character did exist prior to Bethesda's version of Nexus, a.k.a. Creation Club, and also, these problems happened post-Creation Club update; probably 3 weeks or so after the fact.

While I do have SKSE downloaded, it is not installed. I am pausing on using the SKSE because it is an ALPHA build. Quite frankly, I'd rather wait for a stable, mostly finalized version of it before I start using it. I have played and used, many things in Alpha stage, and the bugs galore that come with them are not what I want to deal with. I want to play my game, not be a virtual exterminator. No offese meant by saying that, as I did my fair share of time in testing games, modules, etc.

As far as any recent updates, within the past 8-9 days or so, I am unaware of any. So I am still at a loss of A) how my mod load order got rearranged to begin with, and B) how those DLC's got dirty to begin with ... they were clean and the game was progressing nicely with no flaws or issues (aside from some minor stuff that was easily corrected ... but nothing, aside from this, in the past 2 months or so).

As far as any recent updates, within the past 8-9 days or so, I am unaware of any. So I am still at a loss of A) how my mod load order got rearranged to begin with, and B) how those DLC's got dirty to begin with ... they were clean and the game was progressing nicely with no flaws or issues (aside from some minor stuff that was easily corrected ... but nothing, aside from this, in the past 2 months or so).

You know I've noticed changes in my load order as well. sometimes after running loot from inside of NMM different mods are disabled for no reason. Hmmmmm

I think I read somewhere that bethesda decided to re-arrange mod load orders alphabetically .. since you know ... thats a thing they can do... along with screwing over your cleaned files etc and apparently not telling people they have released updates ?... it's all part of the fun !, yay CC!

How long before people notice it might actually be intended maliciousness ?

I mean, it's a good way to prove that the CC is the only thing you can trust eh ?, "look at all these poor broken save files, if only you had paid us to install mods then you would never have had this issue ! paid mods are the way of the future!!!"

I have also spent whatever time I could, looking at those mods in SSEEdit, and I've been seeing some strange things. As I am basically a noob when it comes to SSEEdit, I can recognize when something is out of place ... may not be able to diagnose or fix it, but I can see it damnit! Anyways, I was looking through the DLC .esm's as well as USSEP, and I'm seeing some very strange stuff that I was hoping someone may be able to explain to me (not necessarily derive an answer, but that would be awesome too!)

I was trying to figure why (oh by the way ...) the game was crashing on me anytime I had certain arrows in my pack (namely iron and steel). I looked at the "warnings" about "unused data" in the Dawnguard..esm about these arrows-issue:

Dawnguard-Ammo

Please correct any of this if it is wrong ... Isn't the information within the Dawnguard.esm, supposed to be the same as in the Update.esm as well as the Skyrim.esm? Similarly, isn't the information that is in Hearthfire.esm/Dragonborn.esm, supposed to be the same as in Update and Skyrim.esm's? Further, the information that is in the USSEP.esm, is that information supposed to be injected into all the DLC .esm's, the Update.esm, and the Skyrim.esm? Maybe this can explain why things in these DLC .esm's are dirty (still makes me wonder how they got that way to begin with).

Also of note, I was investigating more than just the arrows issue, and ran across several errors like these:

Dawnguard-Armor

Dragonborn-Body Part

Dragonborn-Idle

Dragonborn-Idle2

Can anyone with knowledge of mods and the SSEEdit help explain this stuff and possibly help me figure out just what the hell happened to my game? Any assistance/explanations would be greatly appreciated. The replies have helped narrow things down thus far, of which I am extremely appreciative of, thank you.

I'm not all that experienced with xEdit.. hmm... As far as I know not all red things are bad though, more just a way of letting you know something has changed ? Like in the dawnguard-armor screenshot all it is telling you is that beth removed a keyword with the dawnguard update, so when you play the game it won't actually be a thing... sometimes that can be intended I guess, and to re-introduce that keyword might run the (insanely minute) risk of breaking something ? Ideally they should have removed it from the update file instead of relying on dawnguard to make the change for SSE, what can you do though hehe.

The end result when you play the game is the same AFAIK, so it makes no difference really besides annoying OCD people like myself :tongue:. I guess one way to describe xEdit is whatever is the furthest to the right is what the game sees when you are playing it, anything red / orange is simply letting you know that what your game will see is either missing or different from what you might want, rather than a declaration that there is a fault that is causing your game to crash. If you see an obvious error you can use it to modify the files, or if you want to play it safe then create a new empty .esp then drag and drop the changes you believe are correct into it, much like USKP does... or most compatibility patch between mods etc.

The "Base Meshes" stuff just makes me rofl, good old bethesda... that doesn't seem right at all? :smile:

Sorry I can't offer much more in the way of help, it really isn't my strong point.

Edited by spookymunky

Well, within xEdit, you can actually edit the data within those files to manually "clean" or otherwise fix, those files by hand, so to speak. Basically, my question was about the data within, pertaining mainly to the Skyrim.esm, because the game relies on the information within the Skyrim.esm master file, first and foremost, before it reads anything else. To my knowledge (I could be wrong, but this is the way I understood it to be) that when data is injected into another file, that data is transferred up the ladder, to the foremost file, so that other files will use that data in the game, hence a load order. So when data doesn't match, you get an error, or if data is missing, you get a warning, and so on. Again, my understanding could be wrong but this is how I understood it.

So back to my question, and I'll use the Dawnguard-Ammo as an i.e. What I'm asking (or really looking for confirmation before I try something lol) is that, am I getting the "Warning: Unused data ..." message because the data that is in the Dawnguard.esm (Dawnguard-Ammo-!A) is missing in the Skyrim.esm file (Dawnguard-Ammo-1B), thus giving me "unused data?" If this is the case, maybe I can manually fix it?

One thing at a time, so let's start with this one lol, then maybe we can work stuff out from here. Spooky, you have been a help so don't think you're not. Removing possibilities is definitely beneficial in my mind so thank you for your replies sir.

I think you are maybe looking at it the wrong way, or I am misunderstanding you... skyrim.esm is the last file the game looks at, it is the fallback... every update / dlc / mod you have casts a black shadow across it that prevents the game engine from seeing what is underneath, that is why load order is so important, that is why everything on the right in xEdit is so important etc :)