Any New News (heh heh) on the VR Market-Front?

VR is still in it's infancy, but these days tech progresses faster than most of us can keep up with! I have little doubt that VR will be evolving and changing rapidly as soon as this initial rush settles down, as companies struggle to one-up the other and become THE face of VR in our world.

For those of us on the fringes of the gaming and computer world, news and rumors of upcoming VR changes tend to fly under our radar. For most newbies, we know "Playstation has that headset thing, and there's that Oculo-something-or-other, right?" As for myself, I'm sort of in the middle, but closer to the newbie side. I know a bit about the initial rush, but I've lost track of things since.

I know there was a rumor that Playstation was attempting to make their system fully PC compatible, but I have no idea where progress is on that (any news there would be helpful). I know Oculus was pretty much the first one out of the gate, but not how they are doing now. If there are any new systems recently released or in planning, I haven't heard of them.

So, any change the more informed among us could share what they know? VR is a pretty exciting concept, but for those of us with small wallets, knowing our options are now, or if we should wait for something new on the horizon, help and advice are QUITE welcome!

This is only the second VR boom, so it's hard to establish a pattern. It should last 2-5 more years, the question is if we get actually usable hardware in that time, or it boils over again until the third boom.

I've recently shifted from cautious optimism to neutral: VR seems to be stuck at unusably low resolutions, the headsets are massive, you have to be careful with your power and data cable, and the need for multi-point room hardware is a big logistical issue. There's nothing worth that hassle, with primitive games that offer little more than "look how different this is".

The two separate struggles to get rid of bulk and cables and to get proper resolution are in conflict. Solving one, but not the other, will leave it a niche solution that will stagnate, but keep some followers.