PC Gaming versus Console- The Reasons to Switch

Fkemman11

Hi

Back in the year 2000 I started playing MS Flight Simulator 2000. It had websites with free downloadable content like this one. With that game/sim I started to prefer playing games that have free online content. After MS Flight Simulator 2000 came MS Train Simulator then MS Flight Simulator X. All other gaming I did at that time was on console.

When oblivion came out I played it on console. In 2007 I read an article about adding mods to it. I found this site and moved from my sim based computer gaming to fantasy based gaming.

Before 2000 I only upgraded my hardware to play the latest games. From 2000 to 2015 I only upgrade hardware to add more content to my modded games. Saving up the get better hardware is very much part of my hobby. In 2015 I got the resolution bug. My GPU purchases have been for higher resolution but my CPU purchases are for mods.

The last console I bought for my personal use was the PlayStation 3. After buying one game(FF X remake) it became my Blu-ray & Netflix player. Also under my TV is a Xbox One S. It has been turned on twice since new.

Right now I have no use for consoles. Before the PS2 all my gaming was done on computers. From 2000 to 2007 most of my games I bought were for consoles so I could go back to using them again.

Later

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I see it.

If consoles were that good on their own, they wouldn't need a busload of "Console Exclusive Games" in order to manufacture a reason the buy a console, if games were released to ALL platforms, and if consoles were released with no exclusives, people would more often than not, just buy the game for their PC, rather than to buy an entire Console Setup just for some new flashy "Console Exclusive" games.

Console Makers are creating the "need" for consoles by making Console Exclusive games, because they know, on their own, competing against a PC, with games released across all Platforms, the console sales would fail miserably.

This strategy makes sense to me for the Japanese. It helps them sell their electronic products in general. I can't fault them for trying that.

It never made sense to me for Microsoft..who practically owns two platforms. It annoys me to no end (as you saw from my rant above). In fact, I'm reinstalling windows as we speak, and updating a few things from the App store. What sucks is a lot of the stuff shown on there is for the Xbox and won't run on PC. Like the Halo stuff. Or Sunset Overdrive. Those would do great on a PC (Halo was released way back when, but none of the sequels).

• 3 weeks later...

Never was a console player and would never switch as I've had some interest in text/photo/image work for quite a while, the latter two meaning my hardware was already some way toward being a decent gaming machine too anyway, even if not always up for the AAAs of the current year with all the bells and whistles on.

Thankfully PC also happens to be the platform of choice for my favourite type of games, western-style CRPGs :D

• 5 weeks later...

There are a lot of different ways of looking at this. The convenience argument seems to favor the console.

Here is my situation: I've got Skyrim on PC and Fallout 4 on console. I haven't played Skyrim in a couple of years and I'm getting the itch to play it again. Problem is it's no longer installed. I also have to reinstall the steam client (cringe emoticon goes here), and I need to reinstall CK and python and nif scripts and blender and nifscope and compressionator and dds plugin for photo shop and unpack all the BSAs. And yes I really need to do all that because on PC I'm not content to just play the game, I want the whole modding experience of being in total control of what I'm doing.

So I can do all of that and start playing Skyrim again, or I can pop the FO4 disk into my XB1 and do another mindless play-through of Fallout. Playing on PC can be a major commitment, where as playing on console is very casual, and sometimes casual and mindlessness is exactly what I want.

There is no right or wrong here. It's just a matter of where you are in your head or in your life at any given time.

There are a lot of different ways of looking at this. The convenience argument seems to favor the console.

Here is my situation: I've got Skyrim on PC and Fallout 4 on console. I haven't played Skyrim in a couple of years and I'm getting the itch to play it again. Problem is it's no longer installed. I also have to reinstall the steam client (cringe emoticon goes here), and I need to reinstall CK and python and nif scripts and blender and nifscope and compressionator and dds plugin for photo shop and unpack all the BSAs. And yes I really need to do all that because on PC I'm not content to just play the game, I want the whole modding experience of being in total control of what I'm doing.

So I can do all of that and start playing Skyrim again, or I can pop the FO4 disk into my XB1 and do another mindless play-through of Fallout. Playing on PC can be a major commitment, where as playing on console is very casual, and sometimes casual and mindlessness is exactly what I want.

There is no right or wrong here. It's just a matter of where you are in your head or in your life at any given time.

Buy a bigger harddrive, and just leave stuff installed. :D

Are there any other options for storing games? I have four games installed right now and have used most of my disk space. I bought a terabyte of Cloud storage but have yet to use it for anything. Also, what about flash drives? I read somewhere that storing games and mods on them doesn't work well.

Hard drives are pretty cheap and most desktops can hold 4 internally. I currently have a little over 2 terabytes, of which a terabyte is taken up by movies.

My problem was that I have another hobby I wanted to use the computer for and I wanted a clean install for it, so I saved the movies on one drive and wiped the rest. What I should have done was buy another drive and setup a duel boot but I was too impatient. Anyway, no regrets other than losing a couple of my unreleased Oblivion mods. The Skyrim stuff is actually backed up elsewhere, but it would still take quite a bit of effort to get it all working again.

I don't trust thumb drives for backups...... and I certainly wouldn't want to try and run a game from one. :) Solid state drives are the hot ticket these days, but, they are indeed more expensive than standard mechanical hdds. Still and all, HDD space has gotten dirt cheap. 2 or 4 Terrabyte drives are actually affordable. (Western Digital Gold drives please. MUCH more reliable.)

This is EXACTLY what I do.

I have 5 drives in my computer for a total of 2.5 TB.

C:\ Operating System (and other garbage that programs insist on installing to "Program Files(x86)" and "Program Files", "My Games", "users", and "My Documents" and APPDATA)

D:\ for Games

E:\ for Audio and Video work and DAW

F:\ Plex Server, Movies etc

I:\ Sounds, Samples, Instruments for E:\ Audio/Video DAW

The games I like, Stay Installed

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines has been on my D:\ drive for about 7 years now, because it's modded and customized and there's no way I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it and figure out what I modded it with.

It's easier to just buy a bigger drive and copy the old drive to the new.