DLCs missing when using mods

sarahh7

I used DAMM (I also prefer it to NMM.) I uninstalled the mods in DAMM, then removed all the content from my override folder, than uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and tried it with no mods.

(As well as deleting any files related to the game after uninstalling, such as the /Documents/Bioware folder.)

At this point, I just reset the computer to factory settings & removed files (the computer is so new it barely had anything on it) and I'm going to try installing the game again, completely fresh. Will update tomorrow, hoping for the best.

Thank you for all your assistance so far!

@gaymorrigan; Sorry, the "NMM" thing was because sarahh7 said she used it so it was mentioned in my earlier "what to do" post.

Yeah, something is seriously borked for you. Hate to hear that anyone had to wipe their machine, (for any reason) but that may be your best option. :sad:

Holy s***. Okay, I think I'm at giving up stage here. Just installed the game again from Steam, and I still have the crashing issue when trying to play as a female character. The DLC issue is fixed though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm so lost here hahaha. The DLC is finally working, but I still can't start the game as a female character. Anyone got any ideas?

I tried the fix shown here, but it didn't do anything. Again, this is a clean install with no mods whatsoever, I'm dumbfounded on what could be causing this.

+I've validated the steam files and everything shows that the files are correct/unmodified/not corrupt.

Edited by gaymorrigan

Weirdly also, I've googled this issue (female character crashing at character creation) and found multiple reports of this issue, with that one fix being the only one I've seen stated to try to fix it, and with many people stating that it also didn't work for them.

I think I'm going to have to ask for a steam refund of the game, if no one has any other ideas. I'm really sad about this, I really wanted to play the game finally on a computer that could handle it really well.

Edited by gaymorrigan

Ohhhhh.... You have a Steam install! Well there's your problem, lady. :laugh:

Just copy down your CD-Key from Steam (or make sure you have the email, or whatever) then un-install that version and re-install the EA/Origin version. Use the same key, (they call it the "Product Code"), and let's see if that doesn't get things sorted. :smile:

Seriously!?! Two completely separate installs, in two separate [Program] folder structures, resulted in the same "crash-if-female" problem???

Seeing as several million other PC users, including myself under Win7, Win8, Win8.1, and Win10, all with multiple installs each, (don't ask) don't have that happen, it points to something outside the game being wrong.

Please provide a DXdiag report. And the crash report, if you know how to grab it. We'll keep digging...

I already asked for the steam refund, I was worried if I didn't with the amount of troubleshooting and trying to get the game to work and how long that was taking that I wouldn't be able to refund the game (the amount of hours it would show spent ""playing"" the game, and how long I had the copy since purchasing.) And if it wasn't going to work, I wasn't going to lose $30.

I honestly don't know why this problem was happening. It only happened ~After~ I uninstalled the game the first time, and reinstalled it again. Before, I had issues with the DLC, but nothing with the crashing upon creating a female character. That only happened once I tried to reinstall it again, and each time I uninstalled and reinstalled after that (even after the complete system reset.)

+I have seen a few other scattered reports online of the same instance occuring, with little to no solutions and many people not finding the cause or a way to solve their problem. I could link them if you want, but googling dragon age origins crash female character turns up most of them.

Edited by gaymorrigan

Right. So I've got no clue how, but somehow my issue got fixed (honestly, it's fixed and I'm so happy about that that I cannot care enough to figure out the ins and outs of WHY this worked.)

I copied directly all of the program files from my old computer, copied directly the Dragon Age documents folder (containing character saves, settings, etc.) and copied my Dragon Age Mod Manager folder, and installed all the mods my other computer was running.

No DLC issues, no crashing on creating a female character. f*#@ing.. magic.

• 6 months later...