SKSE64 2.0.4 and Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.16 Update

pcaviator

So steam automatically updated my SEE version to 1.5.16 today with mainly creation-club fixes. Now SKSE64 loader reports "you are using a newer version of Skyrim than this version supports" & game wont run with SKSE 2.0.4. SKSE64 was working well with a heavily modded game, but now I'll have to wait for the SKSE team to do an update. Also, no steam option to turn off auto-updates. Thanks Bethesda :sad:

Edited by pcaviator

So steam automatically updated my SEE version to 1.5.16 today with mainly creation-club fixes. Now SKSE64 loader reports "you are using a newer version of Skyrim than this version supports" & game wont run with SKSE 2.0.4. SKSE64 was working well with a heavily modded game, but now I'll have to wait for the SKSE team to do an update. Also, no steam option to turn off auto-updates. Thanks Bethesda :sad:

To prevent this in the future, turn off automatic updates. In Steam, right-click Skyrim Special Edition, go down to Properties, then hit the Updates tab in the new window. Under the Automatic updates section at the top, select the option for "only update this game when I launch it."

To avoid Skyrim updates, you will need to play the game in Steam's offline mode. But this only applies to Skyrim Special Edition. You can still go online to use the Steam store, or play other online games, as long as you don't launch SSE.

Also see this post for rolling back to the previous version.

To prevent this in the future, turn off automatic updates. In Steam, right-click Skyrim Special Edition, go down to Properties, then hit the Updates tab in the new window. Under the Automatic updates section at the top, select the option for "only update this game when I launch it."

To avoid Skyrim updates, you will need to play the game in Steam's offline mode. But this only applies to Skyrim Special Edition. You can still go online to use the Steam store, or play other online games, as long as you don't launch SSE.

Thanks, I did that. Sadly, there seems no way to get steam to roll-back game version. :sad:

Edited by pcaviator

I have not tried this method, as I had made a copy of my .exe before updating, but I have seen multiple references to this, with a bunch of favorable comments beneath it, on the official update page, on steam. That being said, I can't speak to whether it is safe or effective to use.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6140428-skse64-fix/

For future, though, this mod may come in handy for you...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12480/?

As for other ways to retrieve your old .exe, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I just visited silverlock.org and SKSE hasn't been updated to match it yet.

I have not tried this method, as I had made a copy of my .exe before updating, but I have seen multiple references to this, with a bunch of favorable comments beneath it, on the official update page, on steam. That being said, I can't speak to whether it is safe or effective to use.

Thankyou, that work fine to roll=back the game version.

Edited by pcaviator

For future, though, this mod may come in handy for you...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12480/?

As for other ways to retrieve your old .exe, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I just visited silverlock.org and SKSE hasn't been updated to match it yet.

Thankyou that method worked fine to roll-back the game version.

Thanks, I did that. Sadly, there seems no way to get steam to roll-back game version. :sad:

the roll back also worked for me. Thank u!!!!

Worked for me as well. Just make sure that you set your steam update preferences to "update when launch only" & "never run background downloads" before you download the rollback. Then go to steam offline mode BEFORE you paste the new .exe, otherwise steam will just re-update skyrim when you open it to go to offline mode. Then just be sure that you never launch the game while you've got steam in online mode again! That should keep us safe from any more unwelcome updates, thanks so much for the link nightscrawl!