Tips for uploaders

Tchos

Some tips for new uploaders, which might be hard to find.

• According to this thread, new uploads will only show up in on the front page's "Latest Files" list if they have a screenshot or other image added. They show up in the full page "Latest Files" list either way.
  • The "File name" field in the upload form should include the name of your mod.
  • You can edit the category, name, or description of your file by clicking "Edit attributes" in the management screen.
  • The category dropdown menu has section headers for NWN and NWN2, so be sure you pick the right game!
  • BBcode for formatting your description pages and adding links can be found here or here.
  • When using BBcode to format an URL, either make sure the URL does not end with a slash (/), or, if it needs to have it, then enclose the URL with apostrophes. Otherwise, it will not appear as a link.
  • More info can be found in this category on the Nexus wiki.
  • You can watch the views, downloads, and comments of all of your uploaded files on the "Manage your files" page.
  • You can use the Tracking Centre to see when any of your favourite mods have been updated, without having to visit each page.
  • Your mod pages can have multiple discussion threads attached to them. One use for this might be to have a thread on a module's page for scheduling multiplayer sessions of that module. Consider linking to such a thread in your file description.
  • Tags make your file easier to search for. As the mod uploader, your "vote" on a tag is worth 99, while others are worth 1. This is so you can automatically approve any tag you consider appropriate, or veto a tag suggested by other users.

Other tips?

Edited by Tchos

Another tip for uploaders:

• If you upload numerous mods, and want to have another central place to see when comments were made on any of your mods, by whom, and when, then click on the "View forum thread" of your mod's comment page. From there, you can click "Watch topic", and it will appear in a list of your subscribed topics which you can view here. It doesn't seem to send you email when a comment is added, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Another tip for modders:

You can monitor the comments for all of your mods quickly and easily on a single management page, seeing which files have new comments, and when they were added. There are two ways to do this. You can just visit your mod management page (link only works if you're logged in), and view the comment and discussion numbers there. On that page, you can also see how many views and downloads all of your files have gotten.

Another way (the way I do it), is to click to view the file's comments, then click the little "view forum thread" link on the upper right of the comment block, and click "watch topic". After I've done that, I can view all my subscriptions from this page (I have it bookmarked). If I see there was a new one posted, I click the little arrow icon next to the date of the last post to take me to the latest post.

For those who have fewer mods and just want to see the comments directly, you can just bookmark the forum threads themselves. Whatever you reply there also shows up on the mod download page.

You can monitor the comments for all of your mods quickly and easily on a single management page, seeing which files have new comments, and when they were added. There are two ways to do this. You can just visit your mod management page (link only works if you're logged in), and view the comment and discussion numbers there. On that page, you can also see how many views and downloads all of your files have gotten.

The mods management page is useful for seeing all of your mods at once. However, is there a way to create a link to all of your mods for someone else to see? I'd like to have a link people can click on and it shows them all of my mods. I haven't found a way to do that with Nexus.

Regards

There used to be a "more mods by this author" link in the beta version of this design, but it seems to have been removed.

The fact that the profiles default to user info rather than mods makes it tricky. I checked the source code, and I see the info you want is located here, http://neverwinter.n...ods/?id=4164833 with the ID number being different for different people. But that returns unformatted text and images.

I tried to find a way to format a link so that it would go directly to the file tab in your profile, but nothing seemed to work. I was, however, able to get your list of files to display itself inside the page for one of your mods. Not very ideal, but it's formatted, at least. http://neverwinter.n...ods/?id=4164833 If I could get that to display on your profile page, that would be better. I'm just a user, though, so I don't know the underlying workings of the code.

Edited by Tchos

I was, however, able to get your list of files to display itself inside the page for one of your mods. Not very ideal, but it's formatted, at least. http://neverwinter.n...ods/?id=4164833 If I could get that to display on your profile page, that would be better. I'm just a user, though, so I don't know the underlying workings of the code.

This is pretty close. Could be a little confusing to a user, but if they scroll down they at least see them all. Thanks much.

Regards