Modding NPC behaviors/agrresion

Jordanecus

Hi, i just wanted to talk about the topic of NPC classes and their packages. (no giggity)

I've noticed that when trying to mod, specifically leveled NPCs, that some run on the same AI package for the most part, but some have different variants. For example; i wanted to alter the behavior of necromancers. Lower level ones use the Warlock01 AI package, and the higher level ones use Warlock02, Warlock 03 and so on. I've also notice that i can only change the aggro for these packages on the very base one: Warlock01. So i was wondering if anyone could explain for future reference why there are multiple packages for these AI, when all of them seem to be pretty much the same as i can tell. And why you can't seem to be able to edit them.

There seemed to be no forum out there that covered this, so its either extremely obvious, or cited somewhere else under a different catagory.

Thank you for your time, merciful, brilliant people of nexus modding community!

I've never messed with aggression in the AI package. I tend toward simple follower mods, for personal use, but I use the AI data tab, usually set them to unaggressive, foolhardy. That way they won't initiate combat and break my stealth, but they won't run away either. Then I just use the AI packages for sandboxing, traveling, sleeping, etc.

I've never messed with aggression in the AI package. I tend toward simple follower mods, for personal use, but I use the AI data tab, usually set them to unaggressive, foolhardy. That way they won't initiate combat and break my stealth, but they won't run away either. Then I just use the AI packages for sandboxing, traveling, sleeping, etc.

Hmmm, ok. I guess that will do. It would be a lot of editing if i was going to say, change every necromancer in the game from "very agressive" to just "agressive". But even when i try going to AI data, all the boxes under AI attributes are grayed out and i cant seem to make changes to them. Once again if anyone has any information on these AI packages and what the difference is between an ice warlock and a fire warlock would be and why they need individual packages for classes or enemies that should be relatively the same. Example all the necromancers in the game could use the same package as the regular warlocks or the magic bandits, but they dont? Thanks again for the information. I will keep looking through nexus, might be coverd in th original skyrim mods forum.

Ok, nvm. I think i almost have it cracked. So in the creation kit i can edit actor base a template is using for an AI package. So for example EncWarlock04TemplateConjurer and many others use the actor base EncWarlock00Template. I can edit the aggression from "very agressive" to "agressive" for EncWarlock00Template and that will then change the base for most of the templates. BUT some templates will use EncWarlock04Template as an actor base, and it doesnt seem to carry over, even though EncWarlock04Template is now based on an actor base who is "agressive". Its driving me nuts! Hope this gets solved, i cant be the only wanting to change things like this and having problems.

I think it has to do with whether use AI Data is checked, in the boxes below the template. If the character doesn't use the template's AI data then it won't carry over. If you check the templates, they usually (not always...) come back to a leveled character, like a template for the template. See if the lvlcharwhatever is set to. Then in the object window, right click that lvlchar and hit "use info" (or words to that effect...am not in ck at the moment, to check) and it should give you a list of all the templates and/or actors that use it.

• 1 month later...

I think it has to do with whether use AI Data is checked, in the boxes below the template. If the character doesn't use the template's AI data then it won't carry over. If you check the templates, they usually (not always...) come back to a leveled character, like a template for the template. See if the lvlcharwhatever is set to. Then in the object window, right click that lvlchar and hit "use info" (or words to that effect...am not in ck at the moment, to check) and it should give you a list of all the templates and/or actors that use it.

Hey, thank you so much for the help! I ended up editing the very base package, or the "root" package if you will. Which was EncWarlock00Template, and then there were a few packages that had the base package set to EncWarlock02, so i had to change that as well. So far so good! :D Once i was able to see what all templates used what packages, it was simple to figure it out from there, so thak you so much for your knowledge!