NecromancerOfTamriel

Hello everyone.

So, I had an idea for a spell mod that would be both unique and could also be added in what I could see as a lore-friendly manner into the setting of Skyrim - as the title suggests, I refer to the infamous Magic Jar spell of Dungeons and Dragons (also found in things like Pathfinder).

Since I lack the experience and know-how of coding, model-making, etc. - though I would love to learn such things at some point when I have the chance to initiate it - I thought I could at least post the idea here and see if anyone with the expertise and understanding of mod-making/coding could try their hand at it. Essentially, the idea is as follows: Through a miscellaneous quest upon completing of The Black Star, you could find research notes by Malyn Varen on his attempts of storing his soul inside Azura's Star and a theory he ponders of being able to force a black or white soul into the Star while his own is thrusted into the body of the trapped soul. Upon finding these notes, perhaps going to Nelecar or a voiced, new NPC that is familiar with Malyn's work - or even using Malyn Varen's Grimoire to try and experiment yourself and create the spell in question through his notes - would result in the creation of this new, insidious spell.

Essentially, the spell would as you would expect of the spell in a game of D&D - you drop the Black Star if empty (or perhaps a modified, permanent Black Soul Gem that could have been warped/refined through the quest if desired - maybe as a way to avoid potential repercussions by Azura for ruining her artifact and trying to mimic Malyn Varen) on the ground and cast the spell (it would be cast like a Master Level spell such as Dead Thrall) it leaves your character "dead" - they fall to the ground, unable to move or act but would really be in a state of vulnerable stasis and your control and camera shifts to the Black Star/modified Soul Gem. Afterwards, you gain Detect Living and Detect Dead and have two options - pressing the Shout/Power button returns you to your body and causes your character to rise back up and become controllable again or, if you find an NPC or a creature (no Dwemer Animunculi or Dragons though - one has no soul while the other couldn't have their soul trapped in the gem due to their nature in the lore), you can aim your reticle over them and press the interact button to try and wrest control from them. This could either be a guaranteed action or it could be affected by different factors - their level vs yours, maybe your Conjuration skill level affects the chance of success, something like that - but upon success, control is given to you over the actor/creature and the Soul Gem can be interacted with/picked up/carried.

I don't know how possible it is, but this mod could be promising if it can be made and functions as close to the table-top spell itself as possible. If possible, this spell could even have similar drawbacks such as requiring the gem and your body to be close if you try to return otherwise death occurs.

Anyways, feel free to offer feedback or advice, but for the most part take this idea into consideration and feel free to try your hand at it if you'd like. :)