New PC Build - Skyrim Mod Files Management

Hey gang,

So, I'm planning a new PC build soon to upgrade my aged (but trustworthy) FX 8370. I'm thinking about an 8700K. The problem is, I love my current SSE build. I have all of the files on a dedicated SSD that's not the C drive. Would it be possible to just plug the dedicated SSD drive into my new build, format it, download Nexus, and then tell nexus where all the files are and load them up - or is the process more involved than that?

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

If the SSD is NOT your O/S drive, get the machine built, and running, and THEN install the SSD. You *should* be able to install NMM, point it at the right files/folders, and be back in business. You may have to reinstall your mods..... as I don't know where NMM stashes its profile information. I would not be surprised if the procedure for doing what you want isn't documented somewhere...... You can't be the first one to want to do it. :D

Bump - anyone upgraded their build recently and may have an answer? Thanks!

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking. In a way I don't mind building from the ground up - but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to.

My OS is on a different drive so that shouldn't be an issue (I hope).

• 2 months later...

Hey gang,

So, I'm at the building phase. Does anyone have suggestions about if I can plug in my SSD (not C:), download Skyrim Special Edition (hopefully the version that works with SKSE 64) download nexus and then point it to the files that it could work? Thanks for your help!

Ha! It worked! This is all I did:

1) Rename file paths to former names of drive on previous build (changing the letter "C: as an example"). I didn't have to move my saved games location after renaming the drives.

2) Changed the steam library location in Steam under settings

3) Re-downloaded Nexus

4) Re-downloded Loot (I guess optional)

5 Updated ini (just launch the game) and changed with BETH ini (optional)

6) Launched Skyrim - Done!

Thanks for your help, y'all! This thread may help someone in the future.

I did the same when I built a new computer. I am curious, what are your new specs?

• i5 8400 (I'm gaming in 4K so the 8700 K wasn't needed)
  • EVGA 1080ti (carried over from my last build that I bought for MSRP in September. As of right now - forget about it)
  • ASUS ROG Strix z370 -E Gaming Mobo
  • G Skill Trident DDR 4 RAM 3200 2 x8 GB
  • Samsung EVO 960 SSD NVMe 500 GB (I wanted to put all mods on here but since everything carried over from my last SSD I'll just keep it there I guess).
  • Corsair 750 PSU
  • x2 SSDs
  • x1 HDD
  • Corsair Crystal 570x case (a bit of a splurge but it looks so damn cool).

I'm getting around 10 FPS better over my last build (both using the 1080 ti) @4k - that's with all maxed settings and an ENB.

I did the same when I built a new computer. I am curious, what are your new specs?

• i5 8400 (I'm gaming in 4K so the 8700 K wasn't needed)
  • EVGA 1080ti (carried over from my last build that I bought for MSRP in September. As of right now - forget about it)
  • ASUS ROG Strix z370 -E Gaming Mobo
  • G Skill Trident DDR 4 RAM 3200 2 x8 GB
  • Samsung EVO 960 SSD NVMe 500 GB (I wanted to put all mods on here but since everything carried over from my last SSD I'll just keep it there I guess).
  • Corsair 750 PSU
  • x2 SSDs
  • x1 HDD
  • Corsair Crystal 570x case (a bit of a splurge but it looks so damn cool).

I'm getting around 10 FPS better over my last build (both using the 1080 ti) @4k - that's with all maxed settings and an ENB.

What monitor(s?) do you use?