New Vegas NMM Archive Invalidation Problem

Chris500

I have been having a strange problem with NMM involving New Vegas; whenever I try to apply Archive Invalidation it responds with this message, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I look through the entire install folder of New Vegas and cannot find the Archive Invalidation bsa, so that's a telling sign that something is wrong. I have looked online for information related to this problem but with no luck.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling New Vegas to see if that works but nothing seems to work here. If anyone can help figure this out I would be greatful.

If you have the game installed in the default "Program Files" folder, that is your problem. The Windows User Account Control (UAC) is preventing any changes to be made.

Instructions on how to move the game and the Steam folder are available on Steam.

Yes, NMM Archive Invalidation. Also, I have NMM installed in the Games folder outside of Program Files(x86). The Archive Invalidation tool has worked before, it's just recently that it refused to work and giving me that object not referenced message.

Here's something weird; I play new vegas to see if it works and it starts up fine, so I try installing a mod(Vanilla Hud Remastered) and applying archive invalidation and it tells me I need to change the ini from 'read only' because I started the game through the launcher, I do. Archive Invalidation is applied without the 'Object Reference is not set' showing up, so I start the game and it works.

However, when I try to unapply and reapply archive invalidation after quitting the game the message reappears. Funny thing is even after giving me the message it still says 'Would you like to apply/remove' each time like it is actually applying and removing. Unfortunately I cannot test any further because the game crashes whenever I try to load it through nvse for some reason.

The 'Object is not set' message does not occur with any other game, just New Vegas... curious.

Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

-Dubious-