!RANT! Legendary Everything...

RngrHawk

Hey guys!

So just to start off, this is literally gonna be a rant about how Bethesda decided to add Legendary Items and enemies into Fallout 4. If you are not in the mood or you have some very specific feelings about this topic, please don't go ham in the replies. I just wanna have a friendly conversation if anyone at all is interested. And besides, i wanna get this out there.

Lets start. Is it just me, or a very small group of people from the Fallout community that thinks that Legendary items/enemies shouldn't exist in a game such as fallout 4? I mean, to me it only feels like they break the game. In balance, immersion AND even lore (Btw i am a massive lore geek). I use mods that remove these, but wouldn't it be way better for them to focus on something way better suited for this game than this? Imagine the time they would save, instead they could have created more actual unique weapons with quests and back stories to them. I would enjoy the game way more if that was the case.

Legendary enemies do not make any sense either. Now, I understand that some people will say "Oh ye but this is an unrealistic game, have u ever seen a super mutant irl????" No, of course not. But this is not the point. The game should have game play elements that fit into the world it is set in, and that touches onto mechanics as well. It touches on everything pretty much. I would understand this way more if for example stronger enemies had a chance for some sort of unique mechanic instead of just "Hold on a sec just gotta regen all my life, oh done lets go". For example, wouldnt it be nice if supermutants went into berserk mode which makes their damage with melee weapons higher, protection higher and also made them run a bit faster? Meanwhile they switch from a ranged weapon to a melee weapon to use their berserk effectively. Now this is what would fit into Fallout if you ask me. Another example would be cool if a raider simply used some random drugs, like a medx, jet and buffout.

But well, this is just a rant and we cannot do much about Bethesda just trashing their games into oblivion (See what I did there ;d). I hope someone comes up with a mod similar to what i just explained, but this if for the future... maybe.

I've got no problem with legendary enemies. I don't find them lore breaking at all, but then I'm not much of a lore person. Maybe my imagination is just too strong? I'm able to rationalize their existence just fine in my mind.

The way i see it, it's perfectly reasonable for one out of every 50 or whatever creatures to be stronger than the rest. To be the kind of thing that, when on the brink of death, find their second wind and fights more ferociously than before.

Now, that doesn't mean i like legendary weapons. I agree that it would have been much better if there were just a bunch of truly unique weapons and armor, only obtainable through some special dungeon our quest. But i guess that would have been too much work.

However, i do like the excitement that comes when you see a legendary enemy, and know you'll get something fancy. I dunno what Bethesda could add to them to replace legendary items. Maybe just some kinda special chem that kicks in automatically for you when you hit 50% health? Makes you alot tougher for like 10 seconds?

I've got no problem with legendary enemies. I don't find them lore breaking at all, but then I'm not much of a lore person. Maybe my imagination is just too strong? I'm able to rationalize their existence just fine in my mind.

The way i see it, it's perfectly reasonable for one out of every 50 or whatever creatures to be stronger than the rest. To be the kind of thing that, when on the brink of death, find their second wind and fights more ferociously than before.

Now, that doesn't mean i like legendary weapons. I agree that it would have been much better if there were just a bunch of truly unique weapons and armor, only obtainable through some special dungeon our quest. But i guess that would have been too much work.

However, i do like the excitement that comes when you see a legendary enemy, and know you'll get something fancy. I dunno what Bethesda could add to them to replace legendary items. Maybe just some kinda special chem that kicks in automatically for you when you hit 50% health? Makes you a lot tougher for like 10 seconds?

Well see thats the thing, I support your idea of how legendaries are a good addition to the challenge. But if i was given a chance to design a system in place a legendary enemies I would do something different. Yes I would imagine it the same way you do, as in the stronger enemies just a take a quick rebreather and get on with it, but I would still see it being done a bit more realistically instead of just... well glowing or whatever the hell that is they do haha :P For example, I wouldnt really make them as visible, by that i mean I wouldnt display "LEGENDARY MOFO" on top of their heads. Instead I would make them a completely RNG spawn inside of a group of enemies where they are hard to differentiate from the others, where the player wouldnt know until they got hit for half health. In a survival setting like Fallout 4 these type of mechanics are what make the game, and Im a bit disappointed that Beth didnt take much example from FNV hardcore and some great mods that made F3 and FNV so much more playable and interesting.