Archive invalidation Invalidated mod, textures unchanged.

I download the latest qarl texture pack.

https://rd.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45931

Qarl's Texture Pack 2

I'm using oblivion mod manager, NMM isn't compatible with OMODS (I have lots.)

The QTP2's OBMM instruction don't match the app. So, I made an educated guess. Didn't work. I tried using:

https://rd.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10724?tab=files

I used the installer. No effect.

https://rd.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2097

What is going on??

Also, I just found this. I'v already install a LOT of mods. I hope this version overwrites the old one. So, I don't have to reinstall everything.

https://rd.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/32277?tab=files

Download manual, installer, and Launcher Fix.

The latest QTP is QTP3. And, if archive invalidation via BSA redirection doesn't work, check the (modified)file date of BSA files. They should be like:

Oblivion - Meshes.bsa: 2006-01-29 (YYYY-MM-DD)

Oblivion - Misc.bsa: 2006-02-08

Oblivion - Sounds.bsa: 2006-01-30

Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa: 2006-01-30

Oblivion - Voices1.bsa: 2006-01-24

Oblivion - Voices2.bsa: 2006-01-24

The latest QTP is QTP3. And, if archive invalidation via BSA redirection doesn't work, check the (modified)file date of BSA files. They should be like:

Oblivion - Meshes.bsa: 2006-01-29 (YYYY-MM-DD)

Oblivion - Misc.bsa: 2006-02-08

Oblivion - Sounds.bsa: 2006-01-30

Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa: 2006-01-30

Oblivion - Voices1.bsa: 2006-01-24

Oblivion - Voices2.bsa: 2006-01-24

So, bsa invalidation is what the pic shows and I used that. That's isn't working. I just found a web article mentioning BSA redirection. It's BSA redirection then? Alright, I'll try that.

You don't need to for meshes, right?

If you're on Steam, it's needed for just about everything that's a replacement (NIF, KF, WAV, MP3, ...), otherwise it's only needed for textures, right.

Yes, BSA Redirection should be used over all other means. But the stand-alone mod Archive Invalidation Invalidated you linked "is" utilizing the BSA Redirection approach already and none other.

BSA Redirection is installing an empty dummy BSA file into your data folder and editing your Oblivion.ini (in your "My Games" folder usually) so the entry "sArchiveList" has it at the place where usually the Oblivion Textures BSA is listed, shifting that one to a different place. For some reason this makes it so the only BSA ever requiring Invalidation for external resources to be used over what's inside is the empty dummy one from then on, which is effectively undoing the very need for Archive Invalidation to begin with once and for all (or unless either the dummy BSA goes missing or your Oblivion.ini gets changed so the wrong "sArchiveList" gets restored).

So if you're using the mod you linked for your Archive Invalidation means, also make absolute sure all its changes, as described above, have been applied, especially the change to "the right" Oblivion.ini (some people have multiple, only the one in "My Games/Oblivion" is the right one).

And if you're on Steam, you will also have to re-date the timestamps of the original game's BSAs as they cam from Steam, for Steam has had the brilliant idea to make it so the date the file was last downloaded is the "last modified" date of the BSA, while in Oblivion "last modified" date trumps just about everything and always, even Archive Invalidation means. No external replacement file will ever be used, if it's date is older than what's already there, even inside a BSA with a newer date, thus even Invalidation has no chance in hell to succeed, unless these bogus BSA timestamps are fixed.

There's 3rd party tools which can do that, but I don't know any myself, maybe ask on the Steam forums for some. If you already have the Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM), there's a "Reset BSA timestamps" button on the "Archive Invalidation" dialog from the "Utilities" menu button you just have to press once and be done with it.

edit: Oh, one more thing. Do not mix different A.I. approaches from different tools. They can undo each other. Always ever use only 1 at a time. Especially get rid of any left-over "Archive Invalidation.txt" file(s), also in subfolders, created previously either by you manually, following some outdated mod install guide, or by one of the many tools for mod management, as they all can do most of these automatically as well, sone even place their file into a different sub-folder then.

If for any reason there's an "Archive Invalidation.txt" file remaining somewhere and it's still containing a list of some files, this will instruct the game to use external replacement file X over the internal one from inside the "now empty, remember?" dummy BSA, which is known to cause multiple random texture and/or mesh issues inside the game.

Oh, and, ever want to force a missing texture error in your game? Just enter a DDS file replacement into your "Archive Invalidation.txt" which doesn't exist outside of its BSA and go look for the model in game which should have the texture. E'viola, a pink, or pitch black/invisible even sometimes, object right in front of your eyes! This file's fun to mess up your game with, when used without caution.

FYI.... need to finish reading/studying the above.

Need to add this, OBMM when it uninstalls a mod it removes the files, not replacing them with the originals like NMM does right? I was using archive invalidation invalidated. I uninstalled by OBMM, removed the frostcrag esp, causing a crash. I had to manually add the original back in. You need a full obivion directory with all the original files to arc inval invalidated.

I'v had to reinstall obivion from scratch. Kvatch crash seems to have been fixed. I found the solution to CTD crash in first person mode. I have the gog oblivion version + script extender gog version. Yes, I was getting the pink textures.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the details. I finally was sure it was working when I installed an Alyied texture set. Gecko's texture set makes those ruins look old, gritty, and dusty. :smile:

Also, I used all the reset buttons in all the tabs. Then did BSA redirection.

>Oh, and, ever want to force a missing texture error in your game? Just enter a DDS file replacement into your "Archive Invalidation.txt" which doesn't exist outside of its BSA and go look for the model in game which should have the texture. E'viola, a pink, or pitch black/invisible even sometimes, object right in front of your eyes! This file's fun to mess up your game with, when used without caution.

I had pink textures, before oblivion last reinstall. I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by Guest